Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 5:50:10 PM EDT
I need something to do on the treadmill - I get so bored.  I put a stand up in front of it for my lab top computer.  I was thinking some military channel stuff, WWII docs. or something else to keep my mind off the clock.  I guess I could buy DVD's or something but I kind of wanted something I didnt have to buy/rent.  I started watching youtube but the few min videos are kind of annoying.  It would be cool to exercise the mind while exercising the body.

Anyone got any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Run faster, do intervals, do repeats, do time trials, if you have an incline function then run hills. If you can focus on something else then you aren't running hard enough
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
netflix
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:57:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Run faster, do intervals, do repeats, do time trials, if you have an incline function then run hills. If you can focus on something else then you aren't running hard enough

Doc says I shouldn't run, knees wont hold up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:23:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are walking and you don't bounce too much, I suggest reading a good book.  Pick something that really interests you and get it in the large print format from your local library.

If watching videos on laptop, move the screen about a foot farther from you than you initially think is necessary, it will keep you from walking off to the side etc...

String up a youtube playlist of music videos?  Netflix stream?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then do the same things walking - faster, hills, intervals, etc.  Movies, TV, or music can be a good distraction.  Reading - I guess if you're going loooooong and easy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the suggestions - I just canceled netfix because I never used it and it doubled in price.  I tried youtube but I didnt know you could string videos together, Ill give that a try tonight.  I was on the military channel website last night, and they have bits of videos, kind of cool but too short.  Reading is out, too much bouncing around
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Previous injuries/surgeries?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Previous injuries/surgeries?

yes both - took out my ACL skiing, when I was 18. Got a mechanic job and I did a lot of kneeling working on low equipment now both my knees are in bad shape.  I used to jog and I found it quite relaxing and enjoyable - as long as I was outside.  My knee started bothering me again and had to have another surgery to clean it up.  I can run/play basket ball etc - but long term the doctor said I need to find something low impact or my knees will not be happy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
thanks for the suggestions - I just canceled netfix because I never used it and it doubled in price.  I tried youtube but I didnt know you could string videos together, Ill give that a try tonight.  I was on the military channel website last night, and they have bits of videos, kind of cool but too short.  Reading is out, too much bouncing around

Netflix online is $8 a month and what we use in front of our treadmill

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#10]
netflix

audio books

Magpul videos?...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I spliced some cable down into my basement and put a little bedroom TV on a stand in front of my treadmill. I can find something to watch with 60-odd channels (old TV) I get bored shitless after 2 minutes on a treadmill without it. Maybe an I pod- crank up the tunes?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Intervals would be the only thing that I can think of that would make using the treadmill suck less.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#13]
THINK ! My treadmill time is my crictal thinking time ! Ive got on it and starting thinking about something and 4 miles later i feel like ive been there 10 mins
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you tried an elliptical or precor machine OP?  Those are tons easier on my knees.  Lap swimming in a pool is even better on them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Treadjack.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Depending on your pace, you can do some dryfire drills. ( ammo out of the room of course )
I have a few IPSC/USPSA targets on the wall for this.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an iPad and I read books while on the treadmill.  I find a book lasts me quite a while since it is hard to concentrate while running and it's hard to breath while looking down at the iPad.  It works better on the elliptical.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:03:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I started Magpul videos last night with my rifle slug on........tonight Ill have to grab the SBR since the hand rails on the treadmill kept getting in the way.  I also found out that extend charging handles dig into your chest.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:04:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have you tried an elliptical or precor machine OP?  Those are tons easier on my knees.  Lap swimming in a pool is even better on them.

yes - really like the ellipticals but I dont have one yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top