Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 11:29:58 AM EDT
Are there any runners here?  Hardcore?

I've run a couple of marathons, PR'ed at 3:24 so far.  Multiple halfs, PR at 1:35...  all the way down to 5Ks.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I ran the Dallas White Rock when I was 15 and again at 16 (right around 4 hours). Have run the Half several times. All my toenails came off during the first marathon. And my tits were bleeding. I vasolined up for the second.

When I was 18 I was folded up in a car wreck and lost my knees. Had surgery on one and got a Deep Vein Thrombosis...Fancy for blood clot. Spent a year and a half on blood thinners. Never had the other operated on.

I was 6 foot tall and 135 to 140lbs soaking wet.

Now I am the same height and weigh 215. Still got bum knees, the one I had surgery on did not help.

People Do not belive me when I tell them I used to run 70 miles a week, until I pull out the old scrap book.
I have tried to get back into it several times, but my knees won't let me do it. Another Surgery is NOT an option.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Im a runner but not a racer, I only do it for
fitness. I run about 35 - 45 miles a week.

[coffee]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:58:30 AM EDT
[#3]
chaos4570 - sorry to hear about your knees...  that stinks.  I am just coming off of my first injury.  It kept me from running Boston this year.

Thunderbolt - I only run a few races a year.  Most of my time is spent 'training'.  My first couple of years running, I was a 'race whore'.  I still have so many race shirts, I had to give them away.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Used to be hard-core. Now I'm just old. Doubt I'll ever come close to my marathon PR (3:16) again--can't even run that pace for 10K right now. But I still consider myself a runner even though I'm lazy, unwilling to run nine times a week any more and have the extra 15 pounds to show for it. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Have been running for 25 of my (almost) 40 years.  Distance has gone up, and so has the pace !!   I used to run 5, 8, occasional 10K's, plus 2 mile for Army PT test.

For the last couple of years I've been doing longer distances.  1 marathon (Chicago) and 4 half-marathons so far.  I've done 2 half-marathons this Spring.  Not fast though, just under 2 hours.  You guys are some speedsters...

Thunderbolt - 35-45 miles a week is a lot !!

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Started running last fall.  Was LOUSY!  Getting better.  I run about 8-10 miles a week, running 3-4x per week.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Started running last fall.  Was LOUSY!  Getting better.  I run about 8-10 miles a week, running 3-4x per week.
View Quote

It does get easier as you stick to it.  Running is tremendous strain on your legs.

I started running to lose weight.  Now I run because I really love it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I started running to lose weight.  Now I run because I really love it.
View Quote

And one of running's overlooked benefits is that, generally, the better shape you get into, the lower your resting pulse becomes. For those who shoot--especially competitively--not having the front sight dancing away while you try to time squeezing off a round between "beats" is much more easily accomplished when there's more time between "beats." [:)]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#9]
another benefit from running and losing that
"pot belly" is you make it easier on your lower
back, less stress on the back, and you can look
down and see your toes instead of that big
disgusting fat belly, also being leaner is better for the heart.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#10]
kato4moto - absolutely...  my RHR is 42 beats per minute.  I shoot bad for other reasons.  [:)]

Ultimately, running is part of my SHTF plan.  I can get miles on foot in a short period of time.  No gas needed.  Only an occasional Snickers bar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top