Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 7:52:16 PM EDT
I have a lot of weight to loose; I am pretty clear as to what to eat in the afternoon and night, But what about breakfast?

A lot of things I see about the Atkins diet looks like it excludes just about everything I define as "breakfast"...ceral, bread (carbs?), fruits and juices (sugars?), etc.

Man, I need something in the morning or I feel like hell...any suggestions, please?

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Storm, I do not know your situation or anything.

I am 44 6'-3" and in up till March weighted 290lbs. I did not always weight that much. But a lot of things piled up on me along with alot of pizza (thanks for the line John Candy).

Plus last year on July 3rd, I quit chewing tobacco. So I needed something to put in my mouth, which didn't help my weight.

Well, I started chewing on sunflower seeds during the day. And for my meals I eat 2 to 3 beef saugages a day.

Yes I spurge every now and then. But since March I have lost 25lbs. Tonight I weighted myself and I was at 265.

I put the scales in front of the mirror in the bathroom and that helps gives me the will power to keep going. I try not to snack at night.

As I said. This is me. So I'm not saying it's going to work for you. I'm just showing that there are other fat people out here to that are toughing it out.

Find something that works for you bro and do it.

Good luck.

ED
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:08:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Bananas, 2 or 3 in the begining. Then "trim" it down two 1. At your age (over 35?) and weight they help you crap too.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#3]
StormSurge,

I've been eating 3 eggs with 2 yolks removed (scrambled) and either Raisin Bran with skim milk or wheat toast with a no fat butter spray. "Egg Beaters" are good too. I've been on the Body for Life program for 10 1/2 weeks now, and I would highly recommend it. I'm never hungry and I'm just about at my fat loss goal. I've lost 2 1/2" off of my waist since I've started. My strength has increased quite a bit too. I'm a real hard sell when it comes to different types of "getting in shape programs", but this one has worked for me. You can find out more info here [url]www.bodyforlife.com[/url] Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are doing a ketogenic diet just suck it up and eat your sausage, bacon and eggs in the morning.  If you are going to eat any grains or milk in the morning just go to another diet all together.  Ketogenic diets are not fun but nothing works better to cut bodyfat.  Its the diet that makes you feel like crap but you adjust in about 2 weeks.  Just push through it.  Remeber to carb up once a week or you will go into acidosis.  I have never read an Atkins book but have been doing keto diets long before his book came out.  Does he reccomend carb ups?  Are you urinating on keto sticks throughout the day?  When do you carb up?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#5]
i reccomend the turkey sausage, and the turkey bacon too (although its more chewy).
ive tried the egg beaters and didnt like it, ZONE diet bars are pretty good, so they are good to snack on.
a weeks worth of oatmeal can be cooked up pre-packaged and taken to work, along with some canned fruit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:25:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a big proponant of Grape Nuts and Banana.  I don't buy into the complete philosophy of cutting out carbs all together.  If you're going to need carbs, it's going to be w/ breakfast.  But, if your trying to stear clear of carbs (I just don't get it) you might want to check out Morning Star Farms breakfast sausage (it's actually vegitarian).  Low fat, 1/2 way decent taste and pretty healthy as far as breakfast goes.  Fruit is also a great way to start the day.  Yogurt could be an option too.  I wouldn't worry about the 30-40 grams of carbs in a bowl of cereal in the morning.  As long as you're fairly active and sticking to a fairly low carb/low fat diet, you're gonna drop weight w/ ease.  Trust me, I've lost 40lbs that way!!!  And I can still fit in one or two "bad" meals a week (i.e. pizza, burgers, brats, and enough beer to make me drunk.)  STAY ACTIVE!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm a big proponant of Grape Nuts and Banana.
View Quote

I remember quite a few years ago (20-25) this old fart that ate Grape Nuts none stop. Went on T.V. about it.

Guy died eating them. I quit eating them then. Of course he was like 90.

ED
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi Storm,
I've done all the diets and after three and a half years I've come to this conclusion.  Screw diets if you mean restriction of the calories you intake.  Just eat a low fat diet that is low in sugar and do cardio and lift weights.  That's it.  I am a little under six feet and started at 234.  I got down to 162 by low carbing and then restricting my calories after I was sick of low carbing.  What I realized though was it wasn't about losing weight, it's about losing fat.  I'm GAINING weight now as I work out.  I'm gaining muscle.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the ad-vice, guys! Lottsa info there...and I need it! I've got a LOT of weight to loose...I mean A LOT...how much? Let's just say I want to reduce my current weight BY HALF...a long term commitment, yes, but I'm gonna do it!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a big proponant of Grape Nuts and Banana.
View Quote

I remember quite a few years ago (20-25) this old fart that ate Grape Nuts none stop. Went on T.V. about it.

