BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 29
Posted: 7/26/2007 5:43:30 PM EDT
Pain is in the forecast

Link Posted: 7/26/2007 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello.............. Remman...........anyone - wow, Westside principles excite you guys about as much as Shark Week
Link Posted: 7/27/2007 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you going to be working out at Westside Barbell? That is very cool. I am only passingly familiar with them, but understand they have quite the reputation in the powerlifting world.

Let us know how it goes/what you are doing.

Will you have a trainer/coach or are you just lifting there?
Link Posted: 7/27/2007 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Will be working out there with Matt Wenning as my trainer.  Westside is not an open gym - you go there and get worked out in a group.  The group philosophy includes intense scrutiny towards using proper form, as you have multiple spotters at all times.  This is to avoid injury, and one of the reasons why I'm going there.  I'm constantly nagged by training injuries.

Here's a link - notice they do not offer the address to the gym.  That is given by invitation. www.westside-barbell.com/
Link Posted: 7/27/2007 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
That is really neat.

How did you get hooked up with these guys?

Do you plan on powerlifting competitively?
Link Posted: 7/27/2007 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Matt Wenning is a friend and has been trying to get me to train there for awhile now, but my own uneducated predetermined opinion was that the training was all "go big, go heavy"  every day, which my 40 year old body can't take.  After learning more about their principles, and Matt guaranteeing their methods are acually SAFER than the workouts I've been doing for more than half my life - I decided to give it a shot.  I started this thread to share the info I glean from lifting with these world reknowned athletes.  I have no desire to compete, but a strong desire to improve my overall size and strength, rehab injuries, and ensure I am fit enough to continue as a professional firefighter working on the street, not riding a desk.
Link Posted: 7/28/2007 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I would very much appreciate and update on what exercises they have you doing along with sets/reps.

Let us know how it goes!
Link Posted: 7/29/2007 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Today was speed training:  Warmed up upper body by pulling sled with 2 plates through the parking lot, using various movements I would compare to seated rows, upright rows, and tricep extensions.  Then went to football bar presses with approx 245lbs X 5 reps for 7 sets.  Green bands were used, so you're literally throwing the weight up as fast as you can.  Then went to Kettle Bell bench, just an Olympic bar with kettlebells hanging from bungee cords on each end.  3 sets for 25 reps.  This was HARD.  The bells swinging make you unstable, and you have to incorporate many accesory muscles (which is the whole idea) to stabilize the bar. Then football bar lat pulldowns, using all 3 grip positions.  These are down standing @ 100lbs, pulling the bar to your bellybutton for 12 reps.  Then on to tricep pushdowns to failure with a purple band for 3 sets.  This concluded the workout.  Keep in mind, I only had one guy in my group, with 2 trainers spotting/supervising.  So as soon as I got up from the bench, my partner was lying back down.  Rest period was 30 secs or less. I'm going in the morning for lower body, he said I'll be pulling a sled in the parking lot again, but with a lot more weight !!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2007 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Maximum Effort legs this A.M.
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 5:30:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds painful. It is amazing how many muscles you have in your body once they are all sore.

What is a football bar? What did the sled look like? Did you pull it backwards? Over a shoulder?
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#10]
football bar is hard to describe - I think there's one on the site I linked above.  Sled pulled backwards, with Y shaped webbing attached for lateral raises while pulling for shoulders & traps, rowing, and overhead tricep extensions.  Just got back from Maximum effort upper body - and managed 185 lb bench with double pirple resistance bands on each side which equates to 400 lb at maximum extension.
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#11]
football bar press - not me, & not at Westside

www.youtube.com/watch?v=68zrhBL2xlQ
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Looked at the football bar. I see why they named it that. It is the motion the down lineman use to get seperation. It looks a lot easier on the the wrists than narrow grip bench.

How do you like the bands? I have been thinking about adding them to the home gym. I see you used them on DE days and ME days. What are the reasons they have you using bands on both? Have you used chains much?

Have you done a DE leg day? If so, what are they having you do?

I wish I would have known in high school what I know now. Our coach tried some of this stuff, but didn't really know what he was doing. He tried using a rolled up towel to aproximate a board for board press and we had some chains, but hung them so high that they were off the ground the whole time. We weren't eating enough, so the smaller things wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Do they have you watching your diet or do they make any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Bands are used daily - on ME days they work against you, on DE days they assist with speed & explosiveness.  Today was DE lower body, with explosive belt squats (with bands working against me this time), reverse hypers, glute ham machine, and cable ab work.  This was all preceded by 6 trips to the fire hydrant pulling the sled with a belt using long strides.  Diet is not an issue for me, as Matt knows I watch my diet and protein load.  I told them today when I finished, that every time I complete my workout I feel a sense of accomplishment, much moreso than when I train at my regular gym.

