Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2003 4:21:55 AM EDT
Hey guys...I did a good one to my arm last night.  Being as I've always been a pretty durable guy, my injuries have been few and far between.  So this is a new one on me.  Anyone know what might have happened?

I was at my martial arts class and one guy was pulling me down.  I was going to land on my head, so I put our my arm to land on my elbow and roll off it that way.  Well, I guess I wasn't lined up properly when I hit the ground because I screwed up my shoulder.

Last night I still could move my shoulder in all directions and it hurt a little bit but this morning...holy shit!  If I try to raise my arm up over my head I get a bad ass pain right where my deltoid attaches to my humerous.  So I'm hoping it's just swelled up.  I just popped a couple advil and let's hope that helps.  Meantime anyone know what may have happened??

Another guy in my martial arts class had a similar injury, but he had actually torn his tendon right off the bone.  They had to cut his shoulder open and put a couple screws in his arm and tie the tendon to those screws for the tendon to reattach itself.  Nasty stuff.

Play safe!!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Had a similar injury myself (from similar training) about a year ago, turned out to be a mild (thankfully) rotator cuff injury. Lay off of it for a a few days, remember that Advil is your friend and see a doctor ASAP if it continues after that. Real easy to reinjure if it's the r.c. - trust me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup...I have been eating Advil all day...1 every 4 or 5 hours and now I have the full range of motion back with only a little pain, so it appears that it's not a permanent injury.  I'm going to go easy on it for a few days and let it heal up.  No sense in aggravating it.

Most of the people I know who have been doing this sort of thing longer than I all say the same thing: "If you get injured let it heal [b]completely[/b] before stressing your body again, or you will just have the injury that much longer."  I hope to be back to 100% within a week or so.  We'll see.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
See a doctor.

If you won't, for some bizarre reason:
RICE
Maintain that range of motion.

IMHO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top