Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2013 9:26:10 AM EDT
I weighed myself 4 weeks ago and I weighed 247. I'm 28 5'11. As of today I weighed 236. I have been going to the gym the last month. I only can work out 4, days a week, Sun-Wed. That leaves Thursday Friday and Saturday with minimal or no workout. I want to cut weight but gain muscle. I know I'm not going to cut weight fast if I'm trying to gain muscle.

Workout routine: 30 mins on elliptical or 15 mins on treadmill at a 10 min a mile pace. I do biceps/triceps and back one day. Shoulders and chest one. Legs on another than the last day I do light weight high reps on biceps, triceps back and shoulder. I switched between free weights and weight machines. I've pretty much looked up all the workouts on YouTube.

Problem: I'm not getting much results from my chest or back. I do dumbbell press straight up, sitting at an angle up and laying down at an angle. I don't bench press yet as I don't feel strong enough to do it. I need some good back exercises to do.

My diet is pretty basic just fruits vegetables and proteins. No breads pastas fried food or soda.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for you bro!!! Keep it up and you will start to see results in no time, back when I used to do P90X a lot there was the saying "Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was your body". Give it time and you will see good progress, it may be slow at times but don't give up!

As for workouts check out this.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have noticed a difference already. Not huge though which is obvious. My arms are bigger my lower back no longer hurts as bad when I run.

What is a good protein powder and pre-workout. I currently use GNC Natural be used it doesn't use sucralose. Per workout I use Ripped fuel from gas stations and it doesn't work great.  A friend told me to use craze but I have been reading all the reviews and people are trying to boycott because of aphetimines in the substance. But I'm sure most energy drinks/supplements have that stuff in then
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I suggest sticking to excercise that work the major muscle groups of your body.
 Chest and Tris: Bench, Shoulder, and Incline Presses
 Back and Bi's: Pull-ups, Chin-ups, and Rows
 Legs: Squat and Deadlift

Doing isolation excercises aren't going to burn enough calories to see rapid weight loss.

Keep at it though! I've been lifting for over 2 years now, and I look a bit bigger, but I mostly gained strength.
It takes time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have noticed a difference already. Not huge though which is obvious. My arms are bigger my lower back no longer hurts as bad when I run.

What is a good protein powder and pre-workout. I currently use GNC Natural be used it doesn't use sucralose. Per workout I use Ripped fuel from gas stations and it doesn't work great.  A friend told me to use craze but I have been reading all the reviews and people are trying to boycott because of aphetimines in the substance. But I'm sure most energy drinks/supplements have that stuff in then
View Quote

Awesome job.

You can easily walk around @ 200-220 lbs with a little bit of work and look good. Don't go too far with the weight loss if you want to bulk up.

Protein and water.

Don't buy shit from a gas station. Period.

I used to use Gold Standard whey protein when GNC has a sale on it. I just buy generic stuff now that I haven't been lifting like I used to.

I sparingly use pre workouts, mostly because I can't sleep and workout in the evenings.

But, here is  thread on preworkouts (it is on the second page of this very sub forum):

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_113/1509097_Preworkouts.html
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Good work and keep it up!

Avoid sugars and carbs like the plague and you should drop weight quickly. Drink lots of water, especially when you feel hungry. Good luck and stick with it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Would it be better to loose weight than build muscle or do both at the same time?
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would it be better to loose weight than build muscle or do both at the same time?
View Quote

Lifting weights is exercise. You burn calories.

You get thin in the kitchen.

Cut your calories, eat plenty of protein, and lift. Throw away your scale.  

There are a few guys that will chime in with better information.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Checkout Intek Evolution Protein http://www.inteknutrition.com/PRODUCTS/PROTEIN%20EVOLUTION/protein.html

I also have used optimum nutrition in the past for protein.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Toss out the scale, eat right (paging paleo guys), lift weights, and do some cardio.  I feel best when I lift three days a week and do a either two cardio days or a one cardio and one crossfit day.  That gives me two off days to rest.

Stronglifts or starting strength are good weight programs.  Cardio, I like to run or bike.

I redefined my goals to build strength over the next three months and then re evaluate my goals.  Prior to this I was focusing more on running.  There is something addicting about lifting weights.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Also remember, if you are working out and lifting you will be gaining weight because you're building muscle, don't let that discourage you at times.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Toss out the scale, eat right (paging paleo guys), lift weights, and do some cardio.  I feel best when I lift three days a week and do a either two cardio days or a one cardio and one crossfit day.  That gives me two off days to rest.

Stronglifts or starting strength are good weight programs.  Cardio, I like to run or bike.

