Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2005 8:44:31 AM EDT
I consider myself to be in good shape but everyone comments on how skinny i am, i kinda have the military look going on, (probably from lots of running and pushups)

So i am trying to put on some weight in the upper body, any tips? I heard creatine works good for fat guys trying to turn it into muscle but what works good for lean guys.

I am 72" 175.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Lift heavy, eat a lot, the only thing that will even help a little is creatine and calories.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Eat about 5K cals a day. That will help.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I consider myself to be in good shape but everyone comments on how skinny i am, i kinda have the military look going on, (probably from lots of running and pushups)

So i am trying to put on some weight in the upper body, any tips? I heard creatine works good for fat guys trying to turn it into muscle but what works good for lean guys.

I am 72" 175.

Even though you think you want to put on upper body mass, what you really want to do is gain overall bodymass (which will bring up your upper body).  You can do all the curls and presses you want, but you aren't going to grow your arms without growing the rest of your body.  A general rule of thumb is that you'll put 1" on your arms for every 15 pounds of body mass that you gain.

If the objective, then, is to gain body mass, you should be focused on doing heavy full body exercises in the gym - squats and deadlifts, and eating everything you can get your hands on.

At 175 pounds, you don't need supplements, you need food and heavy weights.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm 6' 152lbs.  Don't laugh.

It's all about the food and the heavy weights.  Obviously you don't want to go to heavy as to hurt yourself through sloppy form or excessive weight.  Your looking at at least 4K calories a day.  You start doing cardio...5K calories.

Try limiting your cardio to 20 min max.  No more than three times a week.  Okay, four but that's only if you really like your cardio.  If you are not worn out at the end of a 20 min cardio session, you did'nt work hard enough.  Remember, you're only going for 20 min 3X a week so give it everything you got for that time.  

Excessive cardio can--and will--break down muscle.  Proof?  Look at the REAL Special Forces operators, SEALS, ect, Ironman.  Not the biggest guys in the world.

Guys like us have the worst time putting on mass.  One thing that I have been told by more than a few people (and has been working) is a very high protein intake.  Try 1-1 1/2 grams of protein per lb of body weight per day.  That's right, per day.  

Protein shakes are good but can get expensive.  Tuna is your friend.  One can of tuna=32 grams of protein.  Little mayo/Ranch salad dressing.  Your good.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I get my protein from Edge nutirition. They have a 10lb bag of optimum nutrition whey protein for $48 bucks. That is cheaper per gram than tuna from costco, or anything else I have compared it too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
yup, protien works. Shake when you wake up, after your workout and  then before your go to sleep.
This is assuming you have workout around lunch, give or take an hour or two.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]

No-Xplode

This stuff works great!!!

Of course only if you eat ( plenty of protien ) properly

John

ETA:  I used to only put up 225lbs at my body weight of 165lbs for about 2 reps.

Now, and the same weight, I can press 275lbs for 6 reps
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
yup, protien works. Shake when you wake up, after your workout and  then before your go to sleep.
This is assuming you have workout around lunch, give or take an hour or two.

You should really ingest a more slowly digesting protein before bed. eg. Casin. I eat a few servings of cottage cheese before bed as that is the main type of protein in it. Whey is aborbed too quickly by the body to keep elevated levels of amnio acids throughout the night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top