Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 3:55:26 PM EDT

I was working around the house this weekend shirtless...and thought, I need to look better.  I want to start working out.  

I'm not huge (fat), I dont want to get huge (muscles), I just want to add a little muscle and tone up.

I'm 28, 6'2", 180#.  The only real fat I've got that I'm uncomfortable with is around my midsection.    

I went on a little workout kick a few years ago with free weights and it worked ok.  I just need to stick to it.

I have:

pair of 30lb dumbells

pair of 20lb dumbells

Any other reasonably cheap things to pick up?  I am planning on getting a pullup bar for a doorway, maybe some of those pushup things as well.

What type of supplements are recommended?  I thought about some creatine (used it before with reasonable success), but....have a hard time finding any I can stand to drink.  Any advice on creatine?  I know to drink LOTS of water, but...when should I take it?

Any general tips?  

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Primal diet, use compound lifts(squats and deadlifts), and high intensity intervals
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.melaleuca.com/ProductStore/ProductCategory.aspx?id=2

I started taking the Vita 6 pack a few months ago and fell much better.  I am going on 42 and started working out six months ago, but not looking to get big.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Figure out your general diet and workout routine first.  Worry about supplementation later.  There are no magic pills, powders or potions.  Supplements may help after you have the basics down.  In the beginning they're a waste of money.

That said, all creatine tastes like chewing on sand.  Buy the unflavored powder and take a teaspoon full in your mouth and then chase it with water.  Any creatine from a reputable source will do.  I generally take creatine before the workout along with a pre-workout mix.  Also add some quality protein powder.  Everyone's tastes differ, as does your gut's tolerance for it.  I like Gaspari Nutrition chocolate peanut butter powder - freaking delicious.  Multivitamin is a good idea.  That's it for basics.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I started taking the Vita 6 pack a few months ago and fell much better.  I am going on 42 and started working out six months ago, but not looking to get big.

Jesus, that's an expensive multivitamin...

OP- listen to Texas Sig...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Do it

Eat paleo/primal. I've played with it but wasn't real strict with it until the 1st (not on purpose) and I've already seen a difference and felt a difference.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Animal pak
Animal stak
Muscle milk
Amino acids
Methyl v
Liver fix
Cycle support
Better body sports pct

thank me in two months.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Animal pak

Animal stak

Muscle milk

Amino acids

Methyl v

Liver fix

Cycle support

Better body sports pct

thank me in two months.

He asked for reasonably cheap.

Amino acids are gtg...the rest is hardly needed for someone just starting out, or someone who values their cash.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Animal pak
Animal stak
Muscle milk
Amino acids
Methyl v
Liver fix
Cycle support
Better body sports pct

thank me in two months.

Amino acids are gtg...the rest is hardly needed for someone just starting out, or someone who values their cash.

Yeah, I know, I just posted what I have taken in the past that works wonders.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

How else can you make your urine more valuable?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any advice on creatine?  

The wild berry flavor tastes exactly like Kool-Aid, and you can't go wrong with ON quality.

Other than that, you could add the ON 100% Whey for pre and post workout.

You don't need anything else for supplements at this point.

Keep your diet simple and clean, stick to the basic compound lifts and get plenty of sleep.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:20:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any advice on creatine?

The wild berry flavor tastes exactly like Kool-Aid, and you can't go wrong with ON quality.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/images/CGT-10.jpg

Other than that, you could add the ON 100% Whey for pre and post workout.

You don't need anything else for supplements at this point.

Keep your diet simple and clean, stick to the basic compound lifts and get plenty of sleep.

This is the best adbvice if you are just looking to tone. Get a good multi vitemin, lots of rest and a good routine 4 or 5 days a week and in a couple months you will see a big difference

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Animal pak

Animal stak

Muscle milk

Amino acids

Methyl v

Liver fix

Cycle support

Better body sports pct

thank me in two months.

Yeah, I know, I just posted what I have taken in the past that works wonders.

Not only is all that stuff expensive, but they all make some pretty wild claims, and you have multiple supps up there that make the SAME claims...why double stack them?

Animal Pak is nothing but a very expensive multi+ BCAAs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I suppose you could sell it in fancy packaging with outlandish claims....

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't Melaleuca a scam like Amway, MLM, etc? Not that I personally care since it's ridiculously expensive anyway...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I started taking the Vita 6 pack a few months ago and fell much better. I am going on 42 and started working out six months ago, but not looking to get big.

Isn't Melaleuca a scam like Amway, MLM, etc? Not that I personally care since it's ridiculously expensive anyway...

