Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 9:56:53 AM EDT
Like a lot of people I probably don't spend enough time with weights below the waist.

What are some of the best exercises to get your legs (waist to ankle) as toned and lean as reasonably possible? Bulk isn't the goal, toned muscle is.

I'm sure running and biking are great....but I'm looking for things I can do at home with weights, or at the gym specifically.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Lunges, calve extentions and straight backed dead lifts.

: )

Low weights and high quick reps.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
loose weight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:41:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
loose weight.

Ahhhh...the internet. A souce for invaluable information unearthed from the most respected places on the planet....and....apparently also, from every dope with an ISP and a keyboard.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Lunges, calve extentions and straight backed dead lifts.

: )

Low weights and high quick reps.

I'll add them to the list. Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
First off, real men don't tone.  

Now that we have that out of the way.  Any exercise that uses the legs will help.  Don't forget things like pushing a  wheel barrow, sled dragging, and jumping rope.  Any GPP exercise that works the lower body will work fine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
First off, real men don't tone.  

Now that we have that out of the way.  Any exercise that uses the legs will help.  Don't forget things like pushing a  wheel barrow, sled dragging, and jumping rope.  Any GPP exercise that works the lower body will work fine.

Thanks for the tips. When I said "tone" I mean I'm looking for definition in muscle that's already there....not so much adding more muscle. If there's another, more manly term, enlighten me.

I'm not overweight at all...I'm in good physical condition....just looking for the best way to lean, defined legs.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#7]
everyday walking...park at the farthest parking space and sprint to the store entrance.  
walk to the corner store instead of driving.
Bend the knees to pick up something off the floor instead of bending at the waist.  
When standing at the sink, stove or work bench, raise up from time to time on your toes and lean back and forth bending  the ankles.
If you are waiting for a machine, computer or something to do the job, elevate one leg or the other and place it on the file cabinet to stretch the ham strings...eventually being able to raise it above your shoulders in a restful position.
Practice balancing on one foot while wailting in lines.  Martial arts kicks so you are on one foot for a longer period of time helps  muscle tone and balance stamina

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Squats, the single best lower body exercise. A "toned" look has more to do with diet. Burn more caleries than you intake will lower body fat and have a more toned look.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Squats, the single best lower body exercise. A "toned" look has more to do with diet. Burn more caleries than you intake will lower body fat and have a more toned look.

Diet seems to have a LOT of impact on how cut I get from the waist up, as for the legs, not as much.

Is there such a thing as high rep/low weight squats for definition? Don't think I've ever seen anyone doing those.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Ride a bike hard, ie lots of uphill/resistance.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#11]
There is adding muscle and  there is removing fat. There is no such thing as "toning".  If you want skinny, emaciated female model looking legs with no fat then remove bodyfat with diet and cardio and dont lift weights on your legs.  Persoanlly you sound like a woman and I will gove you the same advice I give to women who want to "tone and not get too muscular and big".  Lift heavy for mass and strength untill you are so muscular and huge that that even one ounce more of muscle will be too much for your personal taste.  Talk to me in a year or so when you get there and we will discuss your new exercise routine to retain that muscle and not grow any more.

You cannot spot reduce fat on your legs.  All you can do is build muscle.  I do 4 exercises for building muscles in my legs.  Squats, leg extensions, Lying leg curls, standing calf raises.  It is all you or anyone for that mater, needs.  I do not reccomend lunges, seated calf raises, stiff legged dead lifts, or any other exercises for legs.  They are either less effective or less effective AND more prone to produce injury that the four listed above.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#12]
IF you want good tone legs squats are very important.

It is a core Exercise. You should put it in you program
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Diet seems to have a LOT of impact on how cut I get from the waist up, as for the legs, not as much.

Is there such a thing as high rep/low weight squats for definition? Don't think I've ever seen anyone doing those.

No, there is no way to do higher reps for definition.  There is no such thing as spot reducing fat.  You can only lift to gain muscle and diet to loose fat.  If you retain fat in your legs it may be due to a higher estrogen level and aside from larger muscles and lower body fat the only way to deal with that is drugs and if you are not a competative bodybuilder I see no reason for you to even consider that so I wont address it.

