Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2005 2:47:49 PM EDT
You know, one of my biggest concerns with all the adrenaline hobbies I have, is that I am going to break something (bones) and not be able to lift for a while.  Well, nothing serious, just broke my thumb and tore the ligaments out of it, but the Dr says no using my left hand (Hey now....)for lifting etc for 6 weeks.  I don't think I'll make it that long not working the upper body, but I will give it some time (couple weeks) to heal.  In the meantime, I'll focus on core, stomach, back, legs etc.
 I guess there aren't any questions here, but am curious how others have dealt with injuries that stop you from your normal routines.  And don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about a broken thumb.  It could be much worse and I am grateful it's not.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually do what the doc says for a while. Then when I feel upto it I will do some real light excercises just so I dont get lazy.

Make sure I am comfortable doing the light ones with no pain and then eventually move up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a powerlifter, which means I'm doing lots of low rep close to max stuff, also means sometimes I get hurt good. Drives me nuts! I sympathize with you man, right now I have an inflamed tendon where my right forearm flexors insert to my elbow. Botom line is can't do anything that involes grip with my right arm. I can't even press warm-up weights right now!

Doc said no lifting (with that arm ) for 2 weeks. Got a cortazone shot in the tendon (oh joy!) and went on anti-inflamitorys. I'll work squats and cardio / ab work, work with my diet untill I can go full strength again and get back to my cycle (contest in April)

Getting hurt sucks but coming back too fast always seems to make the recovery time take longer. Still drives me nuts to have to take time off.

Rip

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Owwww!.  Sounds familiar to an old injury.  I was arm wresting one night drunk (learned my lesson) and tore the bicep tendon going into the inside elbow.  Holy god did that hurt!  I couldn't do anything with that arm for over two weeks.  Now I 1.) don't arm wrestle, and 2.) don't do anything physical when drinking.  Well, except for you know....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree w/KC0CXA.   Do what you can around the injury, but follow the doc's advice.  Maybe , could you use lifting straps?  

I injured my rotator cufff during the summer in '04 = no bench pressing for about 3 months!  Slowly, working w/my PT, I've gotten back to where I can do benches but the range of motion is limited -- go down only until upper arms are parallel w/ground (that ain't very far)!  It sucked and my pecs got weaker, but I am benching again w/no pain now, and it is a damn sight better than a permanent injury.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Rotater cuff...yikes!  Like I said, it's only my thumb/wrist, and I'm thankful for that.  Today I was able to do shrugs and other shoulder lifts without too much pain in gripping the weights, so I feel good about that.  Hartmann mentiones straps, I kinda did that.  I strapped on a bunch of ankle weights on the forearm, above the wrist, and was able to get by.
 Shitty thing happened a few mornings ago; I was out shoveling the layer of snow that fell on the layer of ice (WI) and did an "ass over tea kettle" flip right on my left side, which, by chance is where my fucked up hand is located.  Bruised my elbow, re-injured my thumb and hurt my right lower back.  Luckily, I have a high tolerance for pain as well as a quick healing body.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I got in a street fight about 6 months ago and split one of my dominant (left) hand's knuckles right in 2 pieces.  Have a titanium screw in there now :)  I benched even with the cast on... just got to know your own body and be careful.  With most weight lifting your hands and wrists are usually stationary for the most part, or you could adjust your lifts to accomodate this.

Just be careful.  

Nikkels
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top