Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 10:28:20 PM EDT
Donated blood the other day.  They took my BP.  146/88.   Thats pretty high to me!   I'm 21 yrs old 6ft about 195lbs.  I'm not really extremely fat or anything.  although i do have a lil spare tire.  

Anyway, I am kinda worried about it I guess.  I'm not sure if I was just stressed out that day, or if I really do have an issue.  Either way I would like to start running again.  (going today after work)Havent done that in a while.  My main question is about foods.  I am going to lay off sodas, and sugars and greasy burgers and such.  I intend to replace them with fruits, whole grains, fish and chiken.   What else can I do to start lowing my BP?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:20:43 AM EDT
[#1]
dump for dayshift
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Biggest thing I can think of is to do what you are already doing.  When you run, start running longer distances as you get in shape.  You need to stress your cardio system the most.

Try adding a tiny asprin to your diet once a day.  Take a good multi vitamin and add some flax oil to your diet.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:41:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]
If either your mom or dad has high blood press you may be in trouble.  I was diagnosed about your age and Ed’s right.  You need to start checking yourself about once or twice a day for the next couple weeks.  Once you have confirmed it’s high you need to get on the meds.  Find a good doctor that will give you meds that work with your body.  I was on some crap once that controlled the BP but when I was shooting and went from prone to standing quickly the BP would bottom out and I would just collapse.  Not a good thing to do with a loaded rifle.    
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If either your mom or dad has high blood press you may be in trouble.  I was diagnosed about your age and Ed’s right.  You need to start checking yourself about once or twice a day for the next couple weeks.  Once you have confirmed it’s high you need to get on the meds.  Find a good doctor that will give you meds that work with your body.  I was on some crap once that controlled the BP but when I was shooting and went from prone to standing quickly the BP would bottom out and I would just collapse.  Not a good thing to do with a loaded rifle.    

I dont think its that serious.  Although my mom does take some meds for it.  I think the advise posted above will help me out the most for now. I will be checking it out periodically though.

Thanks for the advise guys looks like i am headed in the right direction.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:11:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to run a LOT.  While doing so, my BP was perfect.  Then I stopped running so much and my BP went up a fair amount.  I started running again and watched my BP drop.  I found a big corelation between cardio exercise and lower BP for me.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

___

Genetic predisposition can play greatly...check with your parents.

I'm 45, and run 5 miles @ 3 times a week.  Cholesterol and other blood results are normal, though my blood pressure has suddenly spiked (150/90) during the last six-months, with no other stressors upon my life.

Medication has helped, though as previously noted, there are some side-effects as to dizziness and tiredness.  If your doctor indicates medication is needed, ask also if you may maintain your physical regimine.  Cardio-vascular would probably be best.

Best,

Ed
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top