Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 6:18:22 PM EDT
My buddy VTHOKIESHOOTER said I should start a thread here as some of you guys know your stuff.

Currently I am 6ft and 255lbs. I'm a fatty.

I started power lifting according to Mark Rippetoes "Starting Strength" in early December, with VTHOKIESHOOTER as my guide/gym partner. So far I love it. I'm getting stronger by the day, and I feel great.

My concern is I would like to cut weight. How do I go about doing that while still getting stronger? What do I need to avoid and what do I need to embrace? What's worked for some of you guys?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd look seriously at a lowish carb paleo style diet. Its what I follow during a lean out period and it works pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:50:51 AM EDT
[#2]
yep
high fat, low carb and everything falls into place
You feel way better, you aren't hungry and the weight just falls off
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:27:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Just to chime in, Leslie and I are both in agreement that you've lost fat. You may weigh the same, but you are most certainly leaning out, albeit a bit slower than you'd like.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just to chime in, Leslie and I are both in agreement that you've lost fat. You may weigh the same, but you are most certainly leaning out, albeit a bit slower than you'd like.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with that. Takes time to do it right.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#5]
The problem that I see evolving in Matt's case is his ability to continue his gains under the bar without also having to add more body fat.  I'm amazed at how well darktide and Hank are at cutting fat.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]
A new lifter can usually put in muscle and lose fat for quite a while. Gains will be slower but still very feasible.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I started out at 25+% body fat.  I made new lifter gains while losing fat early on and got down to about 18-20%.  Made a push last year to get low on bf and managed to get about 13% before bulking again.  Currently at about 15% and cutting, hoping to go 10% or below if at all possible for the Summer.

One thing I noticed is that about 18% seemed to be the cutoff, at least for me, on being able to make gains while losing fat.  Below that and it was maintaining strength at best.

My diet has mainly been protein and fats, filling in carbs to hit my daily intake goals.  Though I have gotten into upping the carbs the night before lifting.  Also, I use intermittent fasting and work out fasted.  Mainly because it has been the best approach to curbing my appetite.  

P.S.  I've done very little cardio, because cardio sucks.  The only thing I do is hiit based heavy bag work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top