Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 8:33:40 PM EDT
I have been working out 6 days a week, my schedule is as follows...
monday wednesday friday:
Lift weights, working the majority of my upper body muscles(aprox 1.5-2 hours), then run 3-6 miles after lifting.

tuesday thursday saturday:
swim 4000-5000M

I am 2 weeks into this routine(im in college) and i plan on bumping up the ammount i swim considerably, as well as the distance i run probably tomorow or some time next week.
is there annything wrong with a workout like this?
when it gets warm out i will substitute in some bikeing, as i am prepareing for a triathalon(hopefuly)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Not if you dont want to get bigger.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
iT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD WAY to get shredded !! ,   i have done similar workouts - Your body will make drastic changes at first , and then level off , you will have to step-up your workouts eventually - and this is not easy !- at a certain piont to just maintain,  truthfully , this much workingout is difficult to sustain over a long period of time - 3-4 years , ya just get burned out !
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you feel like working-out six days a week, then you aren't working hard enough!z
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say the spacing of low-impact aerobic exercise every other day is what makes the workout routine feesable.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
i plan on substituting biking for running when i can tell my body needs a day extra off of running...
that will be mid next month when i buy a road bike though.
is there any difference between using a treadmill and running outside? besides the fact that the treadmill is more friendly to my knees and other joints?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I will frequently run 6 days a week as I ramp mileage for my sprint marathon.  Pay close attention to what your body is telling you.  If you start to feel run down or perpetually tired, you may want to scale back a little.

Running on a mill and running outside...  I find that running on my mill actually causes my legs to hurt worse than if I ran outside.  When I run outside, I can vary my stride length, pace, left-to-right movement, uphills and downhills, etc.  Running on the mill is same, same, same for mile after mile.  Anyway...  miles are miles.  Get them in!

Triathlons are cool.  I usually do two or three during the summer.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
monday wednesday friday:
Lift weights, working the majority of my upper body muscles(aprox 1.5-2 hours), then run 3-6 miles after lifting.

swim 4000-5000M

I am 2 weeks into this routine(im in college) and i plan on bumping up the ammount i swim considerably, as well as the distance i run probably tomorow or some time next week.
when it gets warm out i will substitute in some bikeing, as i am prepareing for a triathalon(hopefuly)

You should change your types of lifts every 1.5 - 2 months or when you fail to notice significant improvements.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
monday wednesday friday:

swim 4000-5000M

You should change your types of lifts every 1.5 - 2 months or when you fail to notice significant improvements.

I disagree.  I have gone up to 5 months straight on an identical routine and made gains every week.  The changing routines is overrated in my opinion.  Progressive resistance in the form of a lifting rep range in the 10 and under range and moving up in weight when you can do 11 or more reps on a first set to failure is key.  As long as the reps move up for even one of your sets and you increase weight when you can doo 11 on your first set you can make indefinate gains till you reach the limits of your bodies testosterone level.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top