I redefined my goals to build strength over the next three months and then re evaluate my goals.  Prior to this I was focusing more on running.  There is something addicting about lifting weights.
View Quote

I know the scale is the last thing I should be worrying about, but its nice to see some imporvement. I have gone from every morning and every night checking the scale. I now check once a week and my motivation is better for it. I started to do some pushups and dips at home on the "off" days just to do something.

I have a couple of simple goals. I want to be able to do 10 pullups, which I have never been able to do. I want to be able to do 20 pushups, which i have never been able to do. I know most of you can out do that easily, but that is my goals for now. I don't have injuries not allowing me to do it, I just have never had the upper body strength. I thank you all for the motivation and I will post some updates when I can. I should of never let myself get to this point, but we all know how that goes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]
If your scale doesn't have a body fat mode get yourself one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Loss-Monitor-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375318694&sr=8-1&keywords=bmi

The scale just shows weight, which is including Muscle. These show you how much body fat you have so even if you haven't lost any weight, or you gained weight, it will show you that you more than likely gained muscle weight but dropped fat. A guy i workout with has a scale that has this option in it and it is nice to be able to see progress even if the weight stays the same. They work by sending a small current through your body and will measure how much Body Fat you have and calculate it into your BMI.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41m4XJtKQ9L._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Loss-Monitor-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375318694&sr=8-1&keywords=bmi

The scale just shows weight, which is including Muscle. These show you how much body fat you have so even if you haven't lost any weight, or you gained weight, it will show you that you more than likely gained muscle weight but dropped fat. A guy i workout with has a scale that has this option in it and it is nice to be able to see progress even if the weight stays the same. They work by sending a small current through your body and will measure how much Body Fat you have and calculate it into your BMI.
View Quote

those are horribly inaccurate. it's almost not even worth the time, let alone the money to get that thing. If you want to really check your body composition you need to do it in a water bath, or a bod-pod or similar device.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#16]
HIIT cardio on a bike is great for a bigger guy and his joints. Trust me I know.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

those are horribly inaccurate. it's almost not even worth the time, let alone the money to get that thing. If you want to really check your body composition you need to do it in a water bath, or a bod-pod or similar device.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41m4XJtKQ9L._SY300_.jpg

I've heard they've improved and I've used them a few times and they are pretty decent. More accurate than just a "hight/weight" paper mathematical equation without testing anything.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#18]
You can either cut or bulk.......

Pretty tough to do both.  Pick a program, run what you need from it, then switch programs.  Don't combine programs, especially when your just beginning.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a couple of simple goals. I want to be able to do 10 pullups, which I have never been able to do. I want to be able to do 20 pushups, which i have never been able to do. I know most of you can out do that easily, but that is my goals for now. I don't have injuries not allowing me to do it, I just have never had the upper body strength. I thank you all for the motivation and I will post some updates when I can. I should of never let myself get to this point, but we all know how that goes.
View Quote

Look into the "Frequency Method" for pullup and pushup.  The Frequency method is basically you do a bunch of set of pullup during the day six days a week and take one day off..  But the sets need to be easy.  Let say if you go to failure you can do 5 pullup.  So something that would be easy is say 2 pullups.  So your frequency method would look like this (remember do this six days a week)
Week One – 6 sets of 2 reps
Week Two – 7 sets of 2 reps
Week Three – 7 sets of 3 reps
Week Four – 8 sets of 3 reps
Week Five – 8 sets of 4 reps
Week Six – 9 sets of 4 reps
Week Seven – 9 sets of 5 reps
Week Eight – 10 sets of 5 reps
You can arrange it to do more set or reps as needed.  Just make sure everyweek you increase the number or reps or sets.  You will do these sets spread throughout the day so that none of them interfer with recovery from your regular activities.  If you wanted to work on both pullup and pushup at the same time you could do this
Monday - Frequency Method Pullups
Tuesday - Frequency Method pushup
Wednesday -Frequency Method Pullups
Thursday - Frequency Method pushup
Friday - Frequency Method Pullups
Saturday - Frequency Method pushup
Sunday - Frequency Method Pullups

Link Posted: 8/2/2013 1:47:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're not going to notice much in 4 weeks. I've been lifting for the better part of 8 months now and honestly you can't tell it by looking at me.

View Quote

Nope....I've been working out diligently for the past 4 months, and really, its only now that I myself am noticing it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 1:57:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I was a touch over 260 a couple years ago.

As of yesterday morning, 191.

Still a fair bit of work to do, but it's getting there.

I get exercise at work (diver, safety guy) and I completely cut out sodas for over a year. I now drink one on occasion, which is ok since the multiple daily habit is broken. all things in moderation and all that.

Good job so far, keep it up!
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 5:58:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was a touch over 260 a couple years ago.

