Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2007 10:23:53 PM EDT
I'm going to be getting back into working out (weights mostly, hopefully no running ) here soon and I've come to realize that I have no shoes suitable for such activities.  I was browsing around on Zappos.com and I came across the section of wrestling shoes.  A couple lifetimes ago I wrestled and I always liked how light they felt and how "close" you felt to the ground.  Back when I used to squat and deadlift heavy I'd sometimes not wear shoes at all and I kinda liked that, too.  Plus, when I was working out at the YMCA back home there was a guy who worked out in them and he DEFINITELY had his shit together in the gym.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 5:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Do wrestling shoes have a flat sole?  If so, I can see why some lifters would favor them.  Alot of heavy squatters wear old converse chuck taylors because an athletic sole can "give" a little too much.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do wrestling shoes have a flat sole?  If so, I can see why some lifters would favor them.  Alot of heavy squatters wear old converse chuck taylors because an athletic sole can "give" a little too much.

Supposedly, Chucks, ballerina shoes, and barefoot are the shit for deadlifting.  For squatting it is supposed to be combat boots.  Use the elcheapo ones from china, since the soles have no give to them.

Personally with me, since I crank up a lot of weight.  I wear a pair of cheap shoes I got at Wally world about 6 years ago.  I personally couldn't tell the difference in my performance  They are just shoes.  If it were me, I would buy some cheap shoes for the gym, and spend the difference in buying some high quality protein (steak)  at the grocery store.

Link Posted: 9/27/2007 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I still lift in my wrestling shoes from College and I've been out for 5 years.  Nothing beats them for squat or any leg/power lifts.

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I found a pair of Nike wrestling shoes at Eastbay on sale for $40, so I'll let you guys know how they are next week.  Totally unrelated fact, this is the first pair of Nikes I've bought since 2001
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoes came today.  My initial reaction was that they're small, smaller than any other size 13 shoe I've ever worn.  I don't think it's a bad thing, though, as I was wearing them around my appt. and they felt really good.  The fit is almost like a sock.  MUCH lighter than I was expecting and they have more cushion on the soles than I would have imagined.  All in all I think it's going to be the start of a beautiful friendship
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I only wear my wrestling shoes when I am wrestling. I would not run in them. I lift weights at home, and I find it is very comfortable to lift barefoot. (wood floor)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
My college football coach always lifted in his wrestling shoe.  He said he got a better feel when he did heavy cleaning and squats
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
About 11 years ago I was looking for high top style wrestling shoe for working out. I like the high tops for the thin sole and ankle support since I've had ankle injuries. A shoe rep introduced me to a volleyball shoe. The sole was similar to the wrestling but the upper had thin fiber glass molded plates to give support to the ankle. I still use them today in my workouts......
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:59:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I wear wrestling shoes for boxing, kickboxing, and wrestling.  

For lifting or wearing with jeans...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top