Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 10:11:06 AM EDT
I have some pretty large forearms, and I don't have the need to use straps where I see many other larger guys using them. However, I am looking to be able to crush a beer or coke bottle by squeesing with one hand. What has worked for you to gain a crushing grip?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IRONMIND

I use these too.  They seem to help in an overall progam to up my grip strength.  Other things I use are deadlifts, holding weight for time, chins/pullups, and hanging for time.  FWIW any exercise involving pulling will help your grip.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I do a lot of DLs and hold weight for periods of time. I was able to hold 100lb. dumb bells in each hand for about 2 min. which is most likly pretty decent. I think I will try on of those grippers to see how I improve. Like I say, I would idealy like to be able to crush a coke bottle with one hand. Thanks.

ETA: Is there any place that sells these things for cheaper? It looks like they might be unilaterally priced, as I can not find them for cheaper than 19.99+ shipping.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I do a lot of DLs and hold weight for periods of time. I was able to hold 100lb. dumb bells in each hand for about 2 min. which is most likly pretty decent. I think I will try on of those grippers to see how I improve. Like I say, I would idealy like to be able to crush a coke bottle with one hand. Thanks.

ETA: Is there any place that sells these things for cheaper? It looks like they might be unilaterally priced, as I can not find them for cheaper than 19.99+ shipping.

You might find them cheaper on ebay, but that would be rare.  Wait till you see them.  They are worth the money.  

Here is some advice from someone who has them:  Get the Trainer and a no. 1.  You will be able to master the trainer pretty quick.  The no. 1 will take a little time to close.  Then buy the no. 2.  If you have any extra money get Brookfields book on how to close them.  He has some techniques in there that will help out.  Buy yourself some chalk too.  It helps.  They will make your hands sore, and develop a nice set of calluses.  Don't overwork your arms in the beginning.  You can fuck up the tendons in your forearm and it takes a while for them to heal.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have some pretty large forearms, and I don't have the need to use straps where I see many other larger guys using them. However, I am looking to be able to crush a beer or coke bottle by squeesing with one hand. What has worked for you to gain a crushing grip?

Excuse my sarcasm, but why do you want to be able crush a bottle in your hand?  Maybe you meant that figuratively.  But in the event you did actually mean it literally, you stand a good chance of permanently damaging tendons and/or nerves by doing such a dumbass thing.  (yes I said dumbass)  The instant you achieve that "crushing grip", you would lose it due to an avoidable act.  Let us know how that works out for you.  

Blake
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excuse my sarcasm, but why do you want to be able crush a bottle in your hand?  Maybe you meant that figuratively.  But in the event you did actually mean it literally, you stand a good chance of permanently damaging tendons and/or nerves by doing such a dumbass thing.  (yes I said dumbass)  The instant you achieve that "crushing grip", you would lose it due to an avoidable act.  Let us know how that works out for you.  

Blake

I have it on a pretty good source that crushing the coke bottles can be done with no harm to ones hand due to the way they break. However beer bottles will mess you up big time. In regard to a bar bet the source stated thusly, "The look on the other guys face when you pull out the leather glove before crushing the bottle is pirceless."
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blake

I have it on a pretty good source that crushing the coke bottles can be done with no harm to ones hand due to the way they break. However beer bottles will mess you up big time. In regard to a bar bet the source stated thusly, "The look on the other guys face when you pull out the leather glove before crushing the bottle is pirceless."

Go for the unopened coke can.  Prove Brookfield wrong.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Crushing grip can put a real damper on your masturbation. Be careful what you wish for, that's all I'm saying.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blake

Go for the unopened coke can.  Prove Brookfield wrong.

I have been trying those for years.

I have been unable to to accomplish that yet. I dent it pretty well though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Squeeze a Racquette ball until you pop it, then get a new one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#11]
i would suggest you take up bouldering / rock climbing. you'll get really good grip, really quick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top