Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2004 4:09:42 AM EDT
Anybody tried one these? I've seen a few books by Stew Smith and others but dont have any idea if they contain any worthwhile info. I assume the routines contain lots of running and hi-rep bodyweight only stuff.
Not intending to join up, but since the special ops community churns out a lot of physically fit soldiers, I'm curious as to what these workouts entail.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one such book. I bought it at a book shop's "going out of business" sale. I can't put my hands on it at the moment. I can say that it had great descriptions of each exercise with detailed diagrams of the muscle groups worked during each exercise. It also listed the Pros and Cons of each exercise. And of course it had the photo sequence of how to do each of the exercises. I picked out 10 of the routines to use almost daily. This book seems to be very well laid out with its photos, muscle diagrams, useful exercises and the pro and con section for each. I'll look for the book and compare authors with you later.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#2]

I have a three video set that I bought a long time ago, made by a former SEAL (his name escapes me right now, and the videos are packed up).

Unfortunately, the guy was an authentic man's man, and he was one of the four contractors in Iraq who were killed, strung from the bridge, and burnt by the mob earlier this year.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a three video set that I bought a long time ago, made by a former SEAL (his name escapes me right now, and the videos are packed up).

Unfortunately, the guy was an authentic man's man, and he was one of the four contractors in Iraq who were killed, strung from the bridge, and burnt by the mob earlier this year.

it was scott
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it was scott

Yep, Scott Helveston (sp?) Now I remember.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah, he was totally bad, nice guy from what i hear, family man too

i will never forget what those bastards did to him
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I actually saw him on TV recently. It was on the stupid FOX show "Man vs Beast".  As soon as I saw the guy I recognized him as one of the Blackwater Contractors. He was running an obstacle course against a chimpanzee. It almost made me sick that they'd broadcast this portion of their moronic show after the guy died protecting his country. But hey...maybe they got ratings...

Bastards.In other news I got "The Special Ops Workout" book and it's pretty good. I've done a week of the beginner's general conditioning workout and it's kicking my ass! I thought I was in decent shape too! It'll be months before I get into the advanced stuff....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been doing this one

Navy SEAL Workout

I am on week 12 It is a good workout. Kicks your ass! But I am in awesome shape now.

I have built some muscle but mostly I have toned and lost alot of fat. That is what I was going for to begin with.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got Maximum fitness by S. Smith and it has a years worth of workouts planned out in 4 quarters.  Workouts are rotating from calisthenics to light lifting and calisthenics to a putting on muscle.

Due to my training for LEO fitness tests I only made it 1/2 way through the second quarter.  I didn't want to get injured and not be able to pass the test the first day of the academy.  Injuring yourself is a real possibility as you are working out really hard and 6 days per week.  each quarter has a rest week during week 9 where you do nothing.  

It incorporates swimming too and you will be able to do a real triathalon  when you're done with this year (as long as it's not open water swimming.)
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have been doing this one

Navy SEAL Workout

I am on week 12 It is a good workout. Kicks your ass! But I am in awesome shape now.

I have built some muscle but mostly I have toned and lost alot of fat. That is what I was going for to begin with.

YMMV

I guess I should skip to 2nd 9wks week 6 if I start because I'm already doing more than that now...

Navy Seal huh?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have "The Navy Seal PT Burnout Challenge" By C.J. Caracci.. It`s around 80 min. I have seen him doing EP work for Oscar Delahoya (sp?) During the last few fights of his i watched. I havn`t seen any others so i can`t compare it to anything else like it. It is seemingly endless PT.

From the cover: "Caracci demonstrates how far you can push your body, as he demonstrates over 40 different exercises in continous sets under the desert sun"
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess we all now see that you dont really need the weights to get your ass in shape eeh?  I used to use them incessantally for 20+ years,.....damn I wish I knew then what I know now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
looks like a pretty good workout
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't need to buy the book, used to do it. No I wasn't a SEAL . Was in the Corps as part of a raider unit and every Sunday we would go up on what ever deck wasn't being used for other things and pt for 5 hours with theSEALS. I think about doing that now and about puke! Something about 500 crunches, 500 "side straddle hops",500 bends and thrusts on and on and on just doesn't thrill me anymore. My work out now consists of 15 minutes stretching/push ups/crunches followed by 30 minutes cardio and 30 -45 minutes wieght training. And ending wit more stretching /cool down type stuff. Not trying to toote my own horn , just suggesting that this may work for you all too. Take care. Coondog
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top