ETA: BTW when I got there this A.M. an 80 year old stroke victim was pulling the sled around the perimeter of the building, and doing a kettlebell workout with Matt.  Since he started training, he has regained the use of his right side, and doesn't walk with a cane, etc.  Interestingly, he's a retired MD.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#14]
How did I miss this thread?

How do your quads and lower back feel?  
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was gettin' a little worried !  Quads & lower back are actually really good - hamstrings/glutes are killing me!  So far they're taking care to strengthen my core (reverse hypers & heavy ab work).  I haven't even begun to deadlift or bar squat yet.  Still using equipment that trains for precise form, and a LOT of accessory muscle training - i.e. Today was DE upper body & they wrapped bands around kettlebells and had me press them - which makes your arms really wobbly till you develop those accessory muscles.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was gettin' a little worried !  Quads & lower back are actually really good - hamstrings/glutes are killing me!  So far they're taking care to strengthen my core (reverse hypers & heavy ab work).  I haven't even begun to deadlift or bar squat yet.  Still using equipment that trains for precise form, and a LOT of accessory muscle training - i.e. Today was DE upper body & they wrapped bands around kettlebells and had me press them - which makes your arms really wobbly till you develop those accessory muscles.

Man I would love to train with that crew.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man I would love to train with that crew.

I've been surprised by the VERY supportive attitude towards training there.  There are some BEASTS there, as well as some young athletes, and as mentioned above, an 80 year old stroke pt.  But we all share a common bond.  At one point, we've all drug the sled, climbed into the reverse hyper, or glute ham machine, pressed against bands and chains.  I can honestly say that I'm far from the weakest guy in the place, and at the same time, far from the strongest.  Here's a vid of Chuck V. breaking the world squat record at WSB.  He's usually in the gym in the morning when I train.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3KGgVN_8rI
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey Shark,
Just gettin' around this site a little. This is the GYMJones link I was telling you about. Check it all out. Sounds like the guys your training with.
Rock on.

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=35
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#19]
for some reason gymjones reminds me of kool-aid!

ETA: took a peek - I like their attitude, similar to WSB.  I especially liked the part where they said "we don't sell to the public.  If a member is seen wearing a t-shirt it's because he earned it."  I told my trainer last week to pick me up some resistance bands and shorts, but not a t-shirt.  I said I'd rather earn that
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#20]
that's pretty cool.
I recently went back to training at a small gym. Used to work out at the monster Gold's gyms they have here....huge gyms with tons of equipment and tons of people who aren't really there to train, just to find a piece of ass.
A small gym opened across from my house...basic equipment. Just like the gym I started training at. I have to improvise and use different equipment in order to get a great workout and I FUCKING LOVE IT.....I'm making some of the best gains now, even better then when I was using about every drug known to bodybuilding...

I wish I had the opportunity you are getting. Take advantage and good luck!
and have fun!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#21]
just finished ME lower body.  Our group was intense & competitive today!  Primarily between myself and my big Palestinian buddy - who I took to school today!  Anyway, we started with "exertion lifts from the floor" which equated to using a piece of apparatus Louis devised (he watched us) that straps over our traps/shoulders and hangs down below your waist where you lower your body with a wide stance till you hook the waiting loaded bar on the floor, then explode upwards and thrust your hips forward in a deadlift motion.  This is basically a deadlift trainer, which exposes your weak areas to the trainer (my hips) which I compensated for with legs/glutes & lower back to eke out 355.

ETA: Bloody knees & shins seem to be the standard there - now I know why!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#22]
this thread's more like a blog, but WTH, I'll go a few more posts.  ME upper Thursday.  Did "foam" presses (heavy) and more of the kettlebell's swinging from bands on the Olympic bar bench pressing.  started with 1 KB on each side and worked up to 3 on each side, competing amongst the group for most reps (all sets to failure)

Today was ME lower.  band squats to a box.  Then Deadlift from pins with double bands I hate bands! Reverse hypers (hate those too) and abs with green bands.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#23]
For those (both) of you following this stimulating thread - pick up the new FLEX magazine for an article/pictorial on WSB.  My trainer is Matt Wenning.  Going to watch the boys (Gorillas) in the World Championships in Dayton this weekend.  Chuck Vogepohl from WSB currently holds the world record squat at 1150 lbs, & is going for 1250!

ETA : Excerpt

Westside Rules
The Westside Barbell Club is the most hardcore gym on the planet, and home to the most fearsome powerlifters you'll ever meet. FLEX presents the training secrets they use to forge their prodigious strength.
By Steve Colescott
ETA: Excerpt

BTW: I did a 405 lb cambered bar bench press with green bands @ 209 lbs bodyweight today after only being there 3 weeks!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Do any of those guys, or you for that matter, follow Dr. Mauro DiPasquale's Anabolic Diet?

