Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 4:16:31 PM EDT
Ok, here's my deal:

I'm 6' 3'' 155. Too Damn Skinny, I've decided, partly because I just got turned down for health insurance because I was too skinny for their height/weight requirement tables.

Problem is I've got a really fast metabolism, so every time I've tried to gain weight in the past, it's just either moved muscle around as I worked out (from one part of the body to another, keeping same weight) or I've gained a little weight then had it go away again. I've tried dietary supplements, but most of them tasted so vile that I gagged on the things.

I need help with workout regimen, diet regimen, and just general "gaining weight." Most of what muscle I do have is in my lower body, so I'd like to put on upper body weight if possible.

One small factor: I do have a bowflex, oddly enough. Used to be my brother's but I ended up with it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Try to increase your intake of protein. If you're working out lifting heavy with few reps (as opposed to light and many reps) and getting plenty of protein in your diet you should gain muscle mass.
Eating lean steak will give you plenty of protein, and a Foreman Grill is a great tool for lean cooking; however, since you have fast metabolism you don't have to worry as much about the lean part. Just make sure you get plenty of protein.
A common rule is that you should get a gram of protein for every pound you weigh. There are plenty of Whey Protein products on the market, but you can also buy egg yolk protein in most grocery stores for about $8.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Ever try the 'sea' food diet?....you SEE food you eat it!..[;)]..Good food that is.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
DO NOT DO CARDIO! Workout hard with heavy wieght and give your muscles at least a day off in between workouts. Within one hour of your workout (i.e. the "golden hour") consume 40 grams of protien in the form of a whey protein shake for fast absorbtion. Consume about a gram of protien per pound body wieght (155 grams per day) and six times that amount in soft, read potatoes and such, carbohydrates (750 grams) per day. And last but not least find a gym, someone to workout with and a buff dude to lead you in the right direction.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Good advice.  There is also a book called "Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding" which has a lot of good information about diet and weight excersize.  At age 19, I was 6'2...155# and went to a semi-lean 195 in a few years.  The main thing is to EAT all the time and DO NOT overtrain.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, everyone. Will do.

Any advice on supplements and all those other things I see in the GNC and so forth? There are about a million different things to help people *lose* weight -- anything to help gain?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah, my problem is physically eating that much. But thanks, I'll get to it.

Which of the various supplements do people find most palatable? I tried "weight gain 2000," but it took weeks to get a mix that I could drink without gagging (banana flavor, in a blender with orange juice.)
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top