Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2007 9:51:28 AM EDT
Looking to see what some of you all are doing for overall strength. Dead lifts, squats...etc...List them out.

Link Posted: 6/7/2007 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Dead lefts/squats (not really "core" exercises, but sine good form involves keeping your core tight for these exercises they count... besides, deads and squats are the manliest of exercises), roman chair, sits/crunches, leg lifts, ball crunches (various)
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Dead lefts/squats (not really "core" exercises, but sine good form involves keeping your core tight for these exercises they count... besides, deads and squats are the manliest of exercises), roman chair, sits/crunches, leg lifts, ball crunches (various)

I guess overall strength and mass builders.
Link Posted: 6/7/2007 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Deads
Squats
Straight deads
Rows
Roman Chair
Med ball work
Yoga
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#4]
For overall mass and strength, I'm a big fan of doing lots of back exercises.  To the above regimen I'd add lots of low rows, pullups, hangs, shrugs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 4:45:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Weighted Lunges, weighted squats, AB superset (15 each:upper, lower,obligues, hip flexers, hipflexors+ lower abs, double crunches x3) full weighted tricep dips, weighted shoulder press superset (7 ea: rear, top, front, top, top front)weighted bicep curls, pushups.
Simple workout you can do at home and I'm pretty strong and my core is solid (old back injury means I HAVE to keep my core/arms strong so I don't rely on my back muscles)

Link Posted: 6/8/2007 5:33:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
For overall mass and strength, I'm a big fan of doing lots of back exercises.  To the above regimen I'd add lots of low rows, pullups, hangs, shrugs.

I used to hate back and shoulder exercises. Now I am eatin' them up. The pull up's are fun yet tough. When I was in the Marines I was banging out 15 dead hangs and kipping out a few more after that...I weigh more now, I am banging out 12 good ones, and getting bigger/ stronger.

I saw on the Gym Jones website where the guys were doing pull ups with their chest going above the bar. The bar at the gym I workout is not condusive to trying that as room is needed. Thinking of taking a look in the garage....

Link Posted: 6/8/2007 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#7]
heh just do normal pullups with a 25lb-er strapped around your waist =)
I worry that getting your shoulders over the bar might be bad for them, but maybe I'm just being a sissy-mary.
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've been kicking my own ass lately doing overhead squats.  I started out with a broomstick (don't laugh) and am now using just an Olympic bar.  Everything hurts after a set of those.  

Quoted:
I saw on the Gym Jones website where the guys were doing pull ups with their chest going above the bar. The bar at the gym I workout is not condusive to trying that as room is needed. Thinking of taking a look in the garage....

Muscle ups.  If you can do those on a bar or the "bicycle" style pullup station you're pretty hardcore.  Do them on rings and you're a machine.  I do something similar oon a low (chest-height) pullup bar on the playground near my house.  Even jumping it's hard.  Do a dip once you're up there.  

I'm not sure if they have a name, but a buddy showed me some dumbell rows that are good for the core.  Get a dumbell in each hand, and assume the pushup position with feet shoulder width apart.  Bring a dumbell up behind your armpit while not falling over.  Alternate sides.  Good stuff.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Dumbbell bench
Squats
Deadlift (put up 5x315 today, good for me)
Military press

Not realy a "core" excersise but my favorite lift out of any is Leg Extensions.  Last leg day I put on 257 lbs and did 9 sets of 9.  3 with feet neutral, 3 with feet pointing out, 3 with feet pointing in.  My strongest lift and my legs are getting huge from doing those.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Sit ups on the ball followed by bench press with dumdbells on the ball.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Deads, bench and military presses and squats
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:01:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Squats, deads, bench, and sprints.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Squats, deads, bench press, pull ups.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#14]
kettlebells.  I just started a month ago but I'm sold.  I've been lifting on and off since I was 15 (I'm 36 now).  I wish I had started doing these years ago.
Eric
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Dead Lifts

Squats

Bench

Pull Ups

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top