Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 11:45:11 AM EDT
Any recommendations on CDs with inspiring, rhythmic, or "psyche YOU UP" music?

I don't have the time and patience to find tracks or burn CDs or MP3s. If I could find something with cuts from "Top Gun", "Rocky", etc. for example, that'd be the ticket.

Any suggestions? Thanks!  
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I use DJ mixes of House music.  Its a steady constant beat and usually in the 135-145 beat/minute rate.

If you want to try it out (i'm a former club DJ, so i used to make my own from records i owned)  try BadBoyBill's "Bangin the Box 5".  Its a mix of funky disco house, not 'techno' like some people think of dance music.  

I find that it works great on long runs to set a pace too, since the BPM is constant.  Musical breaks kill me, i just feel like the world stops.

If you want more high energy stuff, look for mixes by BadBoyBill, DJ Dan, Josh The Funky 1, Donald Glaude, and things like that.

Hope that helps from 'this' side of the music spectrum ;)
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
May I suggest Blood For Blood? Great hardcore band, and definetely "inspirational". Would recommend "wasted youth crew", "so common, so cheap", "bitch called hope", or their cover of Motorheads "ace of spades".

Though I don't think you'll find any of their songs on any soundtracks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Almost anything by Slayer.  If those doublekick drums don't get your heart rate up, nothing will.  I have to listen to music like that to keep from slowing-down while working-out.  I've really had trouble keeping my pace the past few years.z
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#4]
How about some Donna Summers. I like the tune She works hard for the money.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions.

Couldn't find any BadBoy Bill, lots of Slayer to choose from. Picked up Blood for Blood "Wasted Youth Brew" - they don't include lyrics sheets in the CDs anymore?? ~LOL~
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Couldn't find any BadBoy Bill, lots of Slayer to choose from. Picked up Blood for Blood "Wasted Youth Brew" - they don't include lyrics sheets in the CDs anymore?? ~LOL~
View Quote

The Wasted Youth Brew album (also the name of a song off of Revenge On Society) was actually mostly a collection of hard to find demos and 7"'s (does anyone know what those are anymore?). On the rest of their albums (Revenge On Society, Living In Exile, Outlaw Anthems, Spit My Last Breath) they include the lyric sheets. They do help, but I've also got a trained ear for that kind of stuff.

Did you like the Wasted Youth Brew? It is good IMO, but Living In Exile and Outlaw Anthems are by far their best stuff if you ask me. If that album at all even slightly caught your fancy, check out those other two. I'm sure you could find samples of them somewhere if your record store doesn't let you listen before you buy (both of the best ones here do).

And again, their cover of Ace Of Spades is badass. It's the hidden track on Living In Exile.

Defenitely not sunshine and puppy dogs band.

But probably one of the best "fuck off" kind of bands.

At least they're a little more real than most.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top