Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 4:13:22 PM EDT
I want to get a bicycle, to take rides with the g/f and to up my cardio and workout because i'm going to Marine OCS this summer in PLC. Plan to ride it to school as well and maybe to work if i can land a job close by.

I'm in Orlando and dont know of any Bike shops, so i went to walmart and saw a couple of bikes that looked ok. Im only able to spend $150 too, so that is a factor.

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3663046

Which is just at $150

and

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4029278

and

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4016707

Which type of bike would be the best workout? Or better for long distances, say up to 10-20 miles? Will a mountain bike still be ok to ride on the sidewalk/street and not fatigue me quickly compared to the street bike i am looking at? Or is that not really a factor?

And lastly, what do you guys think of the bikes im looking at? Opinions on which i should get/stay away from?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with the mountain bike.  It will allow you to go on a wider range of terrain and will work you a little harder when riding.....but not much.

The Walmart bikes will work unless you plan to race...and it sounds like you don't. I have a Mongoose bike that I've had for about 4 years.  It's been great.  Haven't needed to replace anything and the tires are original.  Stay away from the Next brand.  Not nearly as well made.  Get the full suspension.  Your crotch will thank you.  Since I got the full suspension, I'll never use anything else.

Good luck in OCS.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for the mountain bike.  Marine OCS is tough.  What are you doing for a workout?  Ensure you include a pack run and hills if possible.

Max
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
+1 for the mountain bike.  Marine OCS is tough.  What are you doing for a workout?  Ensure you include a pack run and hills if possible.

Max

+1 on the run and the hills. Toughen up those feet. Start running in boots if possible. Good luck, bro, you going Juniors/Seniors/Combined?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Max

+1 on the run and the hills. Toughen up those feet. Start running in boots if possible. Good luck, bro, you going Juniors/Seniors/Combined?

I'm a freshmen in college, and im in PLC. So i go to 2 separate 6 week OCS terms. And hopefully i get to go to my first this summer. Im not in bad shape, i go to the gym 5 days a week, but didnt do much cardio. Sometimes i'd run the 2 miles home from the gym, but i was beat to death after a workout and then 2 miles at the end. So i figured a bike would be the best thing for me.

And i just got home with it. Walked to walmart and i wasnt to happy with their selection, lots of little bikes but only a few to choose from for what i was looking for. I ended up with a Schwinn! I'm really happy with it. I chose it because it has an Aluminum frame, front shocks, 21speed, V-brakes, and looked like it was very well-built. I'll post a pic of it as soon as i can. I really like this thing alot, and am very please with it so far(I rode it 3 miles home).

I'm really liking the weight of this bike, not only does it make it easy to control, but i live on the 3rd floor of my apt complex and i can lift this thing over my head with one arm and carry it upstaires no problem.

I really like the front shocks, and even on the ride home, my ass took a beating and i kinda wish i had full suspension, but the only full suspension bikes in my price range were either shit, or heavy steel, and i wanted a light ride.  

OK, enough for now, i'll try to get some pics.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Hm, i should have looked at my original post, the last one i posted is the one i got...kinda.

Thats basically the bike i got, same aluminum frame, and same gear system and wheels/tires, but i have a different seat(mine is sleeker) and i have better handle bars. My handle bars have those things at each end that stick up and allow you to sit more up-right.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Theres a pic of my bike, sorry for the quality, its just a cell phone cam. Gonna go put it through a few tests tommorrow and will report back
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top