Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2003 10:56:03 PM EDT
OK, as we get older our metabolism changes, hormonal excretion/levels diminish and we usually slow down a bit, and gravity starts rearing its ugly head more obviously(sag). This is the rule not the exception. My over 45 workout is targeted to, IMO address these issues. This is my general workout, every time starting w/15-20min cardio to warm up, or to a good sweat anyway. Then I hit the weights, 3 or 4 sets, 8/10reps, 1 exercise, to failure, per muscle group I'm targeting (legs,back,chest,etc) varing the exercises a little every few months. Abbs in one form or another to exhaustion 5 time's a week because this is a trouble area as we get older(males). A couple days a week I get to push the envelope and do some INTENSE supersets, if I'm up to it. IT SUCKS TO GET OLD. Anyone else have a "LONG TERM" plan....ie to be still at it till your in a wheelchair or dead? I'm interested in your plan...........
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone else have a "LONG TERM" plan....ie to be still at it till your in a wheelchair or dead?
View Quote

Yep, me.

I'm interested in your plan...........
View Quote

Well, I'm only 30, so aging hasn't really been a problem for me yet.  My joints are starting to bother me though, so other problems may not be far off.  I think my long term plan may involve hormone replacement therapy.  The more I read about it, the more I like that idea.

Hopefully EdAvilaSr will reply.  I think he found the fountain of youth.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:34:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I've said it before, and I'll say it again,

"MUSCLE COMES AND GOES, BUT YOU WANT YOUR JOINTS TO LAST FOREVER"

What I mean is to discipline yourself to use a much lighter weight in your routines. Your joints will last longer than some 9 to 5 powerlifter on an ego trip(me!).

Also, work on flexibility and range of motion.

Make a significant portion of your workout cardio-intensive.

Since you ARE getting older (no flame intended)
make the dietary changes necessary to get maturity-onset diabetes at bay.

Metalstorm has spoken! You WILL obey.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:48:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

"MUSCLE COMES AND GOES, BUT YOU WANT YOUR JOINTS TO LAST FOREVER"
View Quote

I'll agree with this.

What I mean is to discipline yourself to use a much lighter weight in your routines. Your joints will last longer than some 9 to 5 powerlifter on an ego trip(me!).
View Quote

Yeah, I'm starting to do this now.  No more 1RM, that's for sure.  I've also quit doing barbell exercises because dumbells seem to be much better on my rotator cuff.

View Quote

Hmmm... haven't really thought about that.  Any suggestions?

Make a significant portion of your workout cardio-intensive.
View Quote

Doing cardio 6 days a week in the morning.  Nothing too strenuous, just elevate my heart rate to about 70% for 30 min.

View Quote

None taken.  I'm not getting older.  You must be talking to bolt [:)]

make the dietary changes necessary to get maturity-onset diabetes at bay.
View Quote

My diet is pretty good now.  No refined sugars, usually only good complex carbs, good fats, lots of protein, and simple carbs before and after workouts.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:58:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Although this thread is concerned with the PHYSICAL aspects of aging, we should not neglect the MENTAL side of it either.

Everyday challenge yourself mentally, spiritually, and socially.

I'll you grasshoppers decide how to go about it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:55:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"MUSCLE COMES AND GOES, BUT YOU WANT YOUR JOINTS TO LAST FOREVER
View Quote
Wise beyond your years son![;)]

Yeah, I'm starting to do this now.  No more 1RM, that's for sure.  I've also quit doing barbell exercises because dumbells seem to be much better on my rotator cuff.
I got a buddy from days ago, he's had BOTH operated on because of lifting
View Quote

View Quote
This is now a prime element of my workouts.
Hmmm... haven't really thought about that.  Any suggestions?
View Quote
There are many streching only workouts out there, they'll strech the muscles at the ends therefore making them larger in the long run and giving you more flexiability. I WAS much to tight (musclebound?) in my 20's'n 30's.

BOLT-->
Some days I can get in a decent workout w/cardio and a TOTAL body streching regieme
View Quote

Doing cardio 6 days a week in the morning.  Nothing too strenuous, just elevate my heart rate to about 70% for 30 min.

View Quote

None taken.  I'm not getting older.  You must be talking to bolt [:)]
View Quote
[;)] YOUNGIN'S!!!!!!!
REMEMBER......cardiovascular disease is the NATIONS #1 killer (or so I'm told)....your heart is a muscle too [;)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top