Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/4/2005 8:53:18 PM EDT
Does anyone, other than me, lie in bed at night and think up cool things to use on airplanes to beat rag-heads with?

I've thought up a cool improvised weapon that I want to pass on.

Three big fat rubber bands and a nice oversized magazine, like Shotgun News, for instance. You could stroll onto a commercial airliner with the bands on your wrist and the magazine tucked under your arm without even the slightest notice.

Roll the magazine up tightly and use the rubber bands to hold it closed. You could absolutely beat the living crap out of someone with it!

A variation on the same theme would be to insert the same implement into a pair of panty hose, that have been doubled for extra strength, and use it as a flail type weapon. I haven't tested it yet but seems feasable.

Any ideas...?

I can almost hear the wheels turning
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The magizine baton is a commom idea, and has been proven usefull in inflicting pain, I just carry 2 BIC pens, their great for hand to hand, and noone will think twice about the pen I am chewing on in the security check line at the air port.  Please list a good reason for having three big rubber bands?  Just grab a maginzine of about 40 pages, open it up to about the middle, and roll it as tight as you can, instant weapon.
Icon
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I gues if you have to beat the crap out of more than one Johnny Jihad, thick rubber bands may help keep the end from unraveling or something...I don't know...they look cool...

Try not to over-analize it. I'm just having a bit of fun. Obviously the rubber bands are icing on the cake.

I didn't realize that the magazine thing was a common weapon solution. Since I train in Escrima a baton-like weapon has it's appeal.

I took a seminar in Ohio with some serious Filipino blade fighters, and they love solid metalic ball point pins for the commercial airliners. He did the demonstration by throwing chop-sticks at a dude...it was very eye opening indeed.

What do you think of my flail idea?...
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a big ass rubber band and a super heavy duty paper-clip.  Straiten it out a bit and ytou have a mean mini bow and arrow.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Riggers belt would do a good number on someone
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
mini bow and arrow....excellent....too bad you can't take cigarette lighters aboard anymore...CAN YOU SAY MINI FLAME THOWER!!! Hell Yeah!

I sure as hell don't want to get clocked with a rigger belt. Damn good idea. I never even thought of it.

This is exactly the kind of dialog I need after midnight.

This could be a very interesting thread.

Keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#6]
my carry on is usualy this nylon backpack. AAFES sells them. It's got two flat metal rods runnign from top to bottom.

Funny thing is, they can be removed via a velcro opening. Voila! 24x1x.25 piece of metal!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Backpack Blade Ninja. SWEET!

I can already imagine those toweled heads 'arolling...
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
You are out thinking yourself.

If you want to beat an ROP'er Terr with a MAG, use a MagLight.  They are perfectly acceptable, I bring one all the time.  3 cell.  Never tried 4 or 5 cell, but it probably would pass.  If they took it from you, you have only lost 20 bucks.

Oh, and don't forget: "In the unlikely event of an attempted hijacking, your seat cushin can be used as a shield to let you get in close enough to get in a few good tonks."

The ole "pen in the eye" is sure to please also.
Sorry, but engaging JonnyJihad in mortal combat armed with a SGN is just silly.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
A big-ass flashlight!?! But I DON"T WANT THEM TO TAKE IT!!! That's the whole point. I wouldn't care about the money. I want to beat some camel jockey ass! (Only if they are jacking the plane of course. I'm a compassionate conservative, after all...)

This is an excercise in "what nonconventional weapon can I successfully get past Miss Lafonda Attitude" in the security line...

The Maglight is just too obvious. It just may end up as the daily prize of our intrepid Homeland Security enforcers...then where are you when all hell breaks loose in your airborne tomb...we gotta get Ninja on these bastards, for God's sake!

And a SGN is a nice long magazine. You get a little extra reach with it rolled up as oppossed to say a Car and Driver or Maxim.

Plus it's filled with images of evil looking guns...that can only aid in your image as a man-not-to-be-reckoned-with. It has a certain psychological value.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#10]
What we need here are pics of good improvised weapon ideas (yes BillofRights you can post a pic of your blood-stained Maglight...)

I'm going to make my panty hose flail tomorrow and post pics. Just you wait...
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
How about some black pepper. Just bring one from one of those picnic sets. Just pop the plastic top from it and you can throw it in their face.