As of yesterday morning, 191.

Still a fair bit of work to do, but it's getting there.

I get exercise at work (diver, safety guy) and I completely cut out sodas for over a year. I now drink one on occasion, which is ok since the multiple daily habit is broken. all things in moderation and all that.

Good job so far, keep it up!
View Quote

Nice....good job getting to where you are.
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Im slowly losing the weight myself. Im down to 308 from 336 in the last few months. When im at home I have been biking and kayaking alot and eating better. When im at work on the tug their isnt as much to do. I have been using the 8lb weights that are on the back of the boat to do some curls and straight out side lifts just to do something and last night I did some sit ups. Now I havent done sit ups in a long time but I did 35 last night and tonight when I tried to do some I only got to 6 before exhaustion set in and I couldnt do anymore. Is that normal? I feel the burn and I want to work on my gut some since I have the time. I guess ill try to go every other day on the sit ups and do the little weights every night but what else can I do with out a machine? We dont have much to work with on here as far as exercise, just the small 8lb weights and some towing shackles. My knees cant take to much either, to many years of jumping around on steel decks and stuff.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Im slowly losing the weight myself. Im down to 308 from 336 in the last few months. When im at home I have been biking and kayaking alot and eating better. When im at work on the tug their isnt as much to do. I have been using the 8lb weights that are on the back of the boat to do some curls and straight out side lifts just to do something and last night I did some sit ups. Now I havent done sit ups in a long time but I did 35 last night and tonight when I tried to do some I only got to 6 before exhaustion set in and I couldnt do anymore. Is that normal? I feel the burn and I want to work on my gut some since I have the time. I guess ill try to go every other day on the sit ups and do the little weights every night but what else can I do with out a machine? We dont have much to work with on here as far as exercise, just the small 8lb weights and some towing shackles. My knees cant take to much either, to many years of jumping around on steel decks and stuff.
View Quote

You can do burpees, or use those 8lb weights with your sit ups, and add an oblique rotation to your situp. look up kettlebell exercises and see if you can use those weights as a substitue for Kbells. jumping jacks for cardio, body weight squats and lunges. there are tons of exercises you could do.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Woot woot I weighed in at 226 this morning!!! I hit a wall last 2 weeks or so at 230. I really hit the gym this week and even though I'm sore as shit today I feel good!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 8:11:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Woot woot I weighed in at 226 this morning!!! I hit a wall last 2 weeks or so at 230. I really hit the gym this week and even though I'm sore as shit today I feel good!!!
View Quote

Congrats!

What is your goal weight?
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
240 here.

6'1"

Fighting weight was 175

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#29]
For the crossfit guys- Should I just start crossfit?? Or try to get into better shape first than go? Also we have fitbootcamps and stuff here, are thosie anygood. I'm looking for something to go to to switch up working out, to keep me interested...
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#30]
For an update, I officially lost 30 pounds last week. I wieghed myself and I reached 217. I was pumped, unfortunatly I pushed myself a little to hard the day before in the gym and it took me about a week to recover. I only gained 4 pounds since than. I got back in the gym today, and I forgot how much I liked it.. Here is to the next 30...
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#32]
best back exercise are pull ups and heavy bent over rows IMO.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

only problem is I cant do pull ups, cus my back is so damn weak...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use a band or two
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I weighed myself 4 weeks ago and I weighed 247. I'm 28 5'11. As of today I weighed 236. I have been going to the gym the last month. I only can work out 4, days a week, Sun-Wed. That leaves Thursday Friday and Saturday with minimal or no workout. I want to cut weight but gain muscle. I know I'm not going to cut weight fast if I'm trying to gain muscle.

Workout routine: 30 mins on elliptical or 15 mins on treadmill at a 10 min a mile pace. I do biceps/triceps and back one day. Shoulders and chest one. Legs on another than the last day I do light weight high reps on biceps, triceps back and shoulder. I switched between free weights and weight machines. I've pretty much looked up all the workouts on YouTube.

Problem: I'm not getting much results from my chest or back. I do dumbbell press straight up, sitting at an angle up and laying down at an angle. I don't bench press yet as I don't feel strong enough to do it. I need some good back exercises to do.

My diet is pretty basic just fruits vegetables and proteins. No breads pastas fried food or soda.
View Quote
After retiring I gained weight, then I started doing basketball drills every day, a warmup easy dribbling, about 35 minutes stationary drills, then dribble moves attacking the basket, I have lost about 17 lbs in about 5 months

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Use a band or two
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use a band or two

Or jump into the top position and lower yourself with control.  Also dead hangs and God forbid...maybe kip a couple of pull-ups.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top