Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 8:12:06 PM EDT
So, if you take protien supplements, does it matter when you ingest the stuff; i.e. before/after a workout, or does it do its job whenever you take it in during the day?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand your supposed to take it within 30 minutes of your workout. The reason is , is that your body is drawing in all of it's resources(vitamins,carbs,e.t.c.) to help it recover from the workout. When you put protien in to the system your body will use that also. Hope this helps. Anybody else? Take care and good luck.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
As others have mentioned it is very important to get some protein in you before and after a workout. before and after a workout I would reccomend taking in a redily digestable source of protien such as the whey protein supplements found at your local health food stores. At other times of teh day I try to ingest slower digesting proteins that come from whole foods such as chicken, tuna, and cottage cheese.

Also it is important to recognise the fact that your body can only matabolize so much at once. they say that about 30g is the limit here. So you must spread your intake of protein out through the day. I eat 6 small meals, and take about 1/6th of my daily protein in at these times.

The generally accepted baseline is 1g/lb. of body weight per day for a body builder. I noticed a huge jump in my gains, when adopting this tactic. I would reccomend it highly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Linky no worky, froglegs!

As far as the whey supplements go, are you talking about the powder kinds that can be mixed with milk to make a "shake"? That's what I'm using now. Stupid newbie question, but what are the better brands? Can these be used without adding milk, or will it turn into a gloopy undrinkable mess?

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Linky no worky, froglegs!

As far as the whey supplements go, are you talking about the powder kinds that can be mixed with milk to make a "shake"? That's what I'm using now. Stupid newbie question, but what are the better brands? Can these be used without adding milk, or will it turn into a gloopy undrinkable mess?

Try this one: www.t-nation.com

Lots of good info there. Just run a search...

I just got some of the GROW protein powder and I've got to say it's the best I've ever tried. Mixes easy and doesn't taste like crap. It is much finer (not a gritty/sawdust like). The other types I have tried has been whatever was on sale at GNC.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#6]
How soon is "after" a workout is the best time to take the protien supplements? an hour? Ten minutes? Instantly?

Great site froglegs; I bookmarked it for later study.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How soon is "after" a workout is the best time to take the protien supplements? an hour? Ten minutes? Instantly?

Great site froglegs; I bookmarked it for later study.

The body can use about 20 grams of protein roughly every 3-4 hours if you're lifting hard.

I usually wait about a 15-20min. after lifting for protein.  Gives the stomach/body time to calm down.  Any sooner you might get nauseated.

I also try to take Aminos before working out about 1-2 hours is good (on an empty stomach is actually prefered) and protein in the mornings and after wooking out which happens to be about an hour before bed.  I've also been told that cottage cheese is a good thing to eat before bed.  It helps to elevate the nitrogen levels which helps absorbation of protein.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, cottage cheese is great to eat before bed due to teh fact that ir is Casein protein. It breaks down much more slowly, and is thus suited for the time when you are sleeping, and wont be taking in any more protein.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
You're body will use what you intake the best when you first wake up and after a workout. So have a protein shake first thing when you wake and after your workout. But after you work out, you will probably want some carbs for some energy within 30 min.(so your body doesn't start burning the protein in your muscles for energy) of your work out. And protein after your carbs, probably within 1 hour of the work out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw my best results when I took 30 grams of protien every two hours.  My size increased dramatically as did my strength.  Within the first 30 minutes after my workout I took Cell Techc creatine.  This is the time when your muscles will absorb the creatine due to the elevated insulin levels.  Remember to drink LOTS of water and rest as hard as you work out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top