After a little searching it appears to be a pyramid scheme like Amway yes.... That doesn't mean their products are bad, but when you look at a website like the one above with tons of claims and a really expensive product is screams "RUN!" to me.

You'd probably get more health benefits from the exercise you'd get from running away from them anyways.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Eat meat and do starting strength or strong lifts.  If your not squatting your wasting your time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Good fuck working out sucks when you havent been doing it

Thanks for the advice guys - I just did a few reps to get going, get my muscles used to this shit.  

Plan on hitting it hard(er) next week.  I'll probably try to establish a routine and do it for at least a week before I get into supplements.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Bicep curls

Tricep kickbacks

shrugs

Chest flys

Bench press

Pushups

So far...just doing reps of 10.  

Plan to work in squats, and some type of core exercise, along with pullups.  Still need to grab a few things...

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#22]
If you are just starting out you don't need a lot of shit because it won't do you much good.

Get a good EFA, multi vitamin, BCAAs, and protein.  Other than that you won't need the preworkout and other shit for a whiel.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bicep curls
Tricep kickbacks
shrugs
Chest flys
Bench press
Pushups

Plan to work in squats, and some type of core exercise, along with pullups.  Still need to grab a few things...

Stop doing that shit and look into starting strength. I wasted the better part of a year doing a similar routine.  Do the BIG compound lifts. Squats, deads,bench,press,pullups,rows etc. If your read a new fancy routine in FLEX forget everything they said.

Get strong man
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bicep curls

Tricep kickbacks

shrugs

Chest flys

Bench press

Pushups

Stop doing that shit and look into starting strength. I wasted the better part of a year doing a similar routine.  Do the BIG compound lifts. Squats, deads,bench,press,pullups,rows etc. If your read a new fancy routine in FLEX forget everything they said.

Get strong man

I think it was mentioned once before in this thread

It never ceases to amaze me, we get guys in here that want help and unless they have very sport specific goals they get told to bench, squat, and deadlift, accessory lifts and cardio...3 days later they come back and ask us to critique their workout filled with bicep curls and tricep kickbacks....lol...

Oh well

OP- listen to Gunguy here...drop all that shit and hit the big compound lifts. AT SOME POINT doing curls and flys and such MAY be in line with your goals. But right now you need the big lifts, + accessory lifts (stiff leg DL, split squats, back extensions, GH raises, pullups etc...)
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It never ceases to amaze me, we get guys in here that want help and unless they have very sport specific goals they get told to bench, squat, and deadlift, accessory lifts and cardio...3 days later they come back and ask us to critique their workout filled with bicep curls and tricep kickbacks....lol...

It's really not that different that folks who are running single digit miles per week and want to improve their PRT/PFA run or 5K times asking what exercises they should do...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's really not that different that folks who are running single digit miles per week and want to improve their PRT/PFA run or 5K times asking what exercises they should do...

Exactly...."I want a sub 6 min mile, but I can't run more than 5 miles a week...what should I do"

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Nate- if it seems like we're starting to pile on you, maybe it's because we are.

It's only because we care though

Seriously, we just hate to see people waste their time, we want you get the best results possible- that's why we're blunt in our advice and critique...not to try to belittle you or make you feel stupid. Hell, I think WE ALL wasted our time in the gym at some point in our lives, we're just trying to shorten that time for you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Nope, pile it on guys - that's why I posted here, I have no idea what I'm doing.  If I'm fucking up, tell me.  

So, I pretty much need to join a gym, or get more shit, correct?  I guess my little dumbbells aren't going to cut it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Nope, pile it on guys - that's why I posted here, I have no idea what I'm doing. If I'm fucking up, tell me.

So, I pretty much need to join a gym, or get more shit, correct? I guess my little dumbbells aren't going to cut it.

You can get an ok workout with dumbells, but if your serious:

1. Join a good gym (sometimes the best ones will be little hole in the wall dungeon type gyms; they let you do the good stuff)

2. Invest in your own weights. You can find some killer deals on craigs list.

So my very basic advice would be to follow something like starting strength. In a nutshell you'll be squatting, deadlifting and benching a lot with some accessory lifts. Aside from that, do some cardio as you're looking for well rounded fitness. Row, run, bike, Crossfit, circuit courses etc...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#35]
i avoid the supplements for the first few weeks i work out and concentrate alot on cardio and high reps and lower weight. this helps me get rid of the little bit of fat on my belly and tones me up quickly.

then once i wanna start gaining some mass I start drinking protein shakes  and lifting heavier weights with lowers reps. the whey protein is better, and i'll mix in a little creatine and some glutamine in there , I don't use much of the creatine though, It does bulk you up but it makes your muscles looks sorta blocky and shapless in my experience. the whey protein will help your body build the muscle naturally and the glutamine should help a bit with muscle anabolism which is a problem i have when i lean out and continue to work out and push myself hard.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You have a probelm being anabolic? Wish I had that problem.

yeah i'm a pretty skinny guy @ 5'10" and 160lbs . even when i've taken a year off from working out like now i've only got minor fat around my lower two abs and a hint of some love handles. I do stay pretty active and don't really eat huge meals though.

