Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2002 8:39:27 AM EDT
Hi Fellas,
I've been a member here for awhile, but never stopped in here before ,I'm sure this has been brought up before but are the bowflex machines any good? do they live up to their promise? how are they quality -wise? Any problems with them? I've been exercising for about a year now, after I had a rather nasty auto-accident, exercising has really, really, helped me,(lost about 44lbs,so far) I feel great, however, because I'm now working 10hrs a day with a hour ride to and from work, I often don't feel like going to the gym when I get home, and have to wait in line to get on some of the machines,So, I'm only going once a week (sunday) I'm thinking of buying a bowflex (not sure of model, but it's the $1500.00 one) And working out at home,I'm thinking this will work out better for me,and I'll get a better workout as well,I'm thinking of working out maybe 3 times a week, Opinions??? Comments from owners??  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#1]

My good buddy is still making payments on his bowflex.  It is probably the best machine-type home gym out there.  Unlike almost all the other one's I've used, it allows for full range of motion and offers smooth movements from the moving parts.

BUT, I would strongly recommend not buying it.  Free weights are a much better choice.  Machines simply do not make you big and strong.

You should be able to get a nice little home set of free weights for less than $1500.

Here's the basics:

-flat bench w/ 45lb bar that also moves to incline and vertical positions
-pullup bar on wall
-squat rack- a step for calves
-weights as needed including dumbells.

-Good luck

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My good buddy is still making payments on his bowflex.  It is probably the best machine-type home gym out there.  Unlike almost all the other one's I've used, it allows for full range of motion and offers smooth movements from the moving parts.

BUT, I would strongly recommend not buying it.  Free weights are a much better choice.  Machines simply do not make you big and strong.

You should be able to get a nice little home set of free weights for less than $1500.

Here's the basics:

-flat bench w/ 45lb bar that also moves to incline and vertical positions
-pullup bar on wall
-squat rack- a step for calves
-weights as needed including dumbells.

-Good luck

View Quote

If you don't have room for all this stuff, the Bowflex is great! AB
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#3]
It worked Great for me!
[img]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/dimtext/kjn/people/swalker.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Dear God thats hideous.  Please make it go away.  As someone will say, "That makes the baby Jesus cry".
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.naafa.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Ralph,

My wife and I got a Bowflex machine. She loves it, but I find a little left to be desired. My main disagreements with it are I don't like the restrictions that machines place on how the exercises are performed and the "bows" have less resistance at the beginning of an action than through the rest of it (I don't get a good stretch on the pecs on the bottom of a rep like with a barbell and bench).

My solution is I have purchased some dumbbells to supplement the exercises I can do on the Bowflex. This allows greater flexibility to which exercise I use to work a bodypart.

My advice would be to look at which exercises do you like to do at the gym. (If you don't like it, you won't want to do it) Are they free weight or machines? Are you looking for peak performance or just to get in shape and get the blood moving? If you use free weights most of the time and are really looking for peak physical performance, you won't be satisfied with just a Bowflex. If you are just looking for exercise and have no real preference for free weights or machines, a Bowflex will fit your needs very well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
nichcon,
I don't think I can do free weights as a result of my auto-accident, I'm missing 3-4 ribs (I'm not sure, from bottom of rib cage up,on my left side)and the only thing thats holding my guts together in that area is muscle, So free weights are pretty much out,I'm looking to keep in shape,(I don't think I did too bad at the gym) and possibly lose some more weight,so,it looks like I'm stuck with a machine of some type,
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#8]

I'd say the bowflex is your best bet then.  

-Good luck
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is what Consumer Reports had to say about Bowflex:

[i]The best of the non-weight-stack machines, but pricey. Progressive resistance from flexible rods may feel somewhat unnatural.
Excellent range of motion for most exercises. Dual-cable design allows a lot of variation in resistance angles and types of exercises. Resistance is lower at start of exercises. Some exercises require setup, but you can still move fairly quickly through a routine. Has lying leg-curl station. Has sliding seat that can be used for rowing exercises, leg presses, and leg curls. Comes with 210 lb. of resistance, upgradable to 410 lb. Space: 97 inches x 73 inches.
WARRANTY: 5 year on machine, lifetime on power rods; 6-week money-back guarantee.
BUT: No adjustments on leg-extension/leg-curl station, though it fit average-size users fairly well. Cables may rub body during certain exercises. Grabbing hand straps is difficult for bench-press exercises. Not enough resistance for stronger users on leg-press exercise.[/i]

Their top-rated machine was a weight stack, the Hoist Multi-Gym H210 ($1700)

The best buy (and second highest rated) was the Body Solid Multi-Station Home Gym EXM-1500S for $700.  They had this to say:

[i]An outstanding performer that's an excellent value.
Provides very good range of motion and enough resistance for major exercises. Easy to adjust resistance. Little or no setup needed for exercises. Has leg support for lat pull-down station. Good knee alignment on leg extension and leg curl. Space: 70 inches x 44 inches.
WARRANTY: Lifetime.
BUT: No shoulder press. Difficult assembly.[/i]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top