Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2012 8:33:48 AM EDT
a couple of girls at work are going on the Atkins diet or a points diet or a something like that. But they aren't doing any fitness at all they sit at a desk 8 hrs a day then go home and sit and watch tv. but they use to make comments about how I was going to gain weight working here. been here a year I gained some weight but lost a inch in my waist. muscle weights more then fat working on a six pack now. spend close to 2 hours a day in the gym 5 days a week. now that its warming up I plan on breaking the road bike and kayak out. but I eat like a pig and I'm in shape I was wondering if they would be able to lose the weight and keep it off with just a diet and being lazy?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Simplest answer:  yes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:51:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

a couple of girls at work are going on the Atkins diet or a points diet or a something like that. But they aren't doing any fitness at all they sit at a desk 8 hrs a day then go home and sit and watch tv. but they use to make comments about how I was going to gain weight working here. been here a year I gained some weight but lost a inch in my waist. muscle weights more then fat working on a six pack now. spend close to 2 hours a day in the gym 5 days a week. now that its warming up I plan on breaking the road bike and kayak out. but I eat like a pig and I'm in shape I was wondering if they would be able to lose the weight and keep it off with just a diet and being lazy?

They gym is statistically the worst place for most people wanting to lose weight.

Cardio and weight training trigger some very impressive weight gaining hormones and appetite boosters.

I know you are enjoying being smug because you see results in your life; but, they are dealing with a female metabolism at a certain age.  They will gain weight in the downhill slide from 20-30 and badly in 30-40.  It's much easier for guys to maintain.

The fact is, diet is where your body fat percentage is coming from.  Not your time at the gym.  Even in you.  

Abs are built on your dinner plate.

Can they lose weight and keep it off?  Of course.  What a silly question.  Will they look like crossfit models?  Of course not.

Body is what you make it and it takes sacrifice down the board.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Lose weight, yes. Keep it off, depends. You can go on the Atkins diet and lose 4+lbs a week with little to no exercise, just the way it works. Keep it off? Not if they go back to what caused them to gain the weight in the first place. Even with no exercise your body burns calories. Eat fewer calories than your body burns, you'll lose weight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not wanting to lose weight. I'm trying to bulk up. they are trying to lose weight. I was wondering if they would be able to and keep off the weight
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If they fix a lifestyle problem with a diet solution, no they won't keep the weight off. If they fix a lifestyle problem with a lifestyle solution it is very likely they will keep the weight off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm not wanting to lose weight. I'm trying to bulk up. they are trying to lose weight. I was wondering if they would be able to and keep off the weight

If they can stick to a healthy diet of course they can keep it off...in fact they'll be able to keep it off better than someone who eats like shit and is in the gym for 2 hours every day (how long does it take to run off a jelly filled doughnut?).

Now if you're asking if Atkins is sustainable that's a different question....I would argue for most people it is not.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I found out that it is the Atkins diet I don't eat like shit I eat fairly clean just not as clean as some people. she's trying to lose 100 pounds and then stop the diet I'm not trying to stop them I'm just trying to convince them to exercise to
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I found out that it is the Atkins diet I don't eat like shit I eat fairly clean just not as clean as some people. she's trying to lose 100 pounds and then stop the diet I'm not trying to stop them I'm just trying to convince them to exercise to

Puncuation man....

I wasn't specifically referring to you, just giving an example- I have no idea what your diet is like. If she's going to lose 100# and stop the diet then she'll get fat again...exercise won't stop it either. As stated above she needs to make a PERMANENT lifestyle change if she wants to keep it off. Exercise would help her to be healthy, but diet is much more important if she's just wanting to lose weight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So, if she really knocked it out of the park and lost 100 Ibs in 1 year, then stopped.  Bet, what, maybe 3-4 months to be back at her original weight?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]
or more...

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright thanks yall thats what i was wanting to make sure of.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been on Atkins since October 1.  It was the ONLY thing that allowed me to take off any weight at all, and I wasn't overweight to begin with.  I'm small framed and carrying around 125 pounds was too much and made me hurt all over.

The ONE big thing I've noticed is that when you cut out refined carbs (white bread, white rice, crackers, etc) the sugar number declines WITH the carb number most of the time.  I gave up skim milk in favor of unsweetened almond milk and took my bread from a storebought wheat to a high protein fresh made (no preservatives) whole grain that has a whopping 12 grams of fiber a slice.  I still eat complex carbs (broccoli, cauliflower, mukimame, etc).  Sweet tea?  Forget about it.

It's not HARD to stick to this diet if you WANT to stick to the diet, but it does require planning ahead.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Paleo

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#14]
^ damn, nice work man. Love paleo
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#15]
i should have put a timeline on there.  that was about 9.25 months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top