Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 8:16:22 AM EDT
So for my new year resolution I'm trying to quit smoking, been smoking a pack a day for a few years now and its gotten expensive. Anybody that has quit have any suggestions or tips or something that helped you quit, because this is turning out to be a hell of a lot harder than i thought it would be.  And I'm trying to quit without using any of the aids like the patch, and especially without prescriptions drugs, cause I really don't like the idea of a pill changing my brain chemistry. And i figured this would be the right place to post this being health and fitness related and all
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Wish I could help, I was a pack a day smoker back in the 80's (for about 8yrs) then one day just up a quit cold.
I smoke an occasional cigar but nothing daily or even weekly.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I quit cold turkey. I used sugar free peppermint lifesavers to help me. Best of luck, you will feel so much better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I smoked a pack or more a day for 6 years and quit over 2 years ago. I slowly started smoking less and less until one day i just didn't smoke. The first few days without one are the worst but after a week or so you'll find that it's alot easier to go through the day without one. Even though it's been a couple years for me i still want one every so often but the cravings aren't near as bad. You may start eating alot more like me and that's my next hurdle. Just wait until the dreams start and you wake up thinking you smoked a cigarette. They're really vivid.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Cold turkey here - 6 months and going.

Never assume there is a "good time" to quit. There isn't.

Dont smoke because you are "stressed" - go for a run around the block or go hit the weights or do 100 jumping jacks until the urge is gone.

NEVER give up after the first 72 hours. The nicotine is out of your body by and large, and its all in your head at that point.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wish I could help, I was a pack a day smoker back in the 80's (for about 8yrs) then one day just up a quit cold.
I smoke an occasional cigar but nothing daily or even weekly.

Good Luck!

same here, just quit cold.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Altoids. That and don't buy smokes. If you don't have them, you can't smoke them. It's tough, but do-able. Especially if you don't have a "stashed just in case" pack somewhere.

Going on 9 years now for me.

ETA: Smoked for 15 years. Cold turkey worked after a couple of failed Nicorette tries. Having nicotine in your system just makes the cravings last longer IMO.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I smoked 2 packs a day for 20 years ot's all mental, just don't do it.  I quit after heart surgery, something about figuring you just killed yourself can make you stop for sure
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I quit October 1 2009 using the patch and occasionally a half a piece of nic gum. I know it sounds like a no brainer but the key to quitting is to not smoke anymore. Not even one puff no matter how bad you want it. Stay strong and it's only real bad for a few weeks.

You can do it man. Its great not living your life around the next smoke break.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I quit smoking by starting dipping. Quitting smoking was no issue, quitting dipping was a 4 year process. Everytime I would quit and later buy a can it wasn't because I intended to take up the habit again, I just simply wanted one dip or just one can. It took a lot of failed attempts to realize there is no such thing as "just one". Ive been successful now for 3 years impart due to quitting when I returned home from a deployment and the big life change made it easier to leave old habits behind.

My advice is to take a good look at the patches, gums and drugs. Quitting smoking is quitting smoking. You don't get bonus points for doing it cold turkey. Your talking about quitting a habit that not only shortens your life but decreases quality of life also. I actually wished I had tried using some of them, it would have likely saved me a lot of struggle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I quit back in October. I was a 2 pack a day smoker, I quit Cold Turkey and I still have cravings but they aren't strong. Tried a cigarette around Nov 1st, 2011 and I hated the taste and that pretty much did it for me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I used chantix. No issues with it.

Get rid of all your smoking stuff, lighters, ashtrays etc. It helps you forget you were a smoker.

I took some vacation so I wasn't a total ass to coworkers.

2 years and going strong

Just do it!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Got snowed in for 3 days without smokes.  Figured good time to quit.   After few more days told some friends I quit.  Haven't smoked in 4 years.  Put on some weight though and it's harder to lose as you get older.......
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#13]
thank you guys for the suggestions and encouragement, I'm starting to think I can do this now. Getting in the car or drinking coffee and not lighting up is a bitch though
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

thank you guys for the suggestions and encouragement, I'm starting to think I can do this now. Getting in the car or drinking coffee and not lighting up is a bitch though

Getting in the car was my HARDEST hurdle. All the sudden alot of my friends started getting 2 minute phone calls while I was driving to the grocery store. It helped me keep my mind off things.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Smoked two packs a day for years. Quit cold turkey. I ate lots of sunflower seeds and wintergreen lifesavers. Once that nicotine wears off, it is like a fog lifting around you. That 'life is boring and barely worth living without smokes' feeling changes to ' why did I ever waste so much money on that urine smelling crap'.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I quit almost 3 years ago, cold turkey is the only way. Every time i got a craving I would brush my teeth.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I smoked a pack a day for 5 years. One day, I gave away a full pack of cigs.

I think getting over that mental hurdle of "I'll quit after this pack" did the trick.

The first three weeks was pure Hell. Especially since I was a very social smoker and a very social person at the time.

After the three weeks, I was good to go...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#19]
smoked 2 packs a day for about 18 years
just decided to quit one day
chewed sunflower seeds till my cheeks bled
been almost 5 years and I still crave cigarettes often
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I quit in 2004 after 15 years it was not easy and I chewed that damn gum for like 6months!  But I do feel so much better and have extra money for toys now lol
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I quit in 2004 after 15 years it was not easy and I chewed that damn gum for like 6months!  But I do feel so much better and have extra money for toys now lol

I honestly don't feel any different but the toy money is very nice
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]
7 years and I still look to see whats on sale at the store. Quit both dip and smoke cold turkey on the same day. Car rides were the worst...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm very impressed by those of you who have had the strength to quit smoking.  It sounds so freaking hard to stop.  One of the reasons that I never tried smoking beyond an occasional cigar is that I was scared that I wouldn't be able to quit.

