Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 9:04:26 PM EDT
Hey guys.  My brother is really into that working out and lifting weights and diets and shit.  I've always been sort of a "eat what you want" kinda guy and didn't do too much working out except for when I was doing boxing.  My boxing gym was probably 70% conditioning and 30% working on technique.

Anyways, I've decided to get serious and do some weight training and what not.  I've always been fairly strong and have decent muscle tone for a guy that doesn't work out alot.

At any rate...
My brother is working up a weight-training program for me.  He mentioned the importance of stretchine and flexibility, but said that it would be difficult for him to describe online or over the phone.  So I asked some of the fitness buffs in my martial arts class about stretching and flexibility advice.

Two guys highly recommended [url]http://www.stadion.com[/url], specifically that guy's book called "Stretching Scientifically."  Now I highly respect the opinions of the people who pointed me in that direction.  However, Amazon reviews on that book were mixed.  Has anyone read that book?  I believe it's now in the 4th edition and many amazon reviews were based on the 3rd edition and they said that the main complaint with the book was that it's poorly organized.

So does anyone have some books or websites to go to for information on stretching and flexibility exercises?  What are you opinions on [i]Stretching Scientifically[/i] if you have it, and what edition of the book do you have?

I'm in decent shape and don't have any serious permanant injuries, and I just want to keep it that way.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, sir!!

You BETTER BELIEVE that stretching exercises prior to working out will PREVENT many injuries!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
stretching isn't that complicate, just learn what muscles you have, and which way they contract and stretch them the opposite way.  Stretching is VERY important,not only to keeping your flexibility and helping your muscles grow, but your muscles will look better also.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe stretching after your last set in the gym helps in growth and recovery.  Stretching helps to stretch the fascia that covers your muscles and allows them to grow bigger in a shorter amount of time.  It also feels good.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I believe stretching after your last set in the gym helps in growth and recovery.  Stretching helps to stretch the fascia that covers your muscles and allows them to grow bigger in a shorter amount of time.  It also feels good.
View Quote

Stretching AFTER the LAST set? I never heard of that.
Guess you learn something new all the time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm no expert, but I know one.[b]REALLY![/b][:D].He has told me stretching BEFORE @10min total body....DURING(between sets) ...... and AFTER@10min total body [b] IS OPTIMUM!!! [/b] This from a MD whose also a CertifStrengCondSpec(cscs).
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]

As said above, stretching is not that complicated.

Start your workout with a 5-10 min. full baody warm-up like cycling or fast walking.

Then stretch from head to toe, hold each stretch (NO bouncing) for 10-15 seconds.  

Workout, continually stretching the body part you are working in between sets.

After workout, repeat full body stretch but hold for 20-30 seconds

That's my routine.

As for specific stretches and how-to, look up the Army PT manual online.  It has pics and explanations.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top