Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2005 7:42:30 AM EDT
According to an article I read today, the government is reccomending at least 60 minutes of exercise a DAY, every DAY to maintain weight and 90 minutes a day EVERY DAY to lose weight.
Judas Priest on a Pogo Stick!  NINETY MINUTES EVERY DAY?
And I am sure this means cardio exercise of some sort.
I'm already logging an hour on the treadmill five days a week.  I wonder if it would be worth it to jump on the elliptical or the stationary bike for an extra half hour afterward?
But dammit I already lift for over an hour four days a week too...add another five and a half hours a week of cardio and I may as well just rent a freaking room at the gym.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
According to an article I read today, the government is reccomending at least 60 minutes of exercise a DAY, every DAY to maintain weight and 90 minutes a day EVERY DAY to lose weight.
Judas Priest on a Pogo Stick!  NINETY MINUTES EVERY DAY?
And I am sure this means cardio exercise of some sort.
I'm already logging an hour on the treadmill five days a week.  I wonder if it would be worth it to jump on the elliptical or the stationary bike for an extra half hour afterward?
But dammit I already lift for over an hour four days a week too...add another five and a half hours a week of cardio and I may as well just rent a freaking room at the gym.  

Maybe you should get one of those federal government jobs so you will have the time to do all this exercise.    Most of their offices are closed for a whole day at least once or twice a month.  The rest of the time, they seem to sit around and do practically nothing.   Just my personal observations.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't do shit and I maintain my weight.

Of course, I could stand to lose about 30, but

A few years ago I had to get into shape for ROTC, and running 2 miles every other day over a couple of months did most of it for me. Lost a bunch of weight and felt great. But it didn't require 90 minutes every day. It didn't even require 90 minutes of actual exercise every other day. It just required me to watch what I ate and keep pushing myself for a harder, faster run every time I went.

I think the 90 minutes bullshit might be applicable if your exercise consists of power walking.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Yeah they'll be saying something else and probably even less intelligent in another 6 months.  Just goes to show what any advice you get from the federal government tends to be worth.

Rik do you have the link by any chance?  Curious to read it in context.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw it on the front page of the paper this morning.  I didn't bother to read it.  You have to remember this advice came from a committee.  They all "compromised" on the whole thing.  Most if not all their nutrition advice came from lobbyist testifying before their committee, for the food companies.  Remember one thing when reading their nutrition advice.  These are the same people who made catsup a vegetable for school lunch programs.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yeah they'll be saying something else and probably even less intelligent in another 6 months.  Just goes to show what any advice you get from the federal government tends to be worth.

Rik do you have the link by any chance?  Curious to read it in context.

I read it in an actual paper-and-ink newspaper, as anachronistic as that sounds.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top