What is your height and what does your current calf and thigh tape measure at?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No, there is no way to do higher reps for definition.  There is no such thing as spot reducing fat.  You can only lift to gain muscle and diet to loose fat.  If you retain fat in your legs it may be due to a higher estrogen level and aside from larger muscles and lower body fat the only way to deal with that is drugs and if you are not a competative bodybuilder I see no reason for you to even consider that so I wont address it.

Very true. And I don't agree with drug use in the gym. But I seen a doctor Prescribed hormone therapy work on a extremly over weight kid. After one year I asked the DR why so long did you keep him on that. And he said, " a small amount of it will never hurt you, but you never heard that from me."

But that is one dr's advise
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#15]
If you lift weights with legs for strength (ie muscle mass) it will help in your running.  I have noticed increased speed, less flat footing, and stronger finishes in my running when I strengthen my legs.

Excersises that will help:  leg curls, calf raises, leg extentions.  I have not seen the squat as aiding in my running, but I still do em.

Then there is the theory of training fast twitch muscles and slow twitch...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#16]
i think the manly term is ripped instead of toned and circuit training with all of the excersises mentioned in the posts above will definatley get it done and a little cardio will help to.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#17]
HAs anyone ever tried the Body PUMP classes?

Did one class,  1 class, and it kicked my ass.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No, there is no way to do higher reps for definition.  There is no such thing as spot reducing fat.  You can only lift to gain muscle and diet to loose fat.

Thats not definative for most males.

The male body tends to accumulate more fat in certain area or the abdomen and obliques(Spelling?)(Opposed to the females whom will retain them in the hip and thighs more)

A muscular and toned lower body can be achieved by most males by exercising those muscle groups without having to drop below 8-9% of body fat. Now the abs and loove handles is another story.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
loose weight.

Ahhhh...the internet. A souce for invaluable information unearthed from the most respected places on the planet....and....apparently also, from every dope with an ISP and a keyboard.

If you don't want to put on muscle, and you want to uncover the cuts that you feel are just lurking under the fat on your legs. I see only one way to increase the separation inorder to give the illusion that you are working hard in the gym like the guys with big legs. That would be to lose weight.

As others have stated, you can not spot reduce. You don't want to add muscle mass, so you must lose fat for the change to take place.

You can do that in the comfort of your own home too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
loose weight.

If you don't want to put on muscle, and you want to uncover the cuts that you feel are just lurking under the fat on your legs. I see only one way to increase the separation inorder to give the illusion that you are working hard in the gym like the guys with big legs. That would be to lose weight.

As others have stated, you can not spot reduce. You don't want to add muscle mass, so you must lose fat for the change to take place.

You can do that in the comfort of your own home too.

Fair enough....makes sense.

I really don't need to lose weight. I suppose the only other option is to work my lower half harder to achieve "ripped" legs. Quite possibly my workout routine needs an adjustment....with the bulk of my attention to my legs, at least for a while.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#21]
You sound like a buddy of mine,@ 64yrs old, HUGE upper body from lifting for 40sumtin yrs and chicken legs.He NEVER did leg work.He liked the "toned' 32/34" waist and glutes.I on the other hand _Always_loved deep knee squats. He never wears shorts. If there was only 1 exercise I could do it would be squats. What do you want 'ripped' calves? Ripped quads? it all starts w/squats and lunges. ......toned legs muscle? ......do  spinning classes
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:05:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, there is no way to do higher reps for definition.  There is no such thing as spot reducing fat.  You can only lift to gain muscle and diet to loose fat.

Thats not definative for most males.

The male body tends to accumulate more fat in certain area or the abdomen and obliques(Spelling?)(Opposed to the females whom will retain them in the hip and thighs more)

A muscular and toned lower body can be achieved by most males by exercising those muscle groups without having to drop below 8-9% of body fat. Now the abs and loove handles is another story.

I dont know what is not definative that you are discussing.  Can you explain?  I just said the guy needs more muscle in this legs and less bodyfat.  Didnt you just say the same thing?  Get to 8% body fat?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm saying spot reducing might be possible in the areas like Legs, thighs and arms in a adult male.