Good distraction move while Thumper gives 'em the old double leg take down. End of story.

But seriously, have you ever seen those giant wooden pencils they sell at the gift shops?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I think we need a pic of the giant pencil...

And why not just a pepper shaker...
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Keys.  Hold one in your palm with the end sticking out between your middle and ring finger.  You should know what to do with it then.  

BTW, hi-jackers won't be wearing rags on their heads.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#14]
But if I beat them with an implement, "I cannot be satisfied..."

For the sheer elegance of it, nothing beats a nice rear choke till they poop their pants and start twitching.

(Damn, all this Freedom crap has really made us violent. Keep up the diligence, bros....)

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#15]

For the sheer elegance of it, nothing beats a nice rear choke till they poop their pants and start twitching.

How about using the implement to defeat the tangos' weapons so that you can move into the choke hold? Hopefully he doesn't pull some kind of a pointed or edged weapon from his pocket and starts to slice and dice your arms and legs(watch that femoral artery) before he goes out. Remember, the terrorist won't be alone and they have all trained for this.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I will try to post a pic of some wind chimes that I am making for people as christmas preasents. That would hurt pretty bad.

Also, a banjo would really mess you up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Also, a banjo would really mess you up.

I'm gonna go Foggy Mountain Break Down on yo' ass boy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I didn't realize that the magazine thing was a common weapon solution.

I read about it in the '80s in Phoenix Force - the GG crushed the BG's larnyx - also used a barbers' comb for a raking/slashing attack to the face.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a fairly heavy keychain on a 12-14 inch heavy lanyard, would make a terrific mace.

A cane would inflict a world of hurt, swinging if there is room, or hooking etc, there was an article in one of the monthly gun mags about this last year.

a broken cd or dvd has a very sharp edge.

roll of quarters

Improvised weapons are limited solely by ones imagination.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you want to beat an ROP'er Terr with a MAG, use a MagLight.  They are perfectly acceptable, I bring one all the time.  3 cell.  Never tried 4 or 5 cell, but it probably would pass.  If they took it from you, you have only lost 20 bucks.

Hmm....my experience has been considerably different.  I almost had my Streamlight M3 taken by TSA.  Same story with a mini mag light.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

How about using the implement to defeat the tangos' weapons so that you can move into the choke hold? Hopefully he doesn't pull some kind of a pointed or edged weapon from his pocket and starts to slice and dice your arms and legs(watch that femoral artery) before he goes out. Remember, the terrorist won't be alone and they have all trained for this.

I think it's less complicated to go for the limb with the weapon, isolate it, then break it. If you go to the ground and are trained, all the better. In every situation where we tried to train with improvised weapons against knives, application failed miserably.

It's prob best to train unarmed against the potential knife/box cutter... that way you are prepared for the most likely situation. The ability to deploy an improvised weapon properly is best done from a reasonably skilled person in unarmed combat. All the tools follow as a natural extension of the body which is trained FIRST.

A lot of people want to get a tool that will hopefully give them the advantage in a confrontation. In most cases, when something happens, that tool fails...it breaks, it falls to the floor, it gets lost, whatever, then your world revolves around that failed tool.

If you have unarmed skill, you don't miss a beat, when you punch him and miss, you go to an elbow strike, then a knee, then you grab legs and go to the floor, then armbar, then pound him, whatever...you have options.....

Sorry to ramble, in short, I just think all improvised tools work WAY better in the hands of someone who has trained with nothing.

ETA: About getting cut up with a rear choke...good point. As for the Tango, in most cases, if you slam a good choke on someone, they have about 3 seconds before they get impaired. You might get cut, but them are the breaks. AND, a rear choke in many cases puts Tango 1 between you and Tango 2,3 etc. It's a good defensive posture to take.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#22]
OK, here is the pic of the chimes. Immagine a 45* cut on the bottom for asthetic reasons/ self-defense reasons.

ETA: the one on the far left is 12in. long. They loose 2" per individual chime.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
ETA: About getting cut up with a rear choke...good point. As for the Tango, in most cases, if you slam a good choke on someone, they have about 3 seconds before they get impaired. You might get cut, but them are the breaks. AND, a rear choke in many cases puts Tango 1 between you and Tango 2,3 etc. It's a good defensive posture to take.

