Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2002 5:14:07 AM EDT
Ok, so as a first step...

I am looking for a treadmill to increase my activity.  What features should I look for?  What should I avoid?  Where should I shop?  "Dicks" ok?  

Thanks in advance!
Scott
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello!

Every spring or so, Consumer Reports does an analysis of health equipment.  I would recommend going to your local library to check out the following issues as they will have details on popular models and a "primer" on what to look for.  

Feb. 1999 recommended treadmills:
Image 10.6Q
Health Rider Soft Strider EX
Life Fitness TR-4000

Feb 2000 recommended treadmills:
Health Rider S400
Reebok ACD4 (folds for storage)
Tunturi 5660

Mar. 2002 recommended treadmills:
Life Fitness T3 or T3i
Reebok ACD4 (folds for storage)
Precor M9.33 or M9.35
Star Trac TR901
Image 10.6QL

Once again, go to the library to check out the full details for each model.  They also have a section on whether to buy used and how.  I would recommend browsing "Play it Again Sports" (used sports shop) until you find a model that suits you.

However, I would also recommend that you begin by walking around the block before buying a treadmill.  Treadmills have the highest usage rate among purchasers after a year (~55%) but that is 45% who don't use what is a very expensive machine.  Also, remember that you need to add 4% to the grade to compensate that you are stationary (and not moving forward).  4% equals a flat road and less than 4% is the same a walking/running downhill.

Finally, I would check the weight rating on these if you plan to practice carrying a pack or ruck on the machine.  Some have weight limits of 250 lbs or less.

HTH,
James

Link Posted: 11/4/2002 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello!

Every spring or so, Consumer Reports does an analysis of health equipment.  I would recommend going to your local library to check out the following issues as they will have details on popular models and a "primer" on what to look for.  
View Quote

Thanks for the advice!  and especially:

Finally, I would check the weight rating on these if you plan to practice carrying a pack or ruck on the machine.  Some have weight limits of 250 lbs or less.
View Quote

I didn't even think of that, but it's a great suggestion!

Thanks again,
Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top