Guy died eating them. I quit eating them then. Of course he was like 90.

ED
View Quote

He probably choked on them.  I might quit eating them based on priciple though.  They're made of niether grapes nor nuts...WTF is up w/ the name then?  They do taste good though!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the ad-vice, guys! Lottsa info there...and I need it! I've got a LOT of weight to loose...I mean A LOT...how much? Let's just say I want to reduce my current weight BY HALF...a long term commitment, yes, but I'm gonna do it!
View Quote

If you are serious about losing that much weght, I recomend taking a serious look at Atkins.

Get the book, read it, understand the science behind it, follow the diet, and exercise!

Even if you don't believe its healthy for long term, being seriously overweight is worse!

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have read any of my past post concerning a diet, I follow Sugar Busters. It is a well balanced plan.The weight you are talking about losing is more of a life style change than a diet.I started my life style change about 6 weeks ago. For me it is a matter of longer life or ealier death.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a lot of weight to loose; I am pretty clear as to what to eat in the afternoon and night, But what about breakfast?

A lot of things I see about the Atkins diet looks like it excludes just about everything I define as "breakfast"...ceral, bread (carbs?), fruits and juices (sugars?), etc.

Man, I need something in the morning or I feel like hell...any suggestions, please?

View Quote

I lost weight by eating a big bowl of soup for
lunch, because it's very filling and suppresses
your apetite but it's low in calories, and I
also did a lot of late evening running. I eat a
Vietnamese beef soup called "Pho" pronounced
"Fa", it has bits of meat and some rice noodles mixed in. I drink coffee and maybe a few cookies to suppress my late nite appetite.
I recommend you eat a nice breakfast because
then you have the rest of the day to burn it off, eat whatever you want in the morning.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a jar of "Greens+" green drink powder and drink it 3 or 4 times a day, especially in the AM. The flavor is fine and will give you both an energy boost and help reduce the acidity in your system, and is a good source of natural vites and minerals.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I have started my program...the food reduction part...and got a nasty summer cold, so I can't excersize at all, dammit!

Thanks for all your advice. I am sure the key to success will be to monitor how each diet/excersize item actually works, then modify or change each as the effort continues...
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Storm, good luck.

Just watch those snacks man. I'm still at 265. Hit 260 a couple of times but have not been feeling well this past month.

Good Luck.

ED
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:15:03 AM EDT
[#17]
The medical field (which i am in) discourages the Atkin's diet.  Too much fat intake which may drop weight but will cause fatty plaques in arteries.  The human body is designed to run on glucose (sugars/carbs).

BUT.  Here is what i did for breakfast to cut my fat.  Note that i'm a vegetarian by nature so bear with me.

I went to making omelettes with egg-white products (i buy the generic... no fat, no carb, its raw protein) and i scramble it in with some soy-rizo (chorizo... but soy) to add some more flavour.  Also use some veggies (spinach in small amounts, onion, pepper, jalapeno).  Make a 2-3 egg equivalent omelette.  Side of fresh fruit (apple, orange, banana, strawberries, etc...).  

Its rather low in calories and fat.  Adds a small amount of carbs and a lot of protein.  Soy products for meat replacement should be a serious consideration if you want to drop weight.  Soy diets also bind cholesterol lowering your VLDL and LDL cholesterol.  

Also, one GREAT thing i did.  Mind you i'm 24 and get made fun of a lot for this.  Metamucil.  It also lowers cholesterol and keeps you regular.  

Lastly... FIBER FIBER FIBER.  Prevents colon cancer and helps with all kinds of other problems.  I eat 1/2 cup of Fiber-1 cereal per day with soymilk and a banana.. covers almost 60% of your required fiber in one bowl.

Fad diets dont work, hands down.  Everything in moderation.  American diet is too high in meat and fat which leads to early heart disease, so be careful.  You may be thin now... but when your kidneys fail... dont say i didnt tell you so ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top