Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2003 2:44:06 PM EDT
Okay,

I believe I have both rotator cuffs torn to various degrees. Have not had surgery yet. Xrays don't show squat. Haven't gotten an MRI yet.

Symptoms:

Can't sleep on either side, have to sleep on back or stomach.

Aching pain almost all of the time.

Can't hold my arm above my head for more than 30 seconds with out pain. Even changing a light bulb.

Does it sound like surgery is needed? What's involved? Recovery time? Should I get one shoulder done at a time or both?

Thanks all.

Matt
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I can relate to this, that's for sure.  X-rays will typically not show rotator cuff injuries, you need an MRI for that.  Have you had any traumatic injuries to your shoulders?  If not, I'd try this before I even considered surgery.

Take 2 grams Glucosamine per day (1g in morning, 1g before bed)
Drink at least 1 gallon of water every day
Do [url=http://familydoctor.org/handouts/265.html]Rotator Cuff Exercises[/url] 4 times a week.  I'd also add upright barbell rows and front and side delt raises to this routine.  Make sure to ice your shoulders for at least 15-20 min after you do these exercises.  A frozen bag of peas works well for this.
If you lift weights, avoid military press and ALL behind the head exercises.

The glucosamine takes about 2-3 weeks to start working and you won't see much benifit from the exercises before then either.  Do the above for one month and see how you feel.  It's helped me a lot.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:17:33 AM EDT
[#2]
There are several things you could have, including bursitis.

Do NOT do any form of exercise until you have been examined by a DOCTOR!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do NOT do any form of exercise until you have been examined by a DOCTOR!
View Quote

I disagree, but I'll only make a trip to the doctors office as a last resort.  I'd much prefer to educate myself first and use doctors visits for additional information that I can't get on my own.  bulldog1967, there are thousands of people on the internet complaining of the exact same symptoms you are.  I know because I've spent considerable time reading about this.  Do a search and find out what doctors are recommending to other people.  From what I've read, if your pain is not due to a traumatic injury, odds are it's not a tear.  If this pain came on gradually, it's probably tendonitis and an MRI won't show anything either.  In any event, whatever you decide please post your results.  Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top