Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 7:18:35 PM EDT
I'm serious - hear me out before you laugh derisively

I'm not talking about drinking a six-pack and then getting on my bike and riding the roads.  But I have a large exercise bike (a recumbent one) that I bought after my knee surgery several years ago, to help me build strength and get back into shape before starting to run again.  (Of course I never did start to run again, because there was simply too much damage in my knee ).

Anyhoo - I still use that exercise bike every other day at least (especially if the weather is cold or wet, and I don't want to take a road bike outside).  I have it set up where I can watch TV and just unwind after working.

So - is there a downside to having a cold beer while riding the exercise bike and watching TV?  (I mean apart from the obvious calories - but I can't imagine that beer really has more calories than some of those "energy drinks" people drink all the time.)

Would the alcohol somehow "interfere" with getting a good workout?  Does it do anything physiologically that inhibits anything?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Consuming alcohol, I've found, really affects your endurance.  Even a few days after. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Would the alcohol somehow "interfere" with getting a good workout?  Does it do anything physiologically that inhibits anything?

Not any more than it interferes with a good day at the range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
So you want to drink a sedative while doing cardio exercise......
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot of the adult hockey leagues I've played in, it's totally common.  Drink a few brews before you skate, and drink some after..    We don't usually drink WHILE we play, but its been done  

I play goalie most of the time, and it definitely helps.  If you have about 3-4 beers before you go on the ice, it loosens you up perfectly, and doesn't affect reaction/reflex time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So you want to drink a sedative while doing cardio exercise......

I asked a question because I DON'T know.  

If you know the answer, why not explain it to me?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]

I believe alcohol consumption increases the rate of dehydration.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#7]
It's been a while, but I seem to remember reading something about alcohol inhibiting fat burning.  That would have been an early/mid-90s article though.  Alcoholic beverages probably don't provide optimum hydration and absorption.

If you are really exercising (sweat and effort) I would save the beer until after.  If you a more casually spinning (slow walk equivalent) I don't imagine it would hurt much.  Just remember that you will probably get a sharper effect from the alcohol during/immdeiately following exercise than you otherwise would.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:44:20 AM EDT
[#8]
youve always been an over-thinker.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:22:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yep.
Prof, when you exercise your body loses fluids thru sweat (or it SHOULD). You should drink water during and after ecercise.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:29:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1. Hydrate with water while you ride, save the beer for after. Mind the calories though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. Hydrate with water while you ride, save the beer for after. Mind the calories though.

That occured to me as well - but does the "dehydration" from alcohol really manifest itself through SWEAT - or is that purely through urine?  I mean, I find myself peeing more if I drink a lot of beer, but I don't start sweating?  

H46Driver:
It's been a while, but I seem to remember reading something about alcohol inhibiting fat burning. That would have been an early/mid-90s article though. Alcoholic beverages probably don't provide optimum hydration and absorption.

See - that's the kind of thing I am concerned about as well, the physiological effects that might inhibit what I am getting out of the workout.  It's defnitely a high-effort, sweating-my-ass-off kind of exercise I'm doing.

AROKIE:
youve always been an over-thinker.

That's probably true  

Thanks everyone!  I'm not sure I see a REALLY STRONG reason so far not to do it (I definitely drink water too, while I exercise), but it was mostly out of curiosity.  If I were to do it, it would be on a rare occasion anyway.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe alcohol interferes with endorphines. I have noticed that consuming alcohol after strenuous activity brings on muscle aching. It is usually brief and tolerable. I have had a beer while running many times. Initially, it will make you lethargic, which can be overcome with determination. There is also an issue of foaming. This too can be gotten used to. If drinking and exercise is your thing, join the hash house harriers. If you are exercising by yourself and think you need a drink, you should consider whether you maybe need alcohol too much.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#13]
DK,

Note, I didn't emphasize the health aspect in my above post!  It's just fun to drink and play though!  I agree with the other posts in that it probably isn't the best health choice to make, however, you cant argue with fun!  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I believe alcohol interferes with endorphines. I have noticed that consuming alcohol after strenuous activity brings on muscle aching. It is usually brief and tolerable. I have had a beer while running many times. Initially, it will make you lethargic, which can be overcome with determination. There is also an issue of foaming.

