Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 11:34:42 AM EDT
As you know I have been on a fitness regimen running 3-4 days a week, exercising, etc.  I satrted last fall about 248-250lbs@ 6'4".  I'm down to 220# now, been there for about 6 weeks.  I have stopped losing any weight.  I am losing fat because my clothes are getting looser.  What gives?  My wife says my calfs are bigger as well as my thighs but I can't tell.  Also my resting heart rate was 78bpm on average before I started, I'm at 58bpm now.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
All I KNOW......is your in better shape today, then before, as indicated by your restingHR, right. SO......continue[:)], just eat enough "good" food to keep your fat loss---> fat loss, not muscle loss.IMO I'm older(probably)and maybe not wiser, but a FF friend of mine is like a skeleton because all he does now is insessant cardio, No lifting(musclebuilding).  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a guess here, but if you are building mudcle and burning fat you can definately gain total weight depending one the rate of muscle gain/fat loss. Muscle weighs more than fat, I used to work out a lot when I was in my early 20's (just got started again) and I weighed 185lbs and had sixpack abs, I now weigh 165 and have much more fat than I used to.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Congrats!

It is better to check your fat loss w/ a tape measure than a weight scale.  As a new lifter, you can get significant muscle growth pretty quickly, which results in a gain in weight.

Now, you may just be experiencing a leveling off in fat loss.  That is typical.  You need to increase your intensity or volume of working out.

-Good luck

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I was walking around in my boxer shorts last night while cooking a steak and I walked past my wife on the couch and she said *laughing*
"man babe, you're getting a big butt...finally!"  She's happy about my weight lifting.  "I'm building a butt" I told her, after not having had one for so long it's great!

I'm 5'10" 155# by the way and before lifting I was 5'10" 135# which equals no butt.

umm yeah, congratulations on the weight loss and getting back in shape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top