Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 8:25:11 AM EDT
Looking for any reviews of the either fan bikes like the Assult or Xebex. Just looking to replace my broken elliptical and seeing if these might be a better workout.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a used Airdyne for $350 rather than the Xebex or Assault.  The Xebex has no support network that I could find other than the MFG itself.  The company may be just fine but will they be around inb 5 or 10 years?  KInd of put me off
I was ready to buy the Assault but I refused to pay msrp and missed an amazon sale by a few days.  I even called Amazon to see if I could buy one at the sale price but no go.  I think the Amazon sale was $600 or something.
The Airdyne is built solid and has metal fins that don't flex.  I'm glad I bought it and really don't care that had I looked harder probably could have paid less for it.

If you are set on the Xebex or Assault, I would buy the Assault.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think a bike (even one with arms) is going to have as much calorie burning potential as an elliptical. But I also find upright exercise bikes to be uncomfortable so I am a little biased. On the elliptical I can get my HR up to 180 and keep it there as long as I can stand to do so.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Never used a xebex, but I've spent a decent amount of time on assault bikes.  They are the worst kind of torture.  I love them and hate them at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think a bike (even one with arms) is going to have as much calorie burning potential as an elliptical. But I also find upright exercise bikes to be uncomfortable so I am a little biased. On the elliptical I can get my HR up to 180 and keep it there as long as I can stand to do so.
View Quote

You know how I know you've never been on an assault bike?  An elliptical doesn't come anywhere close to the hate that the assault bike brings.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You know how I know you've never been on an assault bike?  An elliptical doesn't come anywhere close to the hate that the assault bike brings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.^^

I'd take any of the Airdyne/fan bike variants over an elliptical for calorie burning potential any day of the week. To be honest, an elliptical would be somewhere near the bottom of my list, well below rowers, drag sleds, and hill sprints. They're great for old folks, though...and anyone looking to read a book while "exercising".
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
This just cemented my thoughts that it would be a great workout. Killing calories is number 1 not reading.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Haha!

Buying a cheap Craigslist Airdyne and doing tabatas is the most self hating thing you can do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I would look at other fan bikes as well. These just seem to be the best.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.^^

I'd take any of the Airdyne/fan bike variants over an elliptical for calorie burning potential any day of the week. To be honest, an elliptical would be somewhere near the bottom of my list, well below rowers, drag sleds, and hill sprints. They're great for old folks, though...and anyone looking to read a book while "exercising".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.^^

Oh please. You can't read a book while your arms are on the bars. Maybe you're thinking of a machine that doesn't have the arms? If I can pin my HR at 180+, that means I'm pretty much maxing out my ability to do work.
Sure, old  or lazy people do old or lazy stuff. I've seen lazy people on the stairmaster before. Doesn't mean it isn't good exercise when done with intensity.

I've seen people walking on the treadmill at 3 mph reading a book, or people running at 12 mph on a grade. Completely different.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh please. You can't read a book while your arms are on the bars. Maybe you're thinking of a machine that doesn't have the arms? If I can pin my HR at 180+, that means I'm pretty much maxing out my ability to do work.
Sure, old  or lazy people do old or lazy stuff. I've seen lazy people on the stairmaster before. Doesn't mean it isn't good exercise when done with intensity.

I've seen people walking on the treadmill at 3 mph reading a book, or people running at 12 mph on a grade. Completely different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.^^

And then you see incredibly fit monsters leaning over on the airdyne so their puke doesn't blow up back on them.  The harder you go the harder it is to push because you're pushing air with that big fan.  It's not even close to an elliptical.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Without being too argumentative, your HR is completely irrelevant. There are out-of-shape and/or overweight people who could reach similar numbers climbing a flight of stairs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Without being too argumentative, your HR is completely irrelevant. There are out-of-shape and/or overweight people who could reach similar numbers climbing a flight of stairs.
View Quote

"completely irrelevant" is vastly overstated. I am neither overweight nor out of shape.
See, there's this thing called resistance. You can increase it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My gym had some Airdynes (sp?) then they were replaced with Assault bikes.  I despise the assault bikes now.  With that being said, it is a good workout.  Would pick that over the airdyne.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"completely irrelevant" is vastly overstated. I am neither overweight nor out of shape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are confusing YOUR level of conditioning with a machine's effectiveness at burning calories. The two are somewhat related, but not the same thing.

Look at the elliptical's ranking versus the other equipment on this list...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10-best-and-worst-cardio-machines.html

I had a very nice Precor elliptical but it simply couldn't hold a candle to an Airdyne. I now have a rower and two spin bikes, and I wouldn't trade any of them for an elliptical.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Assault bikes are basically torture devices......but they work.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Get an air dyne off of craigslist

Get 4 of them and still be ahead of one assault bike

And they are the worst.

Worse then anything else.  Even worse than rowing machines. They are relentless and will make a rock shed tears.

I hate them.

But they're one of the most conditioning-building things out there.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Yea I figured they would give you a heck of a workout.  

You are probably right you could break and replace several airdyne over a Assult bike.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Airdynes may not be as sturdy as the Xebex or Assault bikes, but parts availability is 1000x better. Places like Sportsmith stock tons of parts to fix/refurb them without having to go thru Schwinn.

http://www.sportsmith.net/productsearch.aspx?dsNav=Rpp:48,Ro:0,N:12187&dsDimSearch=Dxp:5
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I once spent 30 minutes on an assault bike.  It was hell.  It was a shockingly low number of cals at the pace I had to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top