Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2003 9:58:48 AM EDT
I was doing curls but with the board supporting my uppper arms? that feels like it works the lower arms.

should I just do normal curls with a curl bar for upper?

or should I do dumbell curls?

thanks,
greg
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I do a lot of seated, dumbbell curls.
They seem to work for me.

The idea behind the exercise you describe is to ISOLATE the biceps, making them perform the lift without benefit of other muscles.

Yes, flexor muscles of the forearms are working to keep the wrist straight.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Make sure you're not flexing your wrist during the movement.  

You want to isolate your bicep and use your hand/foremarm to just hold the weight.

Try to squeeze at the top also.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#3]
To build the UPPER arm, don't ignore the TRICEPS. There are many exercises for this muscle, the best is probably the bench press.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
A methoed you might try is 'squeezing' like MP906 said, and "flexing" and holdig the bi at the contraction of the exercise. Like you'll rip it out of the skin!! That and diffrent grips on a easycurl bar, supered w/dumbell curls.etc. Metalstorm indicated your upper arm is about 2/3 tri, 1/3 bi....so the tri is a much larger upper arm muscle to develope.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#5]
can I have my thumbs up when I do the dumbell curls or do my palms have to be up?

also I have seen people do curls but with their knuckles up?? whats that for?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
can I have my thumbs up when I do the dumbell curls or do my palms have to be up?

also I have seen people do curls but with their knuckles up?? whats that for?
View Quote

The knuckles up technique, or french curls as they are often called, works more the outer bicept, it also hits the back side of your forearms if they are not that strong.

I mix it up every time I go into the gym. Varying the position of your wrist will work the musscle in different ways.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top