IMHO, nothing that ties up both your arms for several seconds in a multiple, trained, motivated attacker scenario is a good defensive posture.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
my carry on is usualy this nylon backpack. AAFES sells them. It's got two flat metal rods runnign from top to bottom.

Funny thing is, they can be removed via a velcro opening. Voila! 24x1x.25 piece of metal!

How hard would it be to put an edge on those? I have those in my Kifaru pack. Cool idea.

Another would be to travel with a leg amputee. If I was on a plane getting high jacked I'd find a capable looking chap and hand him my carbon fiber prosthesis. I have no doubt this thing would make a mess out of anyone who can swing it. I'd do it myself but it'd mean hopping into "battle".
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Sweet chimes. That would make glorious sounds as you smack them across Robby Raghead's face.

+1 on The Norm's comments. No weapon can replace excellent training.

If you can't throw a good jab/cross then having some keys protruding between your fingers won't matter much...but if you can throw a good combo, then the weapon makes sense.

But weapons are cool.

Isn't that why we're on this site...

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#26]
This thread is awesome. The SGN and gi-nourmous pencil ideas are classic.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How hard would it be to put an edge on those? I have those in my Kifaru pack. Cool idea.

Another would be to travel with a leg amputee. If I was on a plane getting high jacked I'd find a capable looking chap and hand him my carbon fiber prosthesis. I have no doubt this thing would make a mess out of anyone who can swing it. I'd do it myself but it'd mean hopping into "battle".

Stuff I've taken that passed unoticed. Bic pens, Keys on a 18" lanyard, 50 page or so magazine, water bottle with the nipple valve (squeezes into the face as a distraction), belt with a heavy buckle, knee brace and a heavy ended cane to help walk (knee brace was cosmetic), airosal deoderant, heavy boots, CD's, and a laptop computer (makes a good shield if needed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Most seat trays rip right out and should give you a chance to get close, look at the arms that hold the tray to the seat too.

Swinging or failing type stuff in an confined space just doesnt scream effective to me.

To the ground is were the fight needs to go, even if you suck on the ground. If you can get him there help should be close by.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Most seat trays rip right out and should give you a chance to get close, look at the arms that hold the tray to the seat too.

Swinging or failing type stuff in an confined space just doesnt scream effective to me.

To the ground is were the fight needs to go, even if you suck on the ground. If you can get him there help should be close by.

We have the shields covered... now we just need something in the plane that we can use as a spear and magic helmet.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have the shields covered... now we just need something in the plane that we can use as a spear and magic helmet.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Topic is interesting since im gonna be flying on Chrismas day (which might seem like a good day to attack for a muslim).

A bunch of loose change in a heavy duty long sock will make an extra nice flail (actually thinking about keeping this in my carry on bag , which will prolly be at my feet cause gonna be carrying DVDs in it).

Gonna be going to Denver before X-mas and flying back on X-mas day so the long sock will be expected and maybe they'll think I just stuck my change in the handiest spot :).

Anyways I doubt they'd consider it a weapon at an airport.

Im thinking some pencils that are long and sharpened will also work, stab as deep as possible then break off the end in him, he wont be able to pull it out unless he has pliers on him (doubful).
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Reminds me of a prison movie, called Bad Boys, with Sean Penn from the 80's where he beat the puddin' out of some dude with a full Coke can inside a long sock.

Yo , ICEAGE, figure out a way to remove the lead core from your pencil-dagger. That way when you stab Abdul in the neck and break it off, he bleeds out THROUGH the hollow pencil. Can you say "Monty Python blood fountain!"

That would be brutal!

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I bring chop sticks with me on my flights.  Nice new hard wood ones or you can pick up alloy ones as well.  Very sharp on the sharp end
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make some big chimes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a "frequent flyer" that I designed out of G10 fiberglass. Non-metal but could be found with a pat-down - possibly. A SF friend told me a long time ago that Americans get really fearful about feeling up a guys crotch, even cops. If I really want to hide something, that's the place it goes. It's about 12 nches OAL with a tanto style tip.

I carry a modified Kubaton every day made out of aluminum and I'm considering making an exact copy out of delrin, which is a hard, polymer type plastic rod. Should hold up real well and I think it'll pass through scanners easy enough and won't set of magnometers.

