Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2003 7:37:37 PM EDT
Just a vent to keep my sanity. I've been good about avoiding most junk & sugars... until last week. Wife got some sort of laryngitis bug and her throat was killing her... so we bought some ice cream. And, when we polished off the half-gallon in two days, we bought another one. [banghead]

I got rid of the last of it (yeah, by eating it) last night and have been "good" all day. Ran my 3 miles this morning, did my arms & abs routine this afternoon, had some stir-fry steak with only a little rice for dinner about two hours ago. And now I'm going NUTS for some damned junk food!!!

And some people don't think sugar's addictive? I've been guzzling water to try to distract my gut but this is driving me nuts. Been through it before and I know it'll pass if I can hold out for a day or two but it's gonna be a lllooooong couple of days.

Bah!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, I know the feeling...  I used to be a fatass, but about two years ago decided enough was enough.  For about 18 months, I was completely fine, could walk right past any sort of junk food without a second thought - dropped at least 150lbs.  I don't recall it really being a problem when I initially started changing my lifestyle and I pretty much went cold turkey (pretty much literally ;) ) from the getgo.  I thought people who used claimed "addiction" to food were just using it as an excuse.   After all, if someone like me could change and "walk away", anyone could!

Yeah right - then last thanksgiving hit.  For the first time in 18 months, I indulged just a little bit.   Figured since I went from spinning the scale to around 8% body fat, I deserved a bit of a treat.  Turned out that was a mistake, as it sort of "lit the fire" again.  Since then, it seems like I am perpetually fighting the cravings.  Sometimes it gets better, sometimes worse.  Sometimes I give in, sometimes I can fight it.

If this isn't an addiction, I don't know what is.  Throat gets all scratchy, get this weird salty/buttery taste in my mount, I get all fidgety and irratable, mind starts racing.   I guess that's what I get for being an unbeliever...  I'm up about 15 lbs from the time this started now - some of it is muscle gain, but not all...  

Oh well, wish me luck.

Rocko
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Carbohydrates are addictive.  You go into withdrawls if you stay away from them.
AVOID THEM, and soon your cravings will cease - go on a low-carb diet like Atkins' diet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Just hang in there. It is hard, but if you stick with it the rewards will out weigh the cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top