Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 11:35:07 PM EDT
It's rare to see a report that takes a more objective look at hormones, rather than simply screaming "they're bad for you."  

www.laweekly.com/ink/05/36/features-kotler.php

Everything you thought you knew about steroids is wrong
by STEVEN KOTLER
What I found interesting about this is that when steroid-related complications are compared to complications from other radical cosmetic practices like liposuction or breast augmentation, the statistics show across the board that elective surgeries produce far more problems, and far more serious ones at that. What I found more interesting was that unlike these cosmetic practices, steroids hold real promise. Plastic surgery may hide wrinkles by cutting them out, but steroids might actually make you feel younger from the inside out. All of which raises the question: If steroids are not nearly as bad for us as we’ve been led to believe, and if they show far more potential as anti-aging medicine than anything else currently available, then what the hell is the problem?
As it turns out, Jose Canseco was wrong. “Steroids aren’t the wonder drug of tomorrow,” says Mark Gordon, a Los Angeles–based anti-aging doctor with more than 3,700 patients, including movie stars, studio heads and network executives. “Steroids are the wonder drug of right now. Just look at the diseases they treat. Patients with MS on steroids exhibit no symptoms [according to several studies done in Europe, where research is more advanced]. A full turnaround in AIDS wasting syndrome. I know athletes who had injuries that normally take nine months to heal after surgery — with an anabolic-steroid protocol, that time shrinks to two months. Do you wear glasses? Do you know there’s a muscle surrounding the eye that wears out as we age and steroids can keep it healthy?” And his list doesn’t include many of the current or coming wonders of anti-aging medicine of which steroids — or, now that we’re being nice, let’s call them hormones — will be a part.
The thinking goes that all animals are extremely efficient machines throughout their reproductive years, but afterward those machines start to break down. Scientists now believe this breakdown is triggered by a loss in hormones. “The old idea,” says Rothenberg, “was that our hormones decline because we age. The new idea is that we age because our hormones decline.” Loss of hormones has been directly linked to everything from mental fuzziness and low libido to a variety of age-related disease like Alzheimer’s, arthritis, osteoporosis, Type II diabetes and cardiovascular disease. So the anti-aging world hit upon an obvious solution: Replace the missing hormones.
And then there’s the future of hormones. Not only are other methods of delivery soon to be available — making the syringe stigma a thing of the past — but there are also all kinds of gene technologies in development. “We’re talking about DNA repair at an incredible level,” says Rothenberg. “If your body has stopped producing the desired amount of testosterone, pretty soon we’re going to be able to insert genes that double testosterone production.” How effective these technologies will be or how controversial the hubbub they will produce remains to be seen, but anti-aging doctors figure that if we can hold on for five or 10 more years, then we’re looking at a life span of 120 years. And all those later years won’t be spent in a wheelchair and a nursing home. Thanks to the wonders of hormones, what’s on the table here is a geriatric second childhood. Unless, of course, Congress decides that anti-aging medicine is a threat to the seniors’ golf tour — and then, well, all bets are off.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice article.  As usually the doctors and the AMA side against good health.  They want to protect their income by keeping people unhealthy.

After an accident at work, I've lived for 34 years now with essentially a zero level of testosterone (20 ng/dl).  I'd love to be able to supplement mine, but I haven't found a doctor that isn't so afraid of the DEA that they always refuse to prescribe something like that to someone my age.  I know several guys in their late 70's and early 80's that are doing much better health-wise after they started taking trips twice a year to Mexico to buy these sort of things.

As an example of age-related degradation.  I was lifting weights once a week.  I was benching just over 200# and squatting just 425# two years ago.  After I've been working 7 days a week and only being able to lift weights about three times every two months on average, my bench press is down to 135# and my squat down to 225#.  I've also gained 42# of fat in the past two years.  I strongly believe that if I was allowed to have a testosterone blood level closer to the normal range, I would not have lost that much strength or gained that much weight.   I worked hard for decades for it so it's depressing to see it disappear.z
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean whats the problem?  You can go get HGH and anabolic steroids for "anti aging" right now and get buffed and ripped if you want.  Its not covered by medical insurance just like cosmetic procedures are not covered.  Its legal go do it if you want.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
HGH is quite expensive and not extremely effective.  Test will make you feel younger but would give certain androgenic problems which might make you feel older.  Enlarged prostrate anyone?

heh
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#4]
7 Keto, people!

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:22:42 AM EDT
[#5]
As usual, there are very good uses for a lot of things that are not so good (or ethical) when abused.

The article failed to mention severe burn patients, a group that also benefits greatly from anabolic steroids.

People who lose their testes are usually put on a testosterone patch.  That's replacing what they're supposed to have at normal levels.  Nothing wrong with that in just about anyone's book.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:41:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
7 Keto, people!

Wasnt DHEA banned as an anabolic steroid with other prohormones or was it specifically exempted?  If its an illegal anabolic why use it instead of directly using testosterone?  I have seen some nasty sides with people using DHEA... I would never touch it.

EDIT:  Confirmed, this is an illegal Class 3 felony to posess drug under the revision of the Anabolic Steroid Control Act as of Jan 1 this year.  No reason to use this over Testosterone.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As usual, there are very good uses for a lot of things that are not so good (or ethical) when abused.

What do you consider "abuse?"  Does "abuse" mean using a drug when you don't have a diagnosed medical condition?  Some say a glass of red wine every night keeps the heart healthy and may help you live longer.  Some use aspirin regularly as preventive medicine.    