Thanks for the info - and that whole lethargy helps explain what the other posted above meant by "sedative"

It's not that I have some big urge to drink, but sometimes I'm so damn busy, that when I finially finish work, I really feel like unwinding in front of the TV with a cold beer, but I also feel like I should get some physical exercise (especially when the weather is not good for road biking, or it's too dark outside).

So I simply started wondering if the two could be combined without harming the workout.  (I also remember hearing about a 5K run here in town for St. Patricks day, where people are drinking beer while running )

Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I just thought of another reason you shouldn't:
Ya might spill it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ya might spill it.

Now we're getting to the important reasons!!  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Drinking booze makes you do everything better...

Duh!

I can't believe the lack of experience on this board.

I'm drinking whisky and "running" away from me wife as we speak.

GM
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:57:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I see absolutly no reason not to....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Drinking booze makes you do everything better...

Duh!

I can't believe the lack of experience on this board.

I'm drinking whisky and "running" away from me wife as we speak.

GM

Wrong forum..That's not exercise...that's evasive maneuvering for survival....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:18:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I am not against drinking beer or anything else while engaged in another activity.  I think drinking and shooting go great together.  The only reason I could think of for not drinking while exercising is alcohol raises blood pressure.  
So, if you are going to do a long slow distance type of exercise.  I don't see why driking would affect you.  I wouldn't do wind sprints and drink though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:50:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Give it a try and see how you like it/feel.

Every time I've worked out with beer in me it has been a negative experience.  I could never get a good lift in and felt like shit afterwards.  All of those times involved more than one or two beers though.

I did the run and drink thing ONCE a few years ago in college. It was a few miles and 7-8 beers. In no way did I find it enjoyable.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Give it a try and see how you like it/feel.

Every time I've worked out with beer in me it has been a negative experience.  I could never get a good lift in and felt like shit afterwards.  All of those times involved more than one or two beers though.

I did the run and drink thing ONCE a few years ago in college. It was a few miles and 7-8 beers. In no way did I find it enjoyable.  

I do remember PT in the army on Friday mornings after a hard night of drinking Thursday night - and that was REALLY unpleasant!!  

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't do it.  But I'm kind of a nazi about lifting and eating right.  

So try it and see.  It might work just fine for you in which case have at it!  Look at it this way: to simultaneously drink a beer and get some exercise still puts you far ahead of the average American who drinks several beers and doesn't get any exercise.

Let us know how it goes  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ya might spill it.

Was the first thing I thought of, but I figured someone probably already said it.

I figured right.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#25]
From what I have read, alcohol facilitates the conversion of test into estrogen. Not an ideal situation, and it could be compounded when drinking while actually working out. If you are trying to strengthen yourself, there is nothing worse than hendering an anabolic environment while you work out. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
From what I have read, alcohol facilitates the conversion of test into estrogen. Not an ideal situation, and it could be compounded when drinking while actually working out. If you are trying to strengthen yourself, there is nothing worse than hendering an anabolic environment while you work out. YMMV.

WHAT????
Do you have a link for that??? I've never heard that testosterone could be converted into anything...let alone estrogen...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Google says:

www.sportsdoctor.com/articles/alcohol.html

Alcohol can accentuate exercise fatigue by increasing lactic acid production. It also dilates blood vessels and diverts circulation to the skin. In cold climates, this can impair thermoregulation and lead to increased risk of hypothermia. In hot climates, it can increase sweating and lead to further dehydration.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT????
Do you have a link for that??? I've never heard that testosterone could be converted into anything...let alone estrogen...

Flex magazine has stated that several times. That is their main reason for recomending to keep away from it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#29]
No, beer is liquid bread.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#30]
A post from wannabebig.com

I thought I would post an article related to the topic:

So you workout regularly and like to consider yourself fairly health conscious when it comes to weightlifting and maintaining muscle mass. But despite all those big muscles, you have a weakness: you have a tendency to have one or two or six drinks every now and then. Probably most students can relate, but before you have that drink, there are a few things you should know about how it will affect the muscle you work so hard to keep. Is the booze really worth it?

As some may have experienced first hand, alcohol can have some serious ill effects on the body and muscles. It doesn't matter whether you drink occasionally or frequently, the intake of alcohol has adverse effects no matter what. Aside from dehydrating your body, flushing out the very water your muscle needs to survive, alcohol also decreases protein synthesis, another integral part of muscle growth and maintenance. Protein synthesis is a process that is necessary for the building of muscle cells. If this is decreased, your muscle building process will obviously slow down; therefore the hour in the gym before your drink may have been a waste of time.