Congratulations to those who have stopped and best of luck to those trying to stop.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Just don't smoke.... ever again.

You really have to want to leave the habit behind.. You will always love cigarettes, but you must let them go.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread is a kick in the nuts reminder of why i won't pick up smoking again.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Yup, been six months and I still get about 2 cravings a day - doesn't help the better half still smokes a pack a day.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I used the patch and an ecig to quit a 2 pack a day habit I had for 13 years. The biggest thing is you have to be ready mentally, becouse the mental addiction is the hardest thing to break
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I used chantix for a month in july and have not smoked since then but it was like losing a close friend.  It's amazing the psychological addiction tobacco has on you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Cold turkey 21 years ago. Electronic cigs help a lot from what I hear.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Good luck.

My father, god rest his soul, was a chain smoker and an alcoholic. He drank a minimum of 9 beers a day, started the first three when he sat in the drive way after driving home from work. He smoked like a freight train. My uncle was the same way, they hung out on family vacations and drank and smoked all the time.

Back in 2001 my uncle had pancreatitis from alcoholism. Aganizing pain, in a medically induced coma for months. Horrible. They gave him so much pain meds and nothing touched it. That scared my dad and he quit drinking cold turkey. Now my dad was drinking enough he should have had medical supervision, but he just quit cold turkey. He never drank any more after that.

I remember him trying to quit smoking a couple of times, he always fell back on it. Ultimately his smoking led to his high blood pressure and the strokes that killed him.

Good luck, you can do this. Its going to be tough but it will save your life.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Smoked a pack a day for 18 years. I tried everything patches, gun, chantix, etc. Finally just quit cold turkey. I did use North Carolina's quit line and it was a big help. They called every couple of days just to see how I was doing. The biggest problem I always had when I tried before was the I'll just have one syndrome. You can't do that, I finaaly realized that I am an addict and that I can't have any nicotine. So ar its worked I have been smoke free for 3 and a half years.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Once  you decide to quit and put that cigarette out, you become an ex-smoker. From that point on, you can NEVER have the first cigarette. If you do, you will be a smoker again. If you don't you won't.

It really is that simple.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I show my patients pictures of the feet I have to cut off due to smoking causing ischemia.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Do whatever it takes to stop.  Cold turkey, chantix, patch, but not dip or snuff or other replacement tobacco...

I smoked for about 20 years or so... My fiancée smoked off and on for about the same length of time. It took her laying flat on a hospital gurney while a stent was put into her left anterior descending artery to give her the drive to stop. She took chantix for 2 weeks then she was done. I quit 2 days after she stopped because I didn't
Realize she stopped when she did.  This was last February. She hasn't smoked since, I had one cigarette. It tasted awful.

We don't smell like smokers anymore, we taste our food now, our sense of smell has improved, and life is better as a whole. We've got a better chance of seeing our kids grow up instead of dying of smoking related illness.

Just do it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I show my patients pictures of the feet I have to cut off due to smoking causing ischemia.

Whats fucked up is all the strange stuff smoking causes. Not just lung cancer, emphysema, and heart disease. But mouth cancer, GI cancers, bladder cancer, and the one that is really bizzare is degenerative disk disease. A neurosurgeon friend of mine told me that they know smoking greatly increases the chance of degenerative disk, thats nuts.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#36]
chantix.......
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#37]
cinnamon nicotine gum 2 boxes then buy regular big red chewing gum  

whenever you feel like a cigarette drink a glass of milk instead

all else fails, just visit with someone waiting for new lungs in the ICU
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Thank you all for the support, this first couple days have been amazingly shitty. Before starting this thread I've always had the "just one syndrome" every other time I've tried to quit, now I realize why I was always trying to quit, no more of that. I'm quitting fucking cigarettes this time, I feel so much better and im not panting all the time now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thank you all for the support, this first couple days have been amazingly shitty. Before starting this thread I've always had the "just one syndrome" every other time I've tried to quit, now I realize why I was always trying to quit, no more of that. I'm quitting fucking cigarettes this time, I feel so much better and im not panting all the time now.

Come down here and rant, bitch, piss and moan if you need too. We're here for you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I quit my pack & a half habit @ 20 years ago.

I found aerobic exercise, specifically cycling, to be key in keeping me from going back.

Run, swim, or bike, to get your heart bumping and your lungs burning.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I quit on Nov 3rd 2008 after   25 year of 1 to 2 packs a day.   Best and hardest thing I ever did.   I quit a lot of times (for years) and just kept quitting until one day it just stuck.    

The biggest  thing for me was when I realized I was a slave to those demons.   They suck the life out of you and run you down so slow you don't realize it until you feel like an old old sick man.  

Cigarettes are evil.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I quit Jan 1 2011. Used snus for a few months to help with nic withdrawls.

I can't believe that worked for you.  I chewed from the time I was 16 until I was 36.  It was the worst thing in the world to quit.  When I was in the service everyone smoked (mid 90s) and we'd quit smoking when we got back from deployments.  But we never quit chewing.  

I finally told my wife I would quit if she didn't bitch about me buying a 93 Dodge diesel pickup.  I quit, I still own the pickup, and I can't wait until I'm 65.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top