So where is the line drawn?  What about hormones?  If a guy who isn't hypogonadal uses rational amounts of hormones on controlled schedules (analagous to the once-a-day wine sipper or aspirin popper), is he really "abusing?"  Hormones, alcohol, and aspirin are all drugs with many benefits when used by the knowledgable.    
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
7 Keto, people!

what's that?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
7 Keto, people!

what's that?

7 Keto

7 Keto is a popular supplement used to promote safe fat loss without the side affects of stimulants. 7 Keto is said to be a break through product in weight-loss and has also shown to have other welcome affects such as boosting the immune system, enhancing memory, and some anti-aging actions.

7-Keto is a naturally occurring metabolite derived from DHEA (Dihydroepiandrosterone). It can be found in many of our body tissues but cannot be converted to active androgens (testosterone) and estrogens.

It is more potent than DHEA. As part of an exercise program, 7-Keto Fuel may improve lean body mass by reducing cortisol (a stress hormone that is immune suppressive and catabolic) and increasing testosterone-to-cortisol ratios enabling the body to build muscle in a growth promoting environment. 7-Keto also enhances thermogenics.

7 Keto helps with fat loss without jitters or shaking (as seen with stimulant containing fat burners that contain ephedrine) by increasing fat metabolism. It does this by increasing the rate that the body burns calories and also increases the metabolic rate in which the body burns fat for fuel at all times, even when you are sleeping. This is a real benefit for people who are sensitive to stimulants or just want to stay away from any health concerns from such ingredients as ephedrine or caffeine. The amino acid L-Carnitine may also be combined with 7 Keto to help aid in fat metabolism and help reduce fats in the blood.

7 Keto is a fairly expensive supplement and most manufactures recommend using 25mg per day. However, studies have shown that the most effective dosage for weight loss is 50 to 100 mg’s two times daily. That is a total of 100-200mg’s per day.

The best times to take 7 Keto are once in the morning and again later in the afternoon, before meals.

If you are pregnant, it is NOT recommended that you use 7 Keto.

7 Keto is not illegal.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
does it increase your heart rate?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
does it increase your heart rate?

Everthing I've read says no.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#12]

You can go get HGH and anabolic steroids for "anti aging"

But try finding a doctor that is willing to do it.  I know several guys that have wasted thousands of dollars on tests only to have doctors tell them that their test level is extremely low, but the doctor is unwilling to write a prescription.

HGH is quite expensive and not extremely effective

Not effective for someone young.  If you're old enough to have a reduced production of GH, it is effective.  I have several friends my age that bought HGH from China after giving-up on finding a local doctor that would proscribe it.  They took about twice as much as your body normally produced at age 16 (can't remember the # of IU's), and it worked well for all of the guys.  One of them had a knee injury while in Korea and had limped since then.  His limp is noticeably less now, and he can deadlift half his weight.  That's very good for a guy that two years ago couldn't get out of a low chair without help.  HGH won't make a difference for someone 16 that already has a high GH level, but for 70+ year-olds it does work.  I would love to be able to legally try it.z
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

But try finding a doctor that is willing to do it.  I know several guys that have wasted thousands of dollars on tests only to have doctors tell them that their test level is extremely low, but the doctor is unwilling to write a prescription.

Not effective for someone young.  If you're old enough to have a reduced production of GH, it is effective.  I have several friends my age that bought HGH from China after giving-up on finding a local doctor that would proscribe it.  They took about twice as much as your body normally produced at age 16 (can't remember the # of IU's), and it worked well for all of the guys.  One of them had a knee injury while in Korea and had limped since then.  His limp is noticeably less now, and he can deadlift half his weight.  That's very good for a guy that two years ago couldn't get out of a low chair without help.  HGH won't make a difference for someone 16 that already has a high GH level, but for 70+ year-olds it does work.  I would love to be able to legally try it.z

At 600 dollars per month I think I will just take better care of myself now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$600 a month? Its not that cheap if you get it from a doctor in the US.  I know a doctor who makes a living only doing life extension stuff (hormone replacement like testosterone, HGH, thyroid, etc) in the same building where my girlfriend works.  He charges ridiculous prices but getting things prescribed for the wealthy is no problem.  Most regualr doctors are afraid to prescribe anabolics or HGH.  You have to find someone who does it for a living.  If you can get a script in hand and not buy from the ususally built in pharmacy, you can legally order from overseas a 3 month supply at a time and make it much more affordable.  The doctor makes his money from blood tests and doctors visits.  These doctors WILL NOT allow you to even attempt to use insurance as they done want to be investigated.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$600 a month? Its not that cheap if you get it from a doctor in the US.  I know a doctor who makes a living only doing life extension stuff (hormone replacement like testosterone, HGH, thyroid, etc) in the same building where my girlfriend works.  He charges ridiculous prices but getting things prescribed for the wealthy is no problem.  Most regualr doctors are afraid to prescribe anabolics or HGH.  You have to find someone who does it for a living.  If you can get a script in hand and not buy from the ususally built in pharmacy, you can legally order from overseas a 3 month supply at a time and make it much more affordable.  The doctor makes his money from blood tests and doctors visits.  These doctors WILL NOT allow you to even attempt to use insurance as they done want to be investigated.

Yeah I was talking about not so legal methods.  What do the docs prescribe?

4iu per day?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top