BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2014 3:16:01 PM EDT
looking for a heavy bag...would like to keep it below $150.00

suggestions??
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Canvas Everlast 70# - cheap ($50), durable, and I like the feel of the canvas over leather or vinyl.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a cheap heavy bag... 80lb...  I've abused my cheap leather everlast bag for 8 years... still looks new... was like $80 at Sam's.

Unless it's for commercial use, I doubt you'll ever wear one out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I spent a little more and got the ringside heavy bag.  It has been used by 2-3 people 2-3 times a week for 8 years and is still good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 3:22:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Too high tech/expensive...

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I got mine at Academy Sports.  The floor models were half off, $54.00 for a 100lb Everlast.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Too fancy.

Buy a canvas Everlast, seriously.  Mines well over 20 years old and has been abused over the years by me.  Still looking good.

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Canvas is good, but I like heavier bags and that Dick's link didn't have them in 100lbs.  Go with this one..

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3994198&cp=4406646.4413986.4417842.4417845
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#9]
What do you guys think about some options that are more compact or mobile?
I would love a heavy bag but I live in an apartment, so I would need something that has a hanger with it I guess?
I like (the idea of) the bags that you fill with water, but I don't know if it's a realistic solution for me.

What would be really nice is a bag with a stand that could double as a chin-up / dip stand, but that's probably asking too much!
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you guys think about some options that are more compact or mobile?
I would love a heavy bag but I live in an apartment, so I would need something that has a hanger with it I guess?
I like (the idea of) the bags that you fill with water, but I don't know if it's a realistic solution for me.

What would be really nice is a bag with a stand that could double as a chin-up / dip stand, but that's probably asking too much!
View Quote

What type of training are you doing?  If it's simple boxing, I believe you could find options for what you're looking for.  Anything involving kicking is another story.  When the bag is hanging from a stand, you can't really move around the bag well and have to be conscious of where you're kicking.  I have a BOB which I bought when I lived in an apartment and it worked out fine.

I've never seen a water filled bag other than online, so I can't speak for how much they weigh or feel.

Here's a website I like which has ideas for creating your all in one equipment.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/freestandingbags.html

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2011/02/08/inexpensive-speed-bag-platform/
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I would go with a canvas bag in the 80# range, maybe with an anchor spot on the bottom if you can find it.

I would be wary of 100# bags in general if you are going to do any kicks.  I had an Everlast C3 Foam-wrapped 100# heavy bag.  I busted the bottoms out of two of them.  The first I attributed to my bungie anchor (they have anchor points on the bottom) putting too much stress on it.  So I didn't bungee the second one and the bottom blew out of that one too.  If you are going to want to practice "kickboxing" then get a taller bag designed for that.  I think the pure boxing heavy bags just aren't designed to take impact to the lower part.

I had an old 70# canvas everlast one and, in addition to knocking it all over the place cause it was lighter, I eventually beat it to death (13 years of punching and kicking it several times a week).  

Full disclosure:  I'm about 6' and 245 lbs. I've been training various things for almost 14 years now and I can hit pretty hard.  I also use my bags for practicing Thai-style kicks full power.  Everlast replaced my bag with the taller Muay Thai bag (which I can't seem to find on their website) at my request.  It moves more than I hoped, but it doesn't show any signs of busting after a few months, so I'll take what I can get.

Regards,
jlk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top