As stated earlier, dehydration is another downside to alcohol. It can lead to muscle catabolism, which occurs when your body uses muscle cells as energy. You drink the booze and get dehydrated. Your muscle cells, which contain the most water out of any other cell in the body, get drained so your body can re-hydrate itself. As a result, muscle cells can no longer be used by your body for anything but energy. Therefore, the next time you get on the treadmill to do some cardiovascular activity, instead of burning those fat stores like you had intended, your water depleted muscle cells get burned as energy instead. This process happens so fast that simply drinking water after the booze goes down, isn't good enough.

Excessive alcohol consumption known as binging can also cause levels of testosterone to decrease and can increase levels of cortisol, which is a hormone that can destroy muscle. So, if you have been wondering why your hard work in the weight room just hasn't been paying off, it could very well be because you have been losing your muscle to alcohol and therefore, not realizing your muscles' full potential.

Anthony Ellis, author and columnist for Muscle Media on 15 Muscle-Building Rules for Skinny Guys, confesses the following in one of his earlier issues. By cutting out his alcohol intake completely and maintaining his routine, he was able to gain and maintain 15 extra pounds of muscle mass that he hadn't been able to do prior to drinking alcohol.

So the question posed to you is: what is more worth to you; the money you pay for protein and a gym pass, the time and energy you put into getting those bulging biceps, or the booze that steals your money and your muscles which leaves you with a headache, a foggy memory, and who knows what the next morning.

Is the booze really worth the loss?

I could not find anywhere specifically stating that alcohol converts test into estrogen, but it has been stated in Flex magazine many times.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok for a good workout, before you go biking, it is best to drink 6 to 10 beers. Then get the beer helmet and strap it on. Go down a busy road or through a plaza, you can even go through the mall for the best workout. Anyway, when the aliens start chasing you make sure you pedal faster. You will know them because they will flash blue and if on foot point their ray guns at you. Whatever you do dont stop until you finish your lap or laps so you get the full workout.

Anyway, I am not an expert on anything technical but I know that a couple of runs that I have had the day after drinking (not hung over mind you) sucked majorly. Have to ask yourself if you want to get drunk or if you want to work out I guess.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ok for a good workout, before you go biking, it is best to drink 6 to 10 beers. Then get the beer helmet and strap it on. Go down a busy road or through a plaza, you can even go through the mall for the best workout. Anyway, when the aliens start chasing you make sure you pedal faster. You will know them because they will flash blue and if on foot point their ray guns at you. Whatever you do dont stop until you finish your lap or laps so you get the full workout.

You brought this thread back to life after two weeks for that?

Although I do like the principle of furiously biking through a crowded mall, roaringly drunk - perhaps around Christmas time.  

Anyway, I am not an expert on anything technical but I know that a couple of runs that I have had the day after drinking (not hung over mind you) sucked majorly. Have to ask yourself if you want to get drunk or if you want to work out I guess.

I absolutely agree with that, and have had the same experience many times for PT friday morning in the army after some hard drinking Thursday night - but the question I was asking here was more about having A beer while exercising, not anything to do with getting drunk or drinking a significant amount.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Try kicking a bag accurately and be on balance with a couple beers in you.  I can't perform to the peak of my ability with a little beer.  Balance and mechanics of martial arts is off with a little alcohol.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#34]
If having a brew or two while on the exercise bike will get you to do the exercise, do it. Just don't get drunk and fall over and screw your knee up again, that would be self defeating.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll drink one beer when I lift weights, only because my bench is right next to the frig in the garage.  I don't see much of a problem with it.

3 years ago I drank 2 beers running a Half Marathon.  Now thats was big problem.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT????

Testosterone can be converted to estrogen quite easily.  An ezyme called aromatase converts it.  Almost all the estrogen in your body is converted from testosterone.  Its how your hypothalimus controls your test levels... by measuring estrogen levels which are an indirect measurement of your testosterone level.  Testosterone is also converted by reductase to DHT which causes baldness, BHP and acne.  This is why shooting up testosterone in high levels can cause growth of breast tissue, baldness, acne, etc.  This is why anabolic steroids were created in the first place.  To get reduced or eliminate conversion of testosterone type substances in order to reduce side effects.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Not sure why you would want to drink alcohol while your doing something that requires balance and coordination, both of which are affected negatively by alcohol.

But whatever floats your boat.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top