Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 11:06:42 AM EDT
Ok guys I need some help...I need to beable to do 40 setups in one minute...How can I achieve
this? What are some good work outs to build abs FAST?

I have not done setups in years so I need help and I only have about a month to beable to build up to this...Thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#1]
How long do you have?  If the test is in a week, you're screwed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]
end of January...
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#3]
40 sit ups in one minute by the end of January shouldn't be that hard to accomplish.

Start training those abs now.  Just be sure not to go overboard.  If you do 300 sit ups today after not doing any in years, you will probably hurt yourself.  Just start slow. 3 sets of 10 reps.  3 sets of 15 reps... and so on.  Just build up slowly.  If you have to spend a week recoperating from an overly strenuous workout, you are defeating the purpose.  Just make sure you are up to 40 in a minute by a couple of weeks before the test.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:29:51 AM EDT
[#4]
if you wanna work on your upper stomach i found that laying on the floor with a dumbbell in each hand lifting it over your head parrel with your chest works pretty good for the solar plexus,, start with bout 10 lbs wieghts do bout 4 or 5 sets of 20 with em gives it one great work out anout having the wieghts parrel to your side and doing not really crunches but not situps taking your back to about a 45 degree angle to the floor works the mid to lower stomach pretty good too
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello,

Honestly...learn more about the test.

If they let you hook your feet on something (or someone holds your feet down), work on using the hip flexor muscles in your legs rather than your abdominal muscles.  Pivot around your hip socket.

To do this, pull against the hold/hook with the tops of your feet and simulate a leg extension machine.

Also figure out a cadence to breathe with...something like exhale for 2 reps and inhale for 2 reps so you don't starve yourself of oxygen during the test.

Do the test to figure out how many you can do (say 20).  Then halve the amount and do 4 sets of the halved amount (say 10).  

Add 1-2 reps per set each workout.

10 10 10 10
11 11 11 11
12 12 12 12
etc...

Also/or remove 1-2 reps from the last set and add them to the first set until the last set is zero.

10 10 10 10
12 10 10  8
etc., to...

20 10 10

Then repeat with 2nd and 3rd set

20 12  8
20 14  6
etc., to...

20 20

Then repeat with 1st and 2nd set

22 18
24 16
etc.

40 reps in 60 seconds, I would try for a 1rep/sec pace (thinking you will slow down during the test).

3x per week should be good enough.  Let us know if it starts tweaking your back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:55:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I also suggest doing full sit ups over crunches.  Also put a weight plate on your chest too - it will help strengthen your abs.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
if you wanna work on your upper stomach i found that laying on the floor with a dumbbell in each hand lifting it over your head parrel with your chest works pretty good for the solar plexus,, start with bout 10 lbs wieghts do bout 4 or 5 sets of 20 with em gives it one great work out anout having the wieghts parrel to your side and doing not really crunches but not situps taking your back to about a 45 degree angle to the floor works the mid to lower stomach pretty good too

Parallel. It's parallel.
How do you define something as parallel to the chest? What axis to you consider the chest to run along?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top