Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2005 8:54:00 PM EDT
Is there a benefit to drinking Gatorade after a workout that outweighs the calorie increase?

I am currently working out twice a day for an hour or better each go. Sweating quite a bit as you can imagine, since its usually over 100 degrees out when I do my afternoon bike ride.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is there a benefit to drinking Gatorade after a workout that outweighs the calorie increase?

I am currently working out twice a day for an hour or better each go. Sweating quite a bit as you can imagine, since its usually over 100 degrees out when I do my afternoon bike ride.

I work landscaping in the summers.  I find that it is much easier on my system to cut my water jugs with about a 1/2quart of gatorade/gallon of water & ice.   I seem to have more energy and it doesent dry me out as fast as pure water.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I drink it in place of water and cut down on meals.  I am on a 5g creatine/3 whey protein shakes a day.  My recovery rate as far as cardio seems to be faster when drinking gatorade instead of water.  It rehidrates you much better and the calories are pretty slim in a serving size.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:17:24 AM EDT
[#3]
How long is your afternoon bike ride?  I limit sports drink consumption to runs over an hour and rides over 90 minutes-2 hours.  During longer efforts carb intake is very important to keep you going.  After a workout it is better to take in carbs and protein to start the recovery process.  You can use Gatorade to replace carbs, but it can be easy to take in more calories than you want that way.

FWIW I usually stick to water and a carb/protein bar immediately after a longer workout.  There are products out there designed for post-workout recovery, but they are pricier than Gatorade.  Your body will hydrate faster from a moderate carb solution (like Gatorade) than from pure water.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
After a workout, I like water and a couple of pieces of fruit.  That way if you get carbs, they are the right kind.  Water and a couple of bananas kinda hit the spot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:25:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I will drink some comple carbs that I have mixed in with protein to get the protein to my muscles as quickly as possible.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How long is your afternoon bike ride?  I limit sports drink consumption to runs over an hour and rides over 90 minutes-2 hours.  During longer efforts carb intake is very important to keep you going.  After a workout it is better to take in carbs and protein to start the recovery process.  You can use Gatorade to replace carbs, but it can be easy to take in more calories than you want that way.

FWIW I usually stick to water and a carb/protein bar immediately after a longer workout.  There are products out there designed for post-workout recovery, but they are pricier than Gatorade.  Your body will hydrate faster from a moderate carb solution (like Gatorade) than from pure water.

I agree with H46Driver.  I usually drink Gatorade on longer rides and stick with water for anything under 90 minutes.  It's important to replace those electrolytes when putting in a long effort but because Gatorade takes longer to be absorbed your body isn't going to get much use out of it on short efforts.  

H46 - We still need to head out for a ride one of these days.  Let me know if you can get out early Sunday morning because I usually hit Fort Story and get 35 miles in before church.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I agree with H46Driver.  I usually drink Gatorade on longer rides and stick with water for anything under 90 minutes.  It's important to replace those electrolytes when putting in a long effort but because Gatorade takes longer to be absorbed your body isn't going to get much use out of it on short efforts.  

H46 - We still need to head out for a ride one of these days.  Let me know if you can get out early Sunday morning because I usually hit Fort Story and get 35 miles in before church.

Ahh - you lack the Catholic Saturday night option.  I ride with a group from Final Kick on Sunday morning 0700.  This Sunday will be 75 miles for me - interested?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh - you lack the Catholic Saturday night option.  I ride with a group from Final Kick on Sunday morning 0700.  This Sunday will be 75 miles for me - interested?

I didn't know you ride with that crew.  No I gotta get my ride in, hit church with the family and then leave for DC.  I'll be back Tuesday night so let's try and sneak a ride in later next week.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't know you ride with that crew.  No I gotta get my ride in, hit church with the family and then leave for DC.  I'll be back Tuesday night so let's try and sneak a ride in later next week.

I just started about 6 weeks ago.  Next Friday I have a 25-30 miler to do and Sunday will only be about 50 miles so if you want to get together then let me know.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
A pretty good link on the advantages of sports drinks over water.

www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=12110
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just started about 6 weeks ago.  Next Friday I have a 25-30 miler to do and Sunday will only be about 50 miles so if you want to get together then let me know.

I might be able to do both days depending on when I have to head back to DC.  IM inbound.

StormSurge - sorry to hijack your thread
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
After a workout, I like water and a couple of pieces of fruit.  That way if you get carbs, they are the right kind.  Water and a couple of bananas kinda hit the spot.

So what do you consider the "right kind of carbs"?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I will drink some comple carbs that I have mixed in with protein to get the protein to my muscles as quickly as possible.

Why would you consume complex carbs if you want to get the carbs and protein into the muscles as fast as possible?  Seems counter productive.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought you were supposed to consume protien BEFORE a workout...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#15]
cut it by 1/2 or more with water.  You'll still get plenty of electrolytes without all the sugar.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#16]
What are "electrolytes" and why should we be concerned with them?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#17]
An electrolyte is a substance which dissociates free ions when dissolved (or molten), to produce an electrically conductive medium.

In physiology, the primary ions of electrolytes are sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, chloride, phosphate, and bicarbonate.  In particular, the maintenance of precise osmotic gradients of electrolytes is important. Such gradients affect and regulate the hydration of the body, blood pH, and are critical for nerve and muscle function.

Maintaining electrolytes is only a concern during extended workouts - we are talking multiple hours.  They are secreted in your sweat, but it takes a long time to deplete your body's stores.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#18]
For runs 1 hour and under I like drinking Powerade cut in half. I buy the powder, its cheaper than gatorade, and I like the taste better. I found full strength sports drinks are like syrup on my Stomach. So I water them down, mostly just to give the water some taste. For runs over 1 hour I use Accelerade, after the first hour and after to recover.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:48:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
For runs 1 hour and under I like drinking Powerade cut in half. I buy the powder, its cheaper than gatorade, and I like the taste better. I found full strength sports drinks are like syrup on my Stomach. So I water them down, mostly just to give the water some taste. For runs over 1 hour I use Accelerade, after the first hour and after to recover.

Where can one find Powerade powder?  I use Gatorade now, but the Richmond marathon will give out Powerade and I would like to switch to get my body used to it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:52:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I find it at Kroger, Meijer and Super K mart in the detroit area. Sometimes check by the Cocacola Isle in the store. I dont know if it makes a differance but Powerade has B Vitamins. The makers of Gatorade better watch out but Powerade is becoming available at more races now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Electrolytes. I use a 3L camelbak for my mtn bike rides. I pour in a 32oz bottle and fill the rest with water. The lemon-lime works well for this and its not too heavy when mixed with water. I only do this if the ride will last longer than 1.5 hrs, or its really hot and I plan on riding hard. Also, if you start using Gatorade for your workouts, I recommend buying the powder and mixing it youself. That will save a lot of money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top