Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 3:16:30 AM EDT
I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of Jim Williams the Power lifting legend.

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I sure have!

He was one of the first people to bench press over 600 lbs. (I think Pat Casey may have been first) in competition.  Considering it was the 1970s, that was a superhuman achievment.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I sure have!

He was one of the first people to bench press over 600 lbs. (I think Pat Casey may have been first) in competition.  Considering it was the 1970s, that was a superhuman achievment.

Actually he was the first to bench 700LBS. He set a record at 676 also. Pat Casey and he were lifting buddies.

Anyway he is my estranged father.

Bomber
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Anyway he is my estranged father.

I can't tell if you think that's a good thing or a bad thing.  

Thanks for the correction.  Did you also become a lifter?

I started competing when bench press shirts were fairly new and not really helpful beyond adding a little insurance against injury.  When you father was competing, they were "raw," but some meets allowed them to wrap their elbows, which I helped at least as much as the early shirts if not more.  I know some guys even put tennis balls in the crooks of their elbows under the wraps, but I don't know if that was ever allowed in any legitimate competition.

The form was different then too, both in the 70s and in the late 80 and early 90s when I was doing it.  Keeping everything still and feet flat on the ground kept most of the bigger guys from arching like the little guys.  Now that some organizations are significatly less strict about foot placement and head movement, even the big guys can arch significantly and get their lats and especially rear delts into the lift.  I think that, plus the considerable assistance from the the current shirts are why the numbers are so huge now.

I like seeing the big numbers, but if they're going to allow was is essentially a decline press, they ought to call it that.  I'd like to see a return to the stricter rules, and I'd like to see either non-supportive shirts or at the most single- ply shirts like we used to wear.  That's just my opinion, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top