Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 5:26:21 AM EDT
Does anyone know of a good place to get dextrose from? I have been looking for  a cheap supply on the internet, but the best I have been able to do is $116.20 for 100lbs shipped. It was for animals too, but I did not know that origionally.

Does anyone know where I can pick it up in bulk for cheap?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Try a brewing supply store, although I doubt that it would be very cheap.  You could also try chemical supply companies.  There are also food grade ingredient suppliers who carry it in bulk.  You could probably buy it in 50 lb. bags or truckloads.

What is your use for the dextrose?  The reason that I ask is that it is really just another simple sugar, a lot like cane or beet sugar, sucrose, sold in grocery stores.  I can't remember the chemistry of the sucrose or dextrose, but they are normally measured by a sweetness index with sucrose being the standard, and the sweetest of the two, IIRC.

If you are just looking for a cheap sweetner, stick with sugar.  You really won't find anything cheaper that's nearly as palatable or readily available.  I haven't bought dextrose for a long time, but the price that you are talking sounds very high.   Domestic sucrose runs about $21 in bulk and world sucrose runs about $.14.  Note:

Link to futures.  The near term contract is usually close to the spot market price.

Go to page 6.

The only consumer use for dextrose that I'm aware of is as a cheap sweetner to add when making beer.  The yeast consumer the dextrose & break it down, leaving alcohol.  In other words, it's just a cheap kick.  Add too much, though, & you end up with nasty tasting beer, with  a fruity taste.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the bodybuilding.com website for regular orders of supplements. They have dextrose just not the bulk you are looking for.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Try a brewing supply store, although I doubt that it would be very cheap.  You could also try chemical supply companies.  There are also food grade ingredient suppliers who carry it in bulk.  You could probably buy it in 50 lb. bags or truckloads.

What is your use for the dextrose?  The reason that I ask is that it is really just another simple sugar, a lot like cane or beet sugar, sucrose, sold in grocery stores.  I can't remember the chemistry of the sucrose or dextrose, but they are normally measured by a sweetness index with sucrose being the standard, and the sweetest of the two, IIRC.

If you are just looking for a cheap sweetner, stick with sugar.  You really won't find anything cheaper that's nearly as palatable or readily available.  I haven't bought dextrose for a long time, but the price that you are talking sounds very high.   Domestic sucrose runs about $21 in bulk and world sucrose runs about $.14.  Note:

Link to futures.  The near term contract is usually close to the spot market price.

Go to page 6.

The only consumer use for dextrose that I'm aware of is as a cheap sweetner to add when making beer.  The yeast consumer the dextrose & break it down, leaving alcohol.  In other words, it's just a cheap kick.  Add too much, though, & you end up with nasty tasting beer, with  a fruity taste.

Detxtrose is easier for the body to break down from what I understand. I use it to spike my insulin levels so my body tries to make use of as much of the protein etc. that I ingest durring that time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Believe it or not, you can find dextrose at Amazon.com, in one or two pound bags...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:51:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I will check it out. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top