I usually fly with a belt that can be made into a garote easy enough. I also take a couple of nice metal pens and other writing instruments. I also have a GG&G TID on my Z2 combat light that flies with me.

I hate unarmed combat, but luckily I got some good training while at the 1/75th Ranger batt.

My next project will be a nice modified combat walking cane.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I could easily hide a number of real weapons in my prosthesis. I make it a point to notice how very little they do check it. They seem pretty timid about offending me or something, so they just do he explosive swab test and that's it. I could easily get a small pistol (assuming the swab test doesn't somehow detect encased gun powder, and a number of knives with very little effort.

I've mentioned it to several of the TSA guys and they just nod their heads and give a "have a nice day".
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Two rolls of quarters and a dress sock. Watched a drunk get the hell beat out of him in a bar once. The barkeep had had enough of his shit but the drunk was a big guy and would have kicked the barkeeps ass in an even fight.

Drop the quarters in the roll in the sock and tie a knot for a grip at the top of the sock.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Flails are a popular suggestion in this thread.  I suggest you practice using a flail in an environment similar to an airplane cabin.  I imagine you will be disappointed.  Thrusting attacks are your friend in this environment.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#39]
RTECH, you must be hung like a yak if you can hide a 12" G10 blade behind/under your unit...I'm impressed!!

Do you strap it to your inner thigh? (I'm reffering to the weapon, not your schlong...)
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Flails are a popular suggestion in this thread.  I suggest you practice using a flail in an environment similar to an airplane cabin.  I imagine you will be disappointed.  Thrusting attacks are your friend in this environment.

+1. Being 6'6" I could hardly swing a fist, let alone a flail type weapon. I have talked to people who have  used a flail in some sort of midevil mock fighting club, and they outlawed the flail, as people were always braking their wrists using them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Top idea is to learn how to fight in a small area. Or where to strike I should say.  ;) Search for the PFD file on British SAS and US special forces Hand2Hand combat.

Also for the sharp objects/ stabbing tools try

shivworks.com/PSP/An%20Expression%20of%20Pikal.pdf

Looks perfect for in an airplain.

But really, learn Special Forces combat stuff... It teaches how to kill and is what you need to know to defend from a raghead.

Practice in it and the above link for knives and you should be lethal enough to take care of yourself if your pissed.

Its stuff you can learn at home with a friend.

PFD names are

Copy_of__ebook_-_Martial-Arts__Pressure_Points_-_Military_Hand_to_Hand_Combat_Guide.pdf

and  Get_Tough.pdf

I wish I still had the links for them.

Be swift be brutal and have no mercy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Cool link, Ice. I printed it out.

I'm going to train it with our FMA/MMA group Monday.

Nice drill indeed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#43]
http://www.shivworks.com/stylus.asp

Check out the link.

This weapon is called the defense stylus...it's a fighting tool that doubles as a writing instrument.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:18:55 AM EDT
[#44]
One alternative idea for a flail would be a canned drink in a jacket pocket.
It could be used as it is or if one has time, rip a sleeve off, knot the ends.

Also a mist spray bottle of water with salt added until saturation makes a sort of mace, not even close to the real stuff, though.
If questioned, it can be explained away as a remedial for throat troubles.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Also a mist spray bottle of water with salt added until saturation makes a sort of mace, not even close to the real stuff, though.

You could always add some more stuff into that bottle like Tobasco sauce or something... make it a little more macey.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could always add some more stuff into that bottle like Tobasco sauce or something... make it a little more macey.

Habanero peppers would do the trick for sure.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Did anyone catch Myth Busters a night or two ago? They made a paper-mache (sp?) crossbow. It was pretty sweet.
It was modeled after one an inmate made to off another guy in the joint.
Would take too much time to build in a plane, but reminded me of our fun little thread here...good memories...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Being 6'6" I could hardly swing a fist, let alone a flail type weapon

That's why we use you as the sheild.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#49]
imho, the absolute best quick self defense weapon is a pen( or pencil if you can't get a pen). its common and there is almost always one with you. its easy to use, easy to conceal and very dangerous.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Being 6'6" I could hardly swing a fist, let alone a flail type weapon

That's why we use you as the sheild.

Every time I go to ozzfest, I end up with 3-4 very attractive small girls behind me. It works for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top