Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2012 11:05:22 AM EDT
Yesterday during deadlifts, I got this sensation between my shoulder blades.  It immediately stopped after I set the weights down.  I however don't want to injure anything, any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#1]
My guess would be similar to what was discussed in the 5/3/1 thread.  At some point during the movement, you lost focus on form/technique and strained a muscle between your shoulder blades.  If you haven't had any further problems, I wouldn't let it slow me down, but I would try to stay aware of past problems such as this, add a * note to your workout log and stay focused on preventing it from happening again.

FWIW, just last week I was doing heavy BB shrugs and on my last rep of the set, I ever so briefly lost focus as I was lowering the weight back to the pins of my power cage. I relaxed my upper body brace before fully setting the weight down and instantly felt a burning/pulling sensation in my center back, just below my shoulder blades alongside my spine.  Yeah, it freaked the shit outta me and I skipped my last set.  Thankfully I didn't have any lingering problems, but it was my reminder that focus has to be maintained from the moment I grip the bar to the moment I release it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

My guess would be similar to what was discussed in the 5/3/1 thread.  At some point during the movement, you lost focus on form/technique and strained a muscle between your shoulder blades.  If you haven't had any further problems, I wouldn't let it slow me down, but I would try to stay aware of past problems such as this, add a * note to your workout log and stay focused on preventing it from happening again.

FWIW, just last week I was doing heavy BB shrugs and on my last rep of the set, I ever so briefly lost focus as I was lowering the weight back to the pins of my power cage. I relaxed my upper body brace before fully setting the weight down and instantly felt a burning/pulling sensation in my center back, just below my shoulder blades alongside my spine.  Yeah, it freaked the shit outta me and I skipped my last set.  Thankfully I didn't have any lingering problems, but it was my reminder that focus has to be maintained from the moment I grip the bar to the moment I release it.

You are more than likely correct.  It was on the last rep of my first set after warmup.  It was just an an pain, I've strained muscles before and it felt nothing like this.  This was an actual sensation like being burned.  It was a little sore today.  I'll probably just skip deads this next week and replace power cleans with pullups only.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the stuff Hank posted about shoulder rehab in the 5/3/1 thread, and also do some face pulls and see how they feel.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like your rhomboids telling you to pull your shoulders back at the top of your deadlift.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top