Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 2:03:51 PM EDT
First before I go into a rant what drives you apeshit the most in terms of students or lower belts?

Problem I have is this.  Do you get the newbies who come in and because they bought a video somewhere or took a "defend yourself" 1 and a 1/2 hour class once 3 years ago they know everything?  How do you deal with it?  Let them screw up, try to correct immediately, show them the door?   I do not run my own dojo but yet I get relegated to teaching more often than learning.  While I know this "cements" what I have learned, it gets awfully frustrating at a lack of progress or even to work on the material I need to work on.  I get quickly to the point I only want to work with the committed and not deal with the B.S., your thoughts?  

How long does it take your average student or walk-in moron to shut up and realize he knows nothing?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
An open mind is a prerequisite.  Make this known.  Tell them they are here to learn what you consider are the best techniques.  If they feel otherwise, they can revert to what they were doing when they leave and make a judgement on whether they want to return.  In your dojo, it's your way.

Just like with shooting, i teach an isosceles stance.  Even if you have always used the weaver stance, when you train with me you use isosceles.  When you leave, you can judge for yourself whether you want to keep using it or go back to a weaver stance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I only train people to be sparring partners for me.  THerefore I spar with everyone I train.  When someone does something wrong like not tuck in an elbow I hammer em in the ribs.  Put too much weight on the front leg, I thai kick em there etc.  They wont believe you till you show them by hurting them when they are know it alls.  After you pop em and explain why you were able to do that they listen.  I suggest beating up your students who wont listen.

After about 3 sessions if they dont listen they will be too beat up to want to contiue and they go away.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:55:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I only train people to be sparring partners for me.  THerefore I spar with everyone I train.  When someone does something wrong like not tuck in an elbow I hammer em in the ribs.  Put too much weight on the front leg, I thai kick em there etc.  They wont believe you till you show them by hurting them when they are know it alls.  After you pop em and explain why you were able to do that they listen.  I suggest beating up your students who wont listen. hey

I agree some what, make them go up against you or one of your students. Tell them you want to get a feel for where they are, you dont have to hurt them to make them realize they need your help!

Depending on how much of an attitude they displayed it could be fun though!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top