I've been doing a lot of research, and it seems like it's almost too good to be true.  I f'in love red meat!!

It seems to me that he has the creds to back up his statements.

I'm gonna start a new thread!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Do any of those guys, or you for that matter, follow Dr. Mauro DiPasquale's Anabolic Diet?

I've been doing a lot of research, and it seems like it's almost too good to be true.  I f'in love red meat!!

It seems to me that he has the creds to back up his statements.

I'm gonna start a new thread!

I think everyone's on a see-food diet.  They have so much lean mass that they eat pretty much what they want - but protein powder, and Amino's are always in the mix.   I drink a serving of protein before the workout, and a double after.  I've gained 6 lbs in 3 weeks, and my pants size is the same
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I think everyone's on a see-food diet.  They have so much lean mass that they eat pretty much what they want - but protein powder, and Amino's are always in the mix.   I drink a serving of protein before the workout, and a double after.  I've gained 6 lbs in 3 weeks, and my pants size is the same

Haha...that sounds about like the Anabolic Diet.  Good on 'ya!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Im curious about the sled dragging. I read an article from Dave Tate where he said no one at WSB ran with the sled. What is the reasoning for this? From what I understand, the sled is used for conditioning, recovery and warm up. Is it ever the main focus of the workout? Thanks for posting this by the way.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Im curious about the sled dragging. I read an article from Dave Tate where he said no one at WSB ran with the sled. What is the reasoning for this? From what I understand, the sled is used for conditioning, recovery and warm up. Is it ever the main focus of the workout? Thanks for posting this by the way.

Glad you asked that, as it was saubject of a debate yesterday as we were dragging the sled around the asphalt (to the hydrant and back 4 times ).

We are always instructed to walk with the sled:

On leg days - Long, intentional strides - warming up groin, glutes & hams.

On upper body days - various upper body pulls; rowing, lateral raises, etc.

2 days ago, while we were being pounded on legs, we look out the open garage door to see a guy SPRINTING full out with the sled behind him.  We all looked at our trainer (Matt Wenning) like WTH?  He's an MMA fighter and is training for explosiveness, and endurance.  We are simply warming up major and accesory muscles prior to heavy weights.

Yesterday, we all looked at each other, with sleds belted to our waists, and without saying anything - took off running for the fire hydrant just to see how it felt.  It burnt our glutes up BIG TIME.  Matt didn't catch us, and it's a good thing.  Everything is done deliberately and no effort is wasted.  He doesn't like it when we deviate from the plan.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Shark,
You ARE quite the deviate.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Shark,
You ARE quite the deviate.

It's "deviant" Dan-0, and Thank You
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 3:54:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey Shark, look up "diviate"(pronounced "dee-vee-it"), N. a deviant; especially one whos sexual behaviour is deviant. Websters new World Dictionay. Reference your pic with the pooch twixt your knees. Thanks for the attempted correction, though. Not that I really think your are a deviate.........well maybe.......I dunno.......I'll have to think about it.

Link Posted: 8/19/2007 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#32]
de·vi·ate (dv-t)
v. de·vi·at·ed, de·vi·at·ing, de·vi·ates
v.intr.
1. To turn aside from a course or way.
2. To depart, as from a norm, purpose, or subject; stray. See Synonyms at swerve.
v.tr.
To cause to turn aside or differ.
n. (-t)
A deviant.

I stand corrected - shoulda known, yer smarter'n me !
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got back from the World Powerlifting Championships in Dayton.  Matt Wenning (my trainer) put up a 1050 squat and 735 bench & was in frist place when I left with only Deadlift left to go.  He and Chuck Vogepohl are neck & neck, with Matt being the bigger bencher, but Chuck the bigger dead lifter.  I let you know who won tomorrow night (if anyone's listening)
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#34]
How long befor you start competing?

You aren't really the benchwarmer type.

Or are you looking for something else?
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Not really. I looked it up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
How long befor you start competing?

You aren't really the benchwarmer type.

Or are you looking for something else?

I quickly realized that 40 is way to late to play catch up in this sport - looking to overhaul & balance my physique to make me more resistant to injury and increase my potential time on the street.  If I had to ride a desk I think I'd quit the FD I WOULD like to have a 500lb bench by next year though!
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#37]
500lbs?!

I just want to be able to defend, protect, and break shit, or cut it and gut it, not necessarily in that order, using the highly secret and guarded moves that I have been training in and teaching to the select  for the last 33 years so far, or a gun.

If I can stay in good shape and  maintain this SLAMMIN' body , I'll be happy.

