Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 5:16:21 PM EDT
Looking to build arms, shoulders and chest. I want something I can do at home 3 times a week, in an hour or less. I have dumbbells and a basic utility bench like this. Can someone recommend a workout plan for me?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
starting strength or stronglifts 5x5
not exactly what you asked for but what you should do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You can adapt 5x5 for dumbells.  You can't do normal back squats, but you can hold them in the rack position or down at your sides.  

Five sets of five repetitions of the following five exercises.  It can be done in less than an hour.
Squat
Deadlift
Bench Press
Row
Press
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can adapt 5x5 for dumbells.  You can't do normal back squats, but you can hold them in the rack position or down at your sides.  

Five sets of five repetitions of the following five exercises.  It can be done in less than an hour.
Squat
Deadlift
Bench Press
Row
Press
View Quote
you're not supposed to do all 5 every day
3 days a week
aba
bab

a day squat bench row
b day squat press dead
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

3 days a week
aba
bab

a day squat bench row
b day squat press dead
View Quote
That's for linear progression with a barbell.

I'm going to assume OP has a single set of dumbbells, like 20s or 30s.  Your not going to get much stimulus from 5 sets of 5, 3 times in two weeks.  Since your stuck with intensity you'll have to program volume to progress, that means adding reps/sets, speed or including more movements.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's for linear progression with a barbell.

I'm going to assume OP has a single set of dumbbells, like 20s or 30s.  Your not going to get much stimulus from 5 sets of 5, 3 times in two weeks.  Since your stuck with intensity you'll have to program volume to progress, that means adding reps/sets, speed or including more movements.
View Quote
I've got a set of 20s, 25s and 30s.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
3 days a week
aba
bab

a day squat bench row
b day squat press dead
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Squat
Deadlift
Bench Press
Row
Press
3 days a week
aba
bab

a day squat bench row
b day squat press dead
I did all 5 movements every other day.  Worked great for me.  If OP uses 5x5, he's going to need heavier dumbells pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes your going to need more weight soon. For what you are doing I would go with the stability ball over that bench. There is nothing you can do on that bench that cant be done on the ball. You didn't mention legs so we will not remind you to sq or dl but you should.  If it were me I would do curls,hammer curls, tricep extensions. Front raise,side raise. Clean and press. Bench press and palms facing bench and rows. I would also find a way to do pull ups, dips and push ups.  I would do all of that for about an hour twice a wk until I was used to it. Eventually I would do it 3xwk for a total of about 3hrs and that would bring decent results.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes your going to need more weight soon. For what you are doing I would go with the stability ball over that bench. There is nothing you can do on that bench that cant be done on the ball. You didn't mention legs so we will not remind you to sq or dl but you should.  If it were me I would do curls,hammer curls, tricep extensions. Front raise,side raise. Clean and press. Bench press and palms facing bench and rows. I would also find a way to do pull ups, dips and push ups.  I would do all of that for about an hour twice a wk until I was used to it. Eventually I would do it 3xwk for a total of about 3hrs and that would bring decent results.
View Quote
Where's them DB snatches yo?

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
That should last you a week or so. Might want to do extra set as many reps as possible.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That should last you a week or so. Might want to do extra set as many reps as possible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can always buy more. I know how to do that. What I need now is an effective plan to use them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#13]
How are your legs?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How are your legs?
View Quote
Put it this way; I have a difficult time finding pants slim enough in the waist that don't squeeze my thighs and calves.

Right now, I basically look like the reverse version of the Hugh Jackman don't skip leg day pic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm interested in this. I want to buy some dumbells and a bench for the days I don't feel like driving to the gym.

TC
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm interested in this. I want to buy some dumbells and a bench for the days I don't feel like driving to the gym.

TC
View Quote
if you are going to go dumbells get ones you can adjust.

if you are already going to get a bench you might as well get a rack and a barbell as well. takes up a slightly larger corner of a room and you can avoid the gym altogether.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Your weights are a bit light so I'd recommend in investing in a pair of adjustable weight dumbbells. They usually go up to 50lbs which is quite adequate. Also buy a band. They are quite cheap.  Instead of suggesting a bunch of complex routines, I'd say Just do Vince Gironda's 8x8 full body routine, except leave out the legs. You can substitute a dumbbell row for the back exercise.

Vince Gironda's 8 x 8 is an outstanding method of training because it allows you to hit every body part three times a week in a short amount of time. It also introduces a different progression method that 99% of trainees have probably never tried. The basics are simple:

Perform 8 sets of 8 reps per body part every session.
   Train 3 times a week.
   Employ a mini push/pull order within the workout, similar to Leroy Colbert's method.
   Train your weakest body parts first.

The progression is where it gets interesting. Instead of simply adding more weight to the bar, you reduce rest times. You start with 45 or 60 seconds of rest between sets and every time you successfully get all 8 reps for all 8 sets, you cut the rest period by 5 seconds.

The starting weight should be around 60% of your normal 8-rep maximum (that's assuming you normally rest a minute or two for 3-5 sets). The lowest you reduce your rest to is 15 seconds between sets (some may want to stop at 30). At that point, you'd add weight and start over.

You should steadily progress for about 6-8 weeks as this is a different type of overload than your body is used to. By the 8-week mark, some trainees can use 100% of their original 8-rep max for 8 sets of 8 with only 15-30 seconds rest between sets.

However, even if you manage to work your way back to 75% of your original 8-rep max, you're still doing a lot more work in a lot less time. The pump and the mind muscle connection is incredible and it's also easy on the joints.

A basic routine might look like this:
 Exercise Sets Reps
A Bench Press 8 x8
B Lat Pulldown (do pull-ups if you're a stud) 8 x8
C Overhead Triceps Extension 8 x8
D Body Drag Curl 8 x8
E Lateral Raise 8 x8
F Hack Squat 8 x8
G Standing Calf Raise 8 x20

That's 56 sets, which would take a little over an hour if using 45-second rest periods, or only 43 minutes if using 15-second rest periods.

The last thing to consider is exercise variety. Obviously you wouldn't expect to get a thicker and wider back from just doing lat pulldowns for 8 weeks.

You could alternate between two exercises such as pulldowns and bent-over rows and still follow the prescribed progression. The same can be said for any body part; you want to practice a variety of movements.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/full-body-workouts-of-the-legends
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Your weights are a bit light so I'd recommend in investing in a pair of adjustable weight dumbbells. They usually go up to 50lbs which is quite adequate. Also buy a band. They are quite cheap.  Instead of suggesting a bunch of complex routines, I'd say Just do Vince Gironda's 8x8 full body routine, except leave out the legs. You can substitute a dumbbell row for the back exercise.

https://www.t-nation.com/system/publishing/article_assets/1433/original/Vince-Gironda.jpg?ts=1421277743
View Quote
that very interesting, I might add some of that into my 5/3/1 type program I do...but only for a few of the assistance lifts.  glad you posted that.  thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top