Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 5:56:10 PM EDT
Well today was my first meet. It was hot enough that you'd sweat just standing around, so it was pretty bad while running. This is my first year running cross country, so my goal was to do it in under 23 minutes and not be in last place. I accomplished both. The course is a little shorter than 5k, but it sure didn't feel like it while running! I ran it in 20:52 and finished 57th out of 69 high school boys.

Here are some pictures.

The kid in the white t-shirt is me. On the left is a friend of mine that reads this forum and posts from time to time. We don't have a very big boys team, several people couldn't attend (soccer & baseball).

Here's the start. I'm circled.

This is me after about half of the race. My hair appears much longer than it is.

There are about 25 meters left. I blew by that kid behind me. When I was 10 feet away, I seriously considered walking, so I most definitely exerted myself pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:28:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You know...  a high and tight will make you run faster.  

Actually, running intervals will make you faster.  Pain is your friend.  

Edited to add:  Sub-7:00 minute miles is not too bad.  What was the winning time?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You know...  a high and tight will make you run faster.  

Actually, running intervals will make you faster.  Pain is your friend.  

Edited to add:  Sub-7:00 minute miles is not too bad.  What was the winning time?

15 something....the kid in the back of the team picture got 10th place with 15:55.

I am not a good runner, but I am much better than I was before I started. I was in track last spring, but before that I never ran.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Rock on with your bad self!  I would only run if that pit bull that bit me would chase me again.  Looks like you've been working really hard...way to go!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:15:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Good for you Wolfie. What school do you go to? I know you are around the Meigs-Athens line. I'm in southern Meigs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]
you go boy!

"get a haircut"  
+1
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Good for you Wolfie. What school do you go to? I know you are around the Meigs-Athens line. I'm in southern Meigs.

Wow, I didn't know anyone else lived that close.

I go to Alexander, but live about 300 yards from the Athens corporation limits. I'm in Athens district but choose to go to Alexander.....the school where teachers use guns as teaching aids.

Edit to say that you guys telling me to get a haircut quite obviously have no idea what teenage girls find attractive.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey good goin Master Wolf! I ran track and wrestled in high school about 100 years ago and still enjoy running and endurance type training. Keep up the good work. As far as not being a good runner, give yourself some credit! You got out there and ran , tried your best and finished!! That is a whole lot better than most of the people I know! It is the same with just about everything, the more you do it the better you will be. I absolutely SUCKED when I started wrestling and lost a lot my first season but I kept at it and by the end of next season I lettered and was  ranked 4th in the state at my weight class. Keep on truckin! Take care. Coondog  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:45:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Edit to say that you guys telling me to get a haircut quite obviously have no idea what teenage girls find attractive.

**Not so, grasshopper!**

if i was interested in teenage girls i'd be in jail by now.  nonetheless, the adult ones pay much more attention to a paycheck than to the length of your hair.  take that to the bank.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

**Not so, grasshopper!**

if i was interested in teenage girls i'd be in jail by now.  nonetheless, the adult ones pay much more attention to a paycheck than to the length of your hair.  take that to the bank.

Teenage girls like it. I don't know when I'll revert back to short hair though. Probably when I need to. Once I'm out of college, I'll have a good paying job. Probably in mechanical engineering. So either way I'm not too worried about it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Good job. I remeber when I threw the shot and disk in HS. I really sucked, but myself and my friends were only on the boys track team for one reason, the girls track team.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top