Dont believe me, just go look at some of the road bicyclists.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#24]
It is a proven fact it is impossible to spot reduce fat.  Cyclists have very low body fat and large upper leg muscles that is why they have definition.  Body fat must come off the entire body evenly (according to your gentics).  You can grow muscles in a particular area and spread that fat out, making the subcutaneous fat thinner but you did not reduce the fat in the area... only stretched it out over a larger area and it will return to the same thickness/level if those muscles atrophy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#25]
DAMN,    DevL either you did your homework or you got a bodybuilding 101 book next to you.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#27]
When I went to college I spent more time researching human performance, diet, exercise and what not than I did studying my school work.  I wanted to go to med school but realised I hated science classes.  I worked at a GNC for 2 years during this time and read every book they had and ordered every book I could get my hands on that the owner would allow me to sell.  I have probably ready over a hundred books and over a thousand medical studies, talked to and trained with both competative amature and professional body builders and fitness competitors as well as amature and pro boxers and MMA fighters.  fitness/self defense is my main other hobby besides gun stuff.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#28]
M4 I don't do ALOT of lower body, but lunges, squats and sissy squats will give you the best run for you muscle, IMHO.
And yes, unfortunately, without the cardio, the difinition will never be what you want it to be.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
M4 I don't do ALOT of lower body, but lunges, squats and sissy squats will give you the best run for you muscle, IMHO.
And yes, unfortunately, without the cardio, the difinition will never be what you want it to be.

Good luck.

I get pretty good results in the gym already. I'm certainly not shooting for the body of an adonis, but lean, defined muscle is the goal.

I guess I simply haven't either been doing enough of the right thing, or the right thing in terms of my legs. I'm going to put a lot more emphasis on my lower half and really apply myself to the plan for a good couple of months and see what it gets me.

Got lots of good ideas, and a lot of common ground as far as ARFCOM opinions on how to work your legs. I'll put it in to effect.

Thanks everyone for the tips.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know what this "toning" crap is all about and I suspect you can go get that Suzanne Somers thighmaster thingamajiggy if that's what your after but if you want to do a real exercise and develop lower strength do squats and deadlifts.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

I get pretty good results in the gym already. I'm certainly not shooting for the body of an adonis, but lean, defined muscle is the goal.

I guess I simply haven't either been doing enough of the right thing, or the right thing in terms of my legs. I'm going to put a lot more emphasis on my lower half and really apply myself to the plan for a good couple of months and see what it gets me.

Got lots of good ideas, and a lot of common ground as far as ARFCOM opinions on how to work your legs. I'll put it in to effect.

Every BODY  (not everybody) is different regarding results. My lower body tends to bulk up (girls+bulk=BAD!!!) so I don't do very much leg work. Shouldn't be too hard for you: men tend to not carry alot of fat from the Iliac Crests down, so lean muscle should not be hard to uncover.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

Please tape measure your thighs and calves and give us this info as well as your height.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I don't know what this "toning" crap is all about and I suspect you can go get that Suzanne Somers thighmaster thingamajiggy if that's what your after but if you want to do a real exercise and develop lower strength do squats and deadlifts.

Hey, I have a place for you and your thighmaster. It starts out on the end of my fuckin boot.

For all the rest of the non-douche bag comments and tips, thanks, much appreciated. Starting the new plan this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, I have a place for you and your thighmaster. It starts out on the end of my fuckin boot.

For all the rest of the non-douche bag comments and tips, thanks, much appreciated. Starting the new plan this weekend.

Good luck with your "toneing" Nancy!  Do you shave your legs too?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Jaybus...Only on ARF could a training thread turn into a p*ssing match!
Play nice boys or I'm gonna draw down!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#36]
It's like anythingelse on this site, most rheads are all conceptural internet warrior arguements, rather than going out and try it for your self.

Everyone's body reacts different to different things, there is only one way to findout if it works for you!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Figured you wouldn't let that comment of mine just lay there. Nice steppin' up to the man-plate and trying to take a swing like the big boys do.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Figured you wouldn't let that comment of mine just lay there. Nice steppin' up to the man-plate and trying to take a swing like the big boys do.

Relax dude, I'm just giving ya shit.

But seriously, squats and deadlifts!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top