Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2012 2:47:29 PM EDT
Should there be an ARFCOM CrossFit Competition?   And if so, what WoD's should be included?

Think of this as preparation for the CrossFit Games Online Sectionals in February and March.

Poll inbound

EDIT:  The WOD's should be under 20 minutes, be on an AMRAP system, and be something easily filmed and judged.    It should also take into consideration equipment limitations of some.  When coming up with WoD's, think back to the last two year's online sectionals.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't participate but I think it is an awesome idea.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Could be fun, I think there should also be some "for time" workouts as well as max effort lifts though...yes, it makes it a bit harder to judge but it will be much more well rounded.

ETA- you could always stick with some of the classics: a couple girls, maybe one wisely chosen hero and a CFT.        
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
it is not likely that everyone participating would submit honest times/numbers
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

From the OP:

and be something easily filmed and judged.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd love to watch
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd watch.

Hell I'd like to see a pushup or pullup competition in GD with YouTube videos

Not that I'd participate yet. I'm still eating shit and drinking delicious beer

I'm waiting 1 more month before I start up real easy.

ETA: well maybe 2 or more months. I'm more timid mentally then anything but I can hurt myself by not waiting long enough rather then waiting too long...
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Since this is a self defense and fitness forum, I'd be down with a shooting part of the competition.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since this is a self defense and fitness forum, I'd be down with a shooting part of the competition.

Then you sir would need to do the Shootivist
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

From the OP:  

Will there be swimming?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the OP:  

Will there be swimming?

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

From the OP:  

Will there be swimming?

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/423/untitle.JPG

Shame. I might actually watch that event
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the OP:  

Will there be swimming?

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/423/untitle.JPG

Shame. I might actually watch that event

Me too.

WATCH.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Deleted

Woops, thought this was GD
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#14]
But there wouldn't be any "motivational" ass slapping.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Come lift in my garage and there will be.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Come lift in my garage and there will be.  

I'd be careful to define who gets to motivate whom in your garage...
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Are there really that many soccer moms here?

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Don't make me get my wife....

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#19]
We are missing the best part of crossfit.

The women!

So I vote no.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will she be participating in the ass slapping?

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't want to get hit by her
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I do not think, we need to climb the basement stairs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but only after you leave.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like fun! Though variety would be the key most hero WOD's take upwards of 30-40 minutes to complete. Let's make the WOD's under 10 minutes (youtube length). Who are going to be the programmers? Roland for sure. Any other CF coaches out there? I have my level 1 and own my own box. I'd be happy to help.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Sounds like fun! Though variety would be the key most hero WOD's take upwards of 30-40 minutes to complete. Let's make the WOD's under 10 minutes (youtube length). Who are going to be the programmers? Roland for sure. Any other CF coaches out there? I have my level 1 and own my own box. I'd be happy to help.

Sure, I'd help...maybe 2-3 of us can get on google chat sometime and come up with something.

DT is a good shorter hero WOD....of course we could always just come up with something from scratch too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds pretty interesting, I have my CF-L1 too.....anyway.....Subscribed.

EDIT: Im not a big "Hero Wod" person, mainly because IMHO they serve no other purpose than to just beat you down and put you out of commission for a couple of days...I rarely do Hero Wods for this reason....Although I do Murph every Memorial day....but thats about it....Did "Coe" a couple weeks ago...Just dont like how they are "Programmed"...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

EDIT: Im not a big "Hero Wod" person, mainly because IMHO they serve no other purpose than to just beat you down and put you out of commission for a couple of days...I rarely do Hero Wods for this reason....Although I do Murph every Memorial day....but thats about it....Did "Coe" a couple weeks ago...Just dont like how they are "Programmed"...

I agree. They are all pretty much gut checks and nothing more. As I mentioned though, I think DT is a pretty reasonable one, only takes around 12 min or so IIRC.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. They are all pretty much gut checks and nothing more. As I mentioned though, I think DT is a pretty reasonable one, only takes around 12 min or so IIRC.  

I wasnt familiar with DT....just checked it out.....Actually looks alot of fun!

Think I might go in tonight and give it a whirl........Bar work is always fun!

12 DL 155lbs
9   HangPowerCleans 115lbs
6   Push Jerks 115lbs

5 rds for time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep! Just a bar complex basically...

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This could be really cool fellas. What is the next step? We should come up with some parameters as far as equipment, difficulty level of the exercises, maybe a youtube channel we can all upload our videos too or some other website like photo bucket?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This could be really cool fellas. What is the next step? We should come up with some parameters as far as equipment, difficulty level of the exercises, maybe a youtube channel we can all upload our videos too or some other website like photo bucket?

Youtube channel could work...someone (or a couple people) would need to be "judges" to count reps and such from video. Difficulty level...well, CF is CF...if you can't do the movement then you can't do the movement IMO. That being said, if we planned on a workout with say muscle ups in it, you can put them at the very end so those who cannot do them still get a score, and those that can just get a better score.

Equipment is tough too...but IMO if we're going to do a comp that actually means anything then we need to assume people have at least: barbell & rack, pullup bar, and rings. If we try to do a comp without those things then the only thing we accomplish is discovering whose the best at burpees and air squats you know?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Isn't it called the Cola Warrior Challenge?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#33]
F it...

First WOD:  

7 MINUTE BURPEE AMRAP GO!

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Fuck man, I HATE BURPEES!

I've attempted that GI Jane Burpee/pullups WOD a few times... yeah, I said attempted
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I think the only way this would be fun for some and 'competitive' is if we picked WOD's or developed WOD's where everyone can participate.

DT for example, Im not so sure everyone would even be able to DO 155 lbs...

So that would automatically just eliminate certain peeps.

It would almost have to be BW stuff, and like you said, readily available equipment everyone has access to.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Fuck man, I HATE BURPEES!

I've attempted that GI Jane Burpee/pullups WOD a few times... yeah, I said attempted

I hate burpees too, I was only joking .....Anyone who did the Open this year would understand where I was getting at.......that was the first WOD for the open.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I think the only way this would be fun for some and 'competitive' is if we picked WOD's or developed WOD's where everyone can participate.

It would almost have to be BW stuff, and like you said, readily available equipment everyone has access to.

Then it's not a competition at all, and will also still automatically disqualify other people....like those who are actually well rounded and not just awesome at body weight stuff.

I don't care for me- I'm not going to do it (I might hit up one of them) but I'm knee deep in training for regionals right now. My point is though having a Crossfit comp that is body weight only does not result in the fittest person winning, and really isn't even Crossfit.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if someone can't deadlift, hang clean and jerk 155 then they maybe aren't ready to be competing yet.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then it's not a competition at all, and will also still automatically disqualify other people....like those who are actually well rounded and not just awesome at body weight stuff.    

I don't care for me- I'm not going to do it (I might hit up one of them) but I'm knee deep in training for regionals right now. My point is though having a Crossfit comp that is body weight only does not result in the fittest person winning, and really isn't even Crossfit.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if someone can't deadlift, hang clean and jerk 155 then they maybe aren't ready to be competing yet.

point taken....

I will not be dong it either probably....doing a little comp in Indiana Dec. 8th....so my schedule is booked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top