Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2013 6:40:19 PM EDT
I shave with a disposable blade, a Mach III in my case.

A friend of mine suggested that I should try keeping the blade in baby oil when I'm not actually shaving with it,

on the theory that this will keep the fine edge from developing rust in the air.

So, I've tried it.

At MOST, I get four shaves out of a Mach III blade when I just carefully rinse it out and pat it dry on a soft cloth.

I took a new blade out of the package and after the first shave, dropped the razor into a small jar of baby oil and there

it sits when I'm not shaving with it.

I've had 16 daily shaves with it and it still shaves like a fresh blade.  Hardly any different than a fresh one right out of the package.

I fully expect to get a month out of a blade at this rate.   As compared to three or four days the regular way.

I suggest you try this.   Those blades are not cheap.   You'll enjoy not spending money on new blades so often.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve heard the same about rubbing alcohol.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I’ve heard the same about rubbing alcohol.

Anything that keeps oxygen away from the blade would do the job, but the first few strokes of the alcohol-dipped razor are likely to

be painful if you didn't let it completely evaporate before shaving.

However,  the baby oil will only act as a lubricant and make the shave even smoother.

Definitely, baby oil seems like the better option.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have tried this and can confirm that it does indeed extend blade life significantly.

However, I use canola, mainly because I can't stand to think of all those babies being pressed for their oil.  I have no idea how many babies you have to press to get a pint of baby oil, but I am much more comfortable using the canola instead.

Same principle with either, however.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have tried this and can confirm that it does indeed extend blade life significantly.

However, I use canola, mainly because I can't stand to think of all those babies being pressed for their oil.  I have no idea how many babies you have to press to get a pint of baby oil, but I am much more comfortable using the canola instead.

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Apparently you might try stropping it as well.

This might interest you. It was in the survival forum where people were discussing ways to lengthen the life of thier razors
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/664118_Sharpening_Gillete_3_razor_blade_cartridges__New_DISHCOVERY_today____and_moar___.html
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I think you posted in the wrong forum man

Double edge razors are the way to go anyways!
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Some folks prefer pyramids, magnets, or storing them with a certain compass alignment.  

I just put a new feather blade in my DE handle and rock on for a few cents.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 3:54:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Some folks prefer pyramids, magnets, or storing them with a certain compass alignment.  

None of those things work.

Keeping a piece of steel well oiled so as to keep it from rusting is really not that difficult to comprehend.

This morning I got my 17th shave off that blade.  It was as good as the first shave.

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Few things beat a feather... it's not sharp unless it's feather-sharp.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 6:14:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I've heard the same as well. It's not the stubble that wears down the blade, it's the corrosion. I typically use the same disposable blade for months, but I wear a beard so only use it to remove "neck beard" and clean up around the edges. Don't care about getting too close a shave on the parts I do shave.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This^^

Quoted:

And this^^

I don't use feather blades, though. I just buy the Astra SP's from Amazon.

It's pretty hard to beat 100 DE blades for less than $10 shipped, and they work well in my Muhle R41.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:36:54 AM EDT
[#16]
This is for disposable razor guys anyway.

I have no love for double edged old school razors.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:56:14 AM EDT
[#17]
If you keep you razor upside down it has the same results.  The water stays off the sharp edge of the razor and goes to the back/unsharpened edge.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#18]
3 or 4 days with a Mach III blade? How much money do you spend a year on that? I shave 5 days a week for work and use a cheap disposable 3 blade for literally months at a time before replacing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I got 3 weeks out of the first blade.  I think I can get a month out of the next,  as I sometimes forgot to store the blade in oil

the first time around.

I learned a lot about razor blades by googling "electron microscope razor blade".  Found some interesting pages that showed

what these blades look like when fresh,  used, dirty, and clean.

Some included analysis of the effects of various ways of sharpening a straight razor.  

Turns out that green chrome polish on a leather strop is best.  And you only need to give four strokes on the strop to the

blade, two per side.  Anything past that doesn't yield any additional benefits.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Interesting.

I have a full beard so until recently I only shaved my neck and never thought too much about razors and just used cheap disposables.  I just started shaving my head, though, so I need a better blade to keep from cutting the crap out of myself.  I just signed up for the dollar shave club but I'll have to give this a try.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top