Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 9:46:34 PM EDT
I heard that there are some diets for Lowering cholesterol w/out the harmfull side effects of the drugs.
My Dr wants me to start taking the drugs, becuase my total was 272, scary high.

I want to TRY and do something on my own, any advice?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#1]
tag.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I dumped mine off the charts.  From where the doc thought pills were in order to down to the minimum threshold of the scale.

I took garlic pills, niacin (NOT niacinimide) cut down on my meat and cheese (especially shitty meats like low-end ground meat, salami and crap like that), increased dietary fiber (like oatmeal in the mornings).

I was also training a lot and competing in amateur adventure racing and other endurance events so exercise is important too.

Note that cholesterol is formed in the liver so any meat will have it.  No non-meat will.
Don't get me wrong, I still eat plenty of meat.  You might want to consider reducing meat though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#3]
mine was 245 about 7 months ago, I lowered it to 190 just with diet and excercise in those 7 months.

Do a cardio workout for 45 min 2 times a week. Bicycle, step machine whatever.

Stop eating fast food period.

Eat alot more of in bread and pasta categories, the cholesterol will bind with the fiber and you will essentialy poop the cholesterol out.

Dont eat shrimp, or lobster.

Eat chicken, eat steak...but make sure you trim the fat before cooking.

Dont eat thick sauces on foods. Pesto and marinara are the exceptions, these are ok.

Cut out all cheese, no exceptions.

Replace all cooking oil with Olive oil.

edited to add:  eat more vegetables too, ex: have a salad with your spagetti dinner.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
tag.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Eat a lot of high fiber content foods

No saturated fats

No pre-packaged junk food

increase water intake

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]
OK... Garlic Pills, that's creat... so does that mean eating garlic will lower it?
Again, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't ever use a statin drug period!  Most nutritionists know more about reducing cholesterol than any doctor does.  Those statin drugs reduce something called CoQ10 which is essential for your heart to beat properly.  Cholesterol drugs actually hurt your heart!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
OK... Garlic Pills, that's creat... so does that mean eating garlic will lower it?
Again, thanks!

It is amazing stuff.  I do not have the numbers on my cholesterol, but my blood pressure and pulse went way down after eating a clove a day for a couple weeks.

I also had a huge drop in people wanting to talk to me.  Maybe that helped with the blood pressure, I do not know.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Again, thanks!

I imagine the real thing is probably better.  The pills just make it convenient and there are "odorless" garlic pills if the scent bothers you (or others).
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Flax seed oil capsules do wonders for the good cholesterol. My levels went from 33 (borderline bad) to 45 in a couple months after I did moderate exercise and 10-15 caps a day. The caps also helped alot with my Lyme disease induced joint pain.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#12]
If they don't have a VERY STRONG family history of heart/vessel disease, why would anyone want to turn thereselves into a patient?
Oh yeah.....the drug companies, I forgot. We have too many uneccessary options these days. Many solutions to find an answer for.
Read "The Last Well Person", Lots of interesting points and European health study information (NO FDA, and alot of their studies aren't run by the drug companies!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Garlic pills are great becuase its pure extract. Some said a nutritionist know more about lowering cholesterol than any doctor is right on. Eat right (cut the shit out of your diet) and exericise. No ofst food, no deep fried food. If you have a deep fried you should throw it in the trash next garbage day. You now bake french fries.

My outlaws (ex-inlaws) are over weight and have cholesterol problems. but they deep fried several times a week. Deep friers should be banned
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Oatmeal in the morning!

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the replies... here is something else I found.
I will get garlic pills, in addition to curbing my diet... such as recomended in this article.
www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I dropped my cholestrol  30 points by eating 1/2 cup of oatmeal a day with a teaspoon of cinnamon.

This has also worked for my Mother and Father.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top