Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 11:00:48 AM EDT
Can anyone reccomend a good book or dvd on stretching? I have "Stretching Scientifically" from the early 90s and it seems a bit out dated. I just need a good general stretching routine that wont mess up my joints or ligaments. I've read alot of warnings against many stretches I see people doing. I don't do martial arts or gymnastics or anything.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I get hung out to dry oftentimes when I post in GD, so I'll throw you a bone:

google

Seriously, stretching is not that complex. Only advice I can offer besides is when doing the quadricep stretch, use the opposite hand to hold on to your foot; this keeps you knee in alignment.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
why stretch at all??
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, and stretching after is more important than stretching before. Just be well warmed up before beginning an activity, but do take the time to stretch carefully afterward. Always stretch to the point of discomfort, not pain.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]
It is simple:

- warm up
- stretch the muscle(s) in question for 30 seconds (or more)
- rest the muscle
- repeat the stretch

The Physical Therapist I had when I screwed up my knee was very firm on stretching for at least 30 seconds and it does appear to help.

As my TKD instructor says, "Stretching is not painful, it is rewarding!"  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
"Stretching" by Bob Anderson has been around a long time, but is still considered the benchmark by many.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The most important part of your routine should be stretching. Before your workout/lifting and after and during sometimes. It TOO elongates your muscles therefore making your muscles bigger.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you talking about rubbing one out?

That's what we call it around these parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top