Link Posted: 8/19/2007 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I put up a 405 lb press (with band assistance) more like 370 last week, but apparently I have "good potential" for a bigger press, as I am blessed with "explosiveness you can't teach" (I can only hope)

ETA: for those who want a good look into WSB training & principles pick up the new FLEX magazine (Septmeber 07 issue) - you'll see the sled, reverse hyper, and training splits.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#39]
If anyones payin' attention TAG it and I'll update it - otherwise the GW Shark WSB Blog will be discontinued due to lack of interest
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I keep checking up on this thread. I live an hour to an hour and a half from Columbus. Do they ever put on classes or seminars there that are open to the general public? I didnt see anything on their website.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#41]
If your going to be in town, and want in my group for a training session, I can set you up.  Matt will charge you 25.00 for a session though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I've got Dave Tate's seminar on vhs from like 4 years ago.  I followed the WSB principals for almost a year and had the best gains ever with it.

I the past year I've moved and don't have a workout partner at my gym now which sucks because you really can't push yourself without a good partner.  

My new gym doesn't even have a reverse hyper machine
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I've got Dave Tate's seminar on vhs from like 4 years ago.  I followed the WSB principals for almost a year and had the best gains ever with it.

I the past year I've moved and don't have a workout partner at my gym now which sucks because you really can't push yourself without a good partner.  

My new gym doesn't even have a reverse hyper machine

WSB principles are based on multiple training partners for spotting purposes - if your form is poor, they take the weight away from you to prevent injury.  I had worked out for years without training partners, and it sucked.  Being in a group makes everyone competitive and work harder but safer.  I hope you can get back into it brother - good luck!

P.S. pick up the new FLEX for Westside's training split.
Link Posted: 8/24/2007 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey GR8TWYT,

TAG!

This stuff is great.

Link Posted: 8/25/2007 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Hey GR8TWYT,

TAG!

This stuff is great.

Thanks, seems like the club of interested members is pretty exclusive though!
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Hey GR8TWYT,

TAG!

This stuff is great.

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Ok, thought this thread was played out - glad you're still with me.  In the future I'll try to post pics of my actual group working out so I can show you the dynamics of group training, as well as the use of chains and bands.  AGAIN - the Westside principles are laid out for you in this month's issue of FLEX magazine.

Our last ME upper day, we did "Suspended chainFootball bar bench".  This was log chains looped from the top of each side of a squat rack, with a bench in the middle.  The Football bench press bar was passed through the chains, so it was hanging from the chains, and approx 6-7" above your chest.  I thought this would be easy as it looked like a half lift.  I was sorely mistaken.  The lift began precisely AT your sticking point.  It denied you the eccentric movement of bring the bar down to your chest and exploding upwards.  Instead, you STARTED the lift in the middle of your sticking point and had to fight through it.  IT WAS A BITCH!!!  I placed 2nd in the group of 5 with 365. (I don't post my stats to boast - they are tracked on a dry erase board in the WSB office to make us competitive in our group, and we are VERY competitive)

Next up: the saga of Shark, wearing a 75lb weight vest, and 25lb ankle weights on each leg, staggering around the perimeter of the warehouse district WSB is tucked away in, and encountering an angry pit bull on a very long chain
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Next up: the saga of Shark, wearing a 75lb weight vest, and 25lb ankle weights on each leg, staggering around the perimeter of the warehouse district WSB is tucked away in, and encountering an angry pit bull on a very long chain

That sounds entertaining. Any video?

I will have to pick up that issue of FLEX.

The 6-7" sticking point sounds exactly what I need to work on. I will see if I can rig up something similar.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Depending on your arm length if your sticking point is any more than 8-10" off your chest it's probably your triceps that are the weak link in the chain.  

I'm a 100% beliver in the WSB principals.  Without the benefit of a partner much less a group of dedicated lifters I'm stuck with relying on their principals for lifts like the deadlft where I don't need a spotter.  For stuff like bench press and squat I'm stuck only going to about 90% ME because I don't want to risk having to dump the weights

You are very fortunate to have been to the Mecca of the powerlifting world!
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#50]
DE Upper today - spent a lot of time in the parking lot with the sleds too.  Did football bar presses with 2 - 12 kg kettlebells hanging on bands from each end of the bar.  This was problematic for us, because as soon as you moved the bar off the rack the kettlebells started swinging and bouncing on the bands, trying to make you unstable (and doing a good job of it too)  

Also, for you fight fans, we have a couple MMA fighters (up and coming - no household names yet) and one of the guys there this A.M. told me he was leaving to train with Randy Couture this Weds.  

For those of you who follow the WSB Elite Pro's, Phil Harrington sat in on our workout and encouraged us (and gave us his sympathy on the football bar/kettlebell press,) as that's what they did this A.M. too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top