When i hit the gym i try to push myself pretty hard, i'll drop the excess fat real quick and build muscle fairly quickly but i plateau out rather fast as well, at that point if i don't start to use the glutimate i just hover around a weight/mass and can't gain anything no matter what i do. pissed me off a lot until i finally figured out my body was just eating the muscle and that I need to make sure and up my caloric intake as well as take the supplements in order to make it past that plateau.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think the term you are looking for is "catabolism", which is the opposite of "anabolism".

you may be right. i get them mixed up and the quote below always kinda confuses me . one way or the other... if i push too hard without taking the supplement and eating properly my body will eat it's own muscle.

"Many of these catabolic hormones express an anti-catabolic effect in muscle tissue. One study found that the administration of epinephrine (adrenaline) had an anti-proteolytic effect, and in fact suppressed catabolism rather than promoted it.[2] Another study found that catecholamines in general (i.e. noradrenaline/norepinephrine and adrenaline/epinephrine) greatly decreased the rate of muscle catabolism.[3]"
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
.... I need to make sure and up my caloric intake as well as take the supplements in order to make it past that plateau.

you're right,  I probably wasn't eating enough often times as I'm busy with work and fit in my work outs whenever I could. I mentioned upping my caloric intake here as part of it because I think that was a large part of me having trouble gaining muscle mass as well.

by supplements i mean a protien shake with a bit of the glutimate and tiny bit of creatine thrown in. And i'm not saying they were the cure to me not gaining mass...but i think they helped by at least giving me some protein for rebuilding and more calories for my work out.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Nope, pile it on guys - that's why I posted here, I have no idea what I'm doing. If I'm fucking up, tell me.

So, I pretty much need to join a gym, or get more shit, correct? I guess my little dumbbells aren't going to cut it.

1. Join a good gym (sometimes the best ones will be little hole in the wall dungeon type gyms; they let you do the good stuff)

So my very basic advice would be to follow something like starting strength. In a nutshell you'll be squatting, deadlifting and benching a lot with some accessory lifts. Aside from that, do some cardio as you're looking for well rounded fitness. Row, run, bike, Crossfit, circuit courses etc...

I'll just add that doing something is better than doing nothing.  Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  Start training with what you have and keep an eye out for ways to get access to more appropriate gear/facilities.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Bicep curls
Tricep kickbacks
shrugs
Chest flys
Bench press
Pushups

Get strong man

I think it was mentioned once before in this thread  

Oh well

OP- listen to Gunguy here...drop all that shit and hit the big compound lifts. AT SOME POINT doing curls and flys and such MAY be in line with your goals. But right now you need the big lifts, + accessory lifts (stiff leg DL, split squats, back extensions, GH raises, pullups etc...)

OP do starting strength! Third times the charm!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll just add that doing something is better than doing nothing. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Start training with what you have and keep an eye out for ways to get access to more appropriate gear/facilities.

Great point, thanks for pointing that out- definitely start now with whatever you have and make improvements from there.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#47]
http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/store.php?crn=199&rn=413&action=show_detail

This book tells you how to squat, bench, dealift, overhead press and powerclean. Their are very few resources out there that are as thourough and all in one as this is when it comes to breaking down the big lifts. That and a video camera to critique yourself and your golden. When I say video camera I don't mean a mirror as an acceptable substitute.

There is also a starting strength DVD. I know nothing of it but assume it is a video instruction of the lifts and at $25 is cheap for that kind of DVD.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/store.php?crn=199&rn=413&action=show_detail

This book tells you how to squat, bench, dealift, overhead press and powerclean. Their are very few resources out there that are as thourough and all in one as this is when it comes to breaking down the big lifts. That and a video camera to critique yourself and your golden. When I say video camera I don't mean a mirror as an acceptable substitute.

There is also a starting strength DVD. I know nothing of it but assume it is a video instruction of the lifts and at $25 is cheap for that kind of DVD.

+1000

Even if you don't do the Starting Strenght program its worth buying the boook and DVD just to learn the lifts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top