Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 2:29:49 AM EDT
1. Is Body For Life a good program to be on? Two of my friends (both Ironman completers) recommended it to me since I didnt have much success with a low-carb diet.

2. Can anyone recommend an elliptical trainer, I'd like to spend about $500? I'm still in physical therapy for a bum ankle (and tight hip and knee joints), but the doc's said I can start using either a stationary bike or an elliptical.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#1]
What about finding a good gym instead of purchasing your own machine?  A good gym probably offers yoga classes which would help your problem areas.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1. Is Body For Life a good program to be on? Two of my friends (both Ironman completers) recommended it to me since I didnt have much success with a low-carb diet.

2. Can anyone recommend an elliptical trainer, I'd like to spend about $500? I'm still in physical therapy for a bum ankle (and tight hip and knee joints), but the doc's said I can start using either a stationary bike or an elliptical.

Kharn

I highly recommend the body for life program, make sure you read the book cover to cover, it is inspiring, i must admit. I lost alot of weight on the program and you truly feel a hell of alot healthier by the end of the 12 weeks..
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What about finding a good gym instead of purchasing your own machine?  A good gym probably offers yoga classes which would help your problem areas.

I've got a free gym at work, I'd just rather work out on my own. Once I drop some weight I might feel comfortable at the gym, but not at the moment.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Any recommendations on the elliptical?

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used Precor and Life Fitness.  I am not a big fan of ellipticals and used it only for a workout while recovering from shin splints, but I preferred the Precor.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a bike and an elliptical.

I used to use the bike on days when it was snowing and raining.  There is no comparison to running here.  The only thing the bike is good for is not tearing up your knees.  I really never got much from it other than that.

The elliptical is another matter.  I'll have to go look and see what model I have, but it is some fancy electronic monster with adjustable resistance and a bunch of options I never learned how to use.  I run 1.5 to 2 miles regularly, but if I turn up the resistance on the elliptical to the halfway point, it will wear me out a lot quicker than running.  It also doesn't tear up your knees.

I like mine.  I've heard mixed reviews, though, so I think it depends on the machine.

If you've ever been cross-country skiing, it's a motion similar to that on my machine.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Kharn
Good luck on the BFL, going to try it myself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:11:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought (and actually managed to get the beast out of my truck and assembled alone) a Horizon Fitness E70 elliptical, which worked pretty well when I took it for a test-walk ( ) last night. No ankle pain what-so-ever while still giving a good workout in the legs, I  should've bought this thing 6mo ago. I was also pretty suprised about how quiet it was, no clacking or whirling like with a Nordic Track or fan-style stationary bike.

I've set up my spare computer at eye level a few feet in front of the elliptical, now I can watch TV, TIVO'ed shows, or listen to any MP3 I own while working out.  That really seemed to help with boredom while doing all my therapy exercises last night, since it kept my mind occupied.

I think if I stick to a rule of "no evening TV unless exercising", I should do pretty good about getting down there to use the equipment.

Now I just have to wait for Amazon to get the BFL book to me and I should be on track to meet my goals.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I bought (and actually managed to get the beast out of my truck and assembled alone) a Horizon Fitness E70 elliptical, which worked pretty well when I took it for a test-walk ( ) last night. No ankle pain what-so-ever while still giving a good workout in the legs, I  should've bought this thing 6mo ago. I was also pretty suprised about how quiet it was, no clacking or whirling like with a Nordic Track or fan-style stationary bike.

I've set up my spare computer at eye level a few feet in front of the elliptical, now I can watch TV, TIVO'ed shows, or listen to any MP3 I own while working out.  That really seemed to help with boredom while doing all my therapy exercises last night, since it kept my mind occupied.

I think if I stick to a rule of "no evening TV unless exercising", I should do pretty good about getting down there to use the equipment.

Now I just have to wait for Amazon to get the BFL book to me and I should be on track to meet my goals.

Kharn

I just looked up your machine and I must say it looks very nice!  Please keep us updated as to your thoughts on the machine as you use it over time.  

Also, are you able to disengage the arm bars and do legs only or is it dual action all the time?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:01:26 AM EDT
[#10]
The only downside I've found so far to the machine is that you have to change resistance levels using the up and down buttons on the console, there arent any programs built into it.

The arms are always going back and forth, but they're far enough out to the side that I dont get smacked by them while grabbing the heart-rate monitor handles just below the console. If you really wanted to, you could take an allen wrench to the bars and remove them, but you cant change them on the fly.

$600+tax out the door from Dick's Sporting Goods.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Body for life is fantastic.  Just stick to the diet reccomendations and make sure to use your free day.  By the end of the 12 weeks you won't really even want your free day anymore.  If you go to bodyforlife.com there are recipes for meals that fit the plan.

If you go all the way with BFL and use the Myoplex it can get expensive.  I would suggest sticking with the Myoplex for the first 12 weeks and then switch to something else.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The only downside I've found so far to the machine is that you have to change resistance levels using the up and down buttons on the console, there arent any programs built into it.

The arms are always going back and forth, but they're far enough out to the side that I dont get smacked by them while grabbing the heart-rate monitor handles just below the console. If you really wanted to, you could take an allen wrench to the bars and remove them, but you cant change them on the fly.

$600+tax out the door from Dick's Sporting Goods.

Kharn

Thanks for the quick review!  I tend to prefer manual control of my exercise equipment so that's not a negative in my mind.

Dick's sporting goods was the same vendor I found online.  Once I get a larger place I may have to consider an elliptical trainer for some variety.   For now it's the good old Schwinn Airdyne.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an Octane elliptical machine.  Purchased it over a year ago, still works great.  Apparently it is built by the same people that started Precor.  You will spend more than $500 for one though.

Go to epinions.com for discussions on all types of  